These are especially good measures to take when moving into a new place, beginning ritual activities in a new space, or to release bad feelings and negativity when an inhabitant has been sick or has died.
To cleanse a single room:
- On top of a newspaper, set a blue candle.
- Surround with a circle of salt.
- Burn a little sage in the room.
- Light the candle, making sure it won’t tip over.
- Close the door and let the candle burn down.
- When finished, take newspaper, salt, and candle
- Leave the room and bury far from your home.
To cleanse a house:
- Sprinkle a little salt at each doorway and window.
- Burn sage in each room, paying special attention to windows and doors.
Cleansing with herbs:
Strew fragrant herbs (rosemary, basil, lavender, others you especially like). Sweep them up with the salt. Cast the swept herbs out your front door. Sweep them off your porch so they won’t get tracked back in.
Candles in the corners:
Select four corners. Set four candles – one in each corner, allow them to burn down.
- North – black
- East – white
- South – purple or dark red
- West – blue
Use this method to empower water to remove excess weight from your body.
- 1 ice tray
- Water, to fill the ice tray
- Yellow food coloring
- Lemon wedges
Tint the water a pretty yellow and pour it into the ice tray. Drink water with a lemon wedge over this ice as part of your diet.
Each time you add ice, affirm, “As the ice melts away, so too does my excess weight. So mote it be!”
From: Elemental Witch
Here is a spiritual cleansing ritual for the new moon:
Tools and Ingredients:
A star. Not as in a movie, but as in the sky. It can be a piece of jewelry, a Yule tree decoration, a picture of a star, a crystal window ornament, a pentacle, or whatever other star you might have. If you are outdoors, or have a window with a clear view on a clear night, you have many stars to choose from.
- Place your star before you. Or, if your star is in the sky, be in a place where you can see it.
- Get comfortable.
- Pick one thing – just one – inside yourself that keeps you from nurturing your soul. Something you would like to cleanse away in this ritual.
- Close your eyes. (just peek to read a step, then close your eyes to execute that step.)
- Imagine that far out in the sky is a star that was made just for you, just to heal you. This is your own special and private healing star. Pretend that such a star exists. Even if you can’t believe in this star, imagine it anyway. Pretend it’s real. It does exist.
- While imagining this star, get in touch with whatever inner block you have decided you want to be cleansed of. Feel it as much as possible.
- Send your inner block far, far out to your special healing star. Imagine the block traveling a long, long, long way to the star.
- Imagine the star kisses that block. This changes the block into a gift for you, but that is not part of the visualization. The gift is whatever internal attribute you need instead of the block, but you needn’t know what the gift is or picture it. Let the Goddess decide what the gift is.
- Sit quietly for a minute or two. Be open to your gift coming to you. You may feel something, you may see something, you may learn something. If you don’t, that’s good too; it is on it’s way. Just sit in as receptive a state as you can for as long as is comfortable.
from: Francesca de Grandis
We all get a bit of negative energy in us from time to time. Be it stress, or an empath receiving someone else’s trouble. This technique will help you rid yourself of these emotions and energy and bring you to a calmer state of mind.
You can do this in private, or anywhere where you can take a moment to breathe in a time of need.
Close your eyes and imagine the negative feelings as a a black ball. See it before you. With each breath out, watch the ball turn white. With each breath out, feel your self get calmer. Continue this until the ball is completely white.
Once it is totally white, watch this ball leave your sight. Feel your negative energy go with it, and breathe in the new calming sensation.
Source: Spells Of Magic
While researching a post on the “evil eye,” I came across this article posted by Pocket Glass. It describes a step by step ritual for cleansing, and I’m sharing it here because I really enjoyed it, and think it’s worth trying. My own thoughts about the ritual can be found at the bottom of the post.
- I cleansed the area and myself before performing the rite, using smoke from an incense stick relevant to the ritual.
- I laid a white paper towel on which I placed a small white bowl. Any white plate/bowl etc can be used. I made the personal choice to pour sea salt in the bottom of the bowl and added two bay leaves for purity and protection.
- I placed a glass inside the bowl on top of the salt. I poured water which I blessed inside the glass. Water is holy and blessed on its own. I gave thanks to my easy access to clean running water and the life it provides. I also took a sip and drank it in, grateful.
- When I cupped the egg in my hands I awoke it to its duties at hand. I immediately ran the egg all over my body, starting with my third eye. I rubbed the egg along my skin until I felt light and almost tingly. This in itself without the divination had a desirable positive result. I felt lighter.
- I cracked the egg into the water. I took photos before placing on the floor. It is currently near my feet, when I go to sleep it will be under my bed to finish absorbing any negative energies.
Here is the series of photos that she took:
The next day, after a night of absorbing any residual negative energies in the area, this is what the egg looked like:
What does it mean?
- Large bubble connected to the yolk area – indicates a spirit or entity attached to the person. It could be either positive or negative.
- Black speck/sediment denotes an enemy.
- Many small bubbles indicate multiple physical attacks
- Milkiness showing use of magick
There were so many small bubbles and a milkiness in the glass this morning. The small bubbles indicate physical attacks, the more bubbles the more attacks. The milkiness indicate that magick was used against the person. It surrounds the yolk. I can’t decide it it’s actually negative. It seems somewhat protective but I could be confused. I also see birds which would show the act of being spied on.
My second thought is if it’s possible for the egg to absorb negativity / energies / forces at work from another person sharing the same bed.
