Yule is a good time to chase out ill-meaning wights like mischievous elves, dwarves, and trolls. Though it’s said that wights are who they are, and some serve a purpose, some are just trolls – ugly dwarves or fiends – and unpredictable… and sending them back to where they came from is good for both them and us.
Here’s what one family does:
Towards the end of the night of our Yule Feast, we grab our large family Thor’s Hammer (He likes to chase Trolls), and a fire source such as a candle, and some noise makers, like drums that can sound like the thunder Thor is known for.
We then form a procession to go through the house waving the hammer and fire while drumming and rattling and shouting, “Out Trolls, out Trolls!” to scare these ill meaning wights out of the house.
This version of the chasing out that comes from an Icelandic custom called “bidding the alfs to home”…
The house-mother would sweep everywhere, in every corner, then kindle lights all through the house, wherever their might be a shadow. She then went out and around the dwelling, some say three times, and spoke,
‘Come, those who wish to come;
stay those who wish to stay;
and fare, those who wish to fare,
harmless to me and mine.’
Source: Hex Magazine
The purpose of a ritual bath is to cleanse Yourself, both inside and out. It is a rite in and of itself. Here is a general outline of what a ritual bath might consist of:
- The bath water can be infused with salts, herbs, oils that are in harmony with your purpose.
- Candles are lit – these too are chosen for color and scent that are appropriate to the moment. Also to set the mood and create an atmosphere of sacred mystery.
- Incense might be burned as well, to infuse the room with a specific aroma, to cleanse the room with the smoke, or as a fragrant offering to a deity.
- Music can be used to aid with meditation or visualization.
- Holy Water (if you have it) can be added to the bath water, or used as a rinse when the bath is complete.
- Some people like to have a glass of wine to drink and offer as an offering or libation to a chosen Deity.
- Try to include each of the four elements. Fire (candle, heated water), Earth (salt, herbs), Air (incense, aroma),
- Water (the bath itself). Think about them as you use, light, or immerse yourself in them.
When you light the candle, visualize the element of fire blessing you with warmth and light. When you light the incense, again, visualize the fire element. Then, as the smoke begins to rise gently blow the smoke and concentrate on the element of air that breathes through you to gently move the fragrant smoke, Turn on the water, and think about water, how it moves in the oceans, falls from the sky, and is now here – for you. Add your bath ingredients to the water as it flows into the tub, remembering the precious earth that nurtured the plants, and upon which you now stand.
As you lower yourself into the bath, relax and enjoy the warmth of the water and the scents in the air. If you have music playing, allow yourself to drift in the melodies. Relax and totally open yourself so that any negativity, sorrow, angst, worry, anxiety, anger, stress… etc… can be released. Just let it all go.
When you feel you are ready, pull the plug and stay in the tub until all the water has drained. As the water is draining visualize and know that the negative energies that are now in the water are going into the Earth and are grounded. If you did not add Holy Water to the bath, you can pour it on yourself now.
When you rise up out of the tub, you can do a self blessing. Here’s a really simple one that feels really good, especially if you say it several times:
I bless myself
I bless myself
If you have a chosen deity that has been invited to or invoked as part of your ritual, you can change the above blessing to fit. For example: “She blesses me, She blesses me, I am, I am”
If you have wine, and wish to do so, now is the time to pour a libation to the Deity and drink some of the wine. Then dry yourself off, clean up the bathroom, take the remaining libation outside to return it to the earth. And the rite is ended.
On a Friday night when everyone else in the house is asleep, cut an onion in half. Hold it up, visualize it as a psychic vacuum cleaner. Let it suck up all negativity. Let the onion rest on a table. Hold up one peeled crushed garlic clove. Visualize it as a psychic air cleaner. Leave it out for a little while.
Put both the onion and the garlic in a paper bag and dispose of them outside the home.
Found in: The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells
These are especially good measures to take when moving into a new place, beginning ritual activities in a new space, or to release bad feelings and negativity when an inhabitant has been sick or has died.
To cleanse a single room:
- On top of a newspaper, set a blue candle.
- Surround with a circle of salt.
- Burn a little sage in the room.
- Light the candle, making sure it won’t tip over.
- Close the door and let the candle burn down.
- When finished, take newspaper, salt, and candle
- Leave the room and bury far from your home.
To cleanse a house:
- Sprinkle a little salt at each doorway and window.
- Burn sage in each room, paying special attention to windows and doors.
Cleansing with herbs:
Strew fragrant herbs (rosemary, basil, lavender, others you especially like). Sweep them up with the salt. Cast the swept herbs out your front door. Sweep them off your porch so they won’t get tracked back in.
Candles in the corners:
Select four corners. Set four candles – one in each corner, allow them to burn down.
- North – black
- East – white
- South – purple or dark red
- West – blue
Use this method to empower water to remove excess weight from your body.
- 1 ice tray
- Water, to fill the ice tray
- Yellow food coloring
- Lemon wedges
Tint the water a pretty yellow and pour it into the ice tray. Drink water with a lemon wedge over this ice as part of your diet.
Each time you add ice, affirm, “As the ice melts away, so too does my excess weight. So mote it be!”