My own thoughts on the results:
My thoughts on the results are that because the egg is acting as a cleanser, and is used to absorb and pull out the negative energies, anything found in, on, or around the egg would be a cause for celebration that this is now GONE. And I would immediately take that egg out and away from my home and dispose of it in a fast flowing river that moves in a direction away from where I live and work. Alternatively, I would bury it in a graveyard, or burn it to a crisp and disperse the ashes at a crossroads… again, far from my home.
I also think it might be informative and interesting to break an egg into water BEFORE performing the ritual, and leave it under the bed over night to get an overall view of the energy currently at work. Then, (with a different egg, and new water) perform the ritual as explained in the above article. It would be interesting to see if the energy has changed in any significant way. If you decide to do this, don’t forget to take pictures of the before and after so you can compare.
In maritime lore, seawater was thought to cleanse a person thoroughly, absorbing any bad luck, due to the salt content of the water. Throwing salt into a fire for nine consecutive days was thought to break any chain of bad luck, while throwing salt at a person was sure to bring that person grief.
From: The Elemental Witch
War Water causes hexes but it also repels and removes them. Here’s a simple way to use it:
Add War Water to your bathwater. Light a white candle. As you soak, focus on the idea that the water is cleansing you and forming a protective barrier that no negative energy can penetrate. When you finish with the bath, visualize any negative energy that might have been attached to you, flowing down the drain. Dry yourself with a white towel.
War Water is not difficult to make, here’s a link to a simple recipe: War Water
by Madame Fortuna
- 1 tsp. of rose water
- 3 tbsp. sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1 small bowl of spring water
- 1 clean glass container
- 1 new compact mirror
- 1 small storage glass bottle (green or blue)
You can buy the bottled water as long as you know that it’s really spring water. But it’s best if you get the water from a running stream or other “live” body of water that you know the water is clean.
Before the Rite:
Cleanse and sterilize the bowl and the glass container with boiling water.
Time and Place:
Midnight during a Full Moon phase. Out of doors under the moon, or near a window that will reflect the light of the moon.
Set out your work cloth and all ingredients upon it. Take five or six deep breaths to relieve the stress of the day. Ground and center. Cast your magick circle in whatever way is familiar to you. Hold your arms outstretched in the Goddess position (arms out at the sides like you’re cradling the Universe, palms up). Say:
In the cloak of the midnight hour
I call upon the Ancient Power
I seek the presence of the Lady and Lord
To bless this water that I will pour.
At this point, you should feel the energy of Earth Mother and Skyfather move abut your feet and head. Feel your own energy expand around your navel and then unite with Divinity. Take your time; no need to rush.
Pour the rose water into the bowl of spring water. Pick up the bowl of water, hold it toward the light of the Moon, and say:
In my hands I hold the essence of the Goddess.
I hereby cleanse and consecrate this water to Divinity
that it may be used for positive acts only
and may aid me in my magickal works.
Feel the energy of the Moon Goddess pulsate down into the water. Imagine her silver light descending from the heavens and impregnating both the water and yourself. You will feel a “glowy” sensation. Set the water down and pick up the salt. Feel the power moving in your arms as you raise the salt toward the moon. Say:
In my hands I hold the essence of Earth Mother,
She whose bounty sustains all living creatures.
I hereby consecrate this salt to Divinity
that it may be used for positive acts only
and may aid me in my magickal work.
As with the water, imagine the energy of the Moon Goddess empowering the salt.
Set the salt down and pour a little into the bowl of water, and stir clockwise three times. Repeat this process twice more. With the bowl in your left hand (receiving) and the mirror in your right (sending), reflect the light of the moon off the mirror and into the bowl. After a few moments say:
This liquid is now pure and dedicated to the Lord and Lady.
It is free from all negativity in any time and any space.
Set the bowl and mirror down and hold out both of your hands, palms down, over (not touching) the bowl, about one inch above the water.
Let the vibrations of your body come alive. Open your third eye chakra and imagine a glowing purple light emanating from it. Form and open triangle with your hands over the water and project the light into it. In your mind, see the water change color and glow. Feel the power and energy flow from your head down through your arms and up from your feet and out from your arms simultaneously. When you feel the energy begin to dissipate, slowly lower your hands and say:
As I will
So mote it be
With the free will of all
And harm to none
This formula is done!
You may ground your energy in two ways. Either place your hands physically upon the ground and feel the energy drain into Earth Mother, or imagine your energy as a force field around you, and quietly step back out of the skeleton of energy and watch it collapse in upon itself and melt into the ground.
Transfer the water to your storage container and store it away until you are ready to cleanse and concencrate your sacred space. Be sure to clean up after yourself by putting all things away in their designated places so that you will be able to find them again next when they’re needed.
-Written by Silver RavenWolf
New time demands new spirit; this purification is required: prepare a basin of snow, or of clear water iced, and scatter over it earth dried in the sun to a fine dust. The hands should then be immersed and chilled, the brow anointed and cooled, and these words said:
now be redeemed:
seeing thyself in substance undefiled,
forming thyself anew
from this frail substance
gathered and revived.
Thus should it be done at morning, and again at evening: to charge the original chaste intellect, the innocent purpose failed.
If you would like some advice about what sort of magick is needed, simply enter a short explanation of your situation. Our resident witch will be happy to assist. Good Luck!!