From: Elemental Witch
Here is a spiritual cleansing ritual for the new moon:
Tools and Ingredients:
A star. Not as in a movie, but as in the sky. It can be a piece of jewelry, a Yule tree decoration, a picture of a star, a crystal window ornament, a pentacle, or whatever other star you might have. If you are outdoors, or have a window with a clear view on a clear night, you have many stars to choose from.
- Place your star before you. Or, if your star is in the sky, be in a place where you can see it.
- Get comfortable.
- Pick one thing – just one – inside yourself that keeps you from nurturing your soul. Something you would like to cleanse away in this ritual.
- Close your eyes. (just peek to read a step, then close your eyes to execute that step.)
- Imagine that far out in the sky is a star that was made just for you, just to heal you. This is your own special and private healing star. Pretend that such a star exists. Even if you can’t believe in this star, imagine it anyway. Pretend it’s real. It does exist.
- While imagining this star, get in touch with whatever inner block you have decided you want to be cleansed of. Feel it as much as possible.
- Send your inner block far, far out to your special healing star. Imagine the block traveling a long, long, long way to the star.
- Imagine the star kisses that block. This changes the block into a gift for you, but that is not part of the visualization. The gift is whatever internal attribute you need instead of the block, but you needn’t know what the gift is or picture it. Let the Goddess decide what the gift is.
- Sit quietly for a minute or two. Be open to your gift coming to you. You may feel something, you may see something, you may learn something. If you don’t, that’s good too; it is on it’s way. Just sit in as receptive a state as you can for as long as is comfortable.
from: Francesca de Grandis
We all get a bit of negative energy in us from time to time. Be it stress, or an empath receiving someone else’s trouble. This technique will help you rid yourself of these emotions and energy and bring you to a calmer state of mind.
You can do this in private, or anywhere where you can take a moment to breathe in a time of need.
Close your eyes and imagine the negative feelings as a a black ball. See it before you. With each breath out, watch the ball turn white. With each breath out, feel your self get calmer. Continue this until the ball is completely white.
Once it is totally white, watch this ball leave your sight. Feel your negative energy go with it, and breathe in the new calming sensation.
Source: Spells Of Magic
While researching a post on the “evil eye,” I came across this article posted by Pocket Glass. It describes a step by step ritual for cleansing, and I’m sharing it here because I really enjoyed it, and think it’s worth trying. My own thoughts about the ritual can be found at the bottom of the post.
- I cleansed the area and myself before performing the rite, using smoke from an incense stick relevant to the ritual.
- I laid a white paper towel on which I placed a small white bowl. Any white plate/bowl etc can be used. I made the personal choice to pour sea salt in the bottom of the bowl and added two bay leaves for purity and protection.
- I placed a glass inside the bowl on top of the salt. I poured water which I blessed inside the glass. Water is holy and blessed on its own. I gave thanks to my easy access to clean running water and the life it provides. I also took a sip and drank it in, grateful.
- When I cupped the egg in my hands I awoke it to its duties at hand. I immediately ran the egg all over my body, starting with my third eye. I rubbed the egg along my skin until I felt light and almost tingly. This in itself without the divination had a desirable positive result. I felt lighter.
- I cracked the egg into the water. I took photos before placing on the floor. It is currently near my feet, when I go to sleep it will be under my bed to finish absorbing any negative energies.
Here is the series of photos that she took:
The next day, after a night of absorbing any residual negative energies in the area, this is what the egg looked like:
What does it mean?
- Large bubble connected to the yolk area – indicates a spirit or entity attached to the person. It could be either positive or negative.
- Black speck/sediment denotes an enemy.
- Many small bubbles indicate multiple physical attacks
- Milkiness showing use of magick
There were so many small bubbles and a milkiness in the glass this morning. The small bubbles indicate physical attacks, the more bubbles the more attacks. The milkiness indicate that magick was used against the person. It surrounds the yolk. I can’t decide it it’s actually negative. It seems somewhat protective but I could be confused. I also see birds which would show the act of being spied on.
My second thought is if it’s possible for the egg to absorb negativity / energies / forces at work from another person sharing the same bed.
My own thoughts on the results:
My thoughts on the results are that because the egg is acting as a cleanser, and is used to absorb and pull out the negative energies, anything found in, on, or around the egg would be a cause for celebration that this is now GONE. And I would immediately take that egg out and away from my home and dispose of it in a fast flowing river that moves in a direction away from where I live and work. Alternatively, I would bury it in a graveyard, or burn it to a crisp and disperse the ashes at a crossroads… again, far from my home.
I also think it might be informative and interesting to break an egg into water BEFORE performing the ritual, and leave it under the bed over night to get an overall view of the energy currently at work. Then, (with a different egg, and new water) perform the ritual as explained in the above article. It would be interesting to see if the energy has changed in any significant way. If you decide to do this, don’t forget to take pictures of the before and after so you can compare.
In maritime lore, seawater was thought to cleanse a person thoroughly, absorbing any bad luck, due to the salt content of the water. Throwing salt into a fire for nine consecutive days was thought to break any chain of bad luck, while throwing salt at a person was sure to bring that person grief.
From: The Elemental Witch
If you would like some advice about what sort of magick is needed, simply enter a short explanation of your situation. Our resident witch will be happy to assist. Good Luck!!