There is a lot to celebrate in March. This is a list of pretty much everything that goes on during the third month of the year. Many of these dates change from year to year. The days that change are marked with this » symbol.
March Lore and General Info:
- 2 » New Moon
- 18 » Full Moon – Crow Moon, Storm Moon, Alder Moon
- 31 » New Moon
Depending on which astrological system you adhere to, these are the signs that show up in March of 2022. Be aware that some of these dates will vary from year to year. Unlike the Sun signs which might just shift by 1 or 2 days, the dates of the various Moon signs will vary widely from year to year. The same holds true for the Chinese Zodiac. The Celtic Tree Signs are based on an arbitrary system and stay the same from year to year.
The February Sun begins in Aquarius and finishes up in Pisces:
- Pisces: Feb 18 thru Mar 20 » Sun in Pisces
- Aries: Mar 20 thru Apr 20 » Sun in Aries
The March 2022 Moon cycles through the signs as follows. You will notice that the Moon might begin the day in one sign and by the end of the day may have moved into another sign, so timing matters if you are wanting to be precise:
The moon cycles through the signs are as follows:
- Aquarius: Feb 27 thru Mar 1 » Moon in Aquarius
- Pisces: Mar 1 thru Mar 4» Moon in Pisces
- Aries: Mar 4 thru Mar 6 » Moon in Aries
- Taurus: Mar 6 thru Mar 8 » Moon in Taurus
- Gemini: Mar 8 thru Mar 11 » Moon in Gemini
- Cancer: Mar 11 thru Mar 13 » Moon in Cancer
- Leo: Mar 13 thru Mar 16 » Moon in Leo
- Virgo: Mar 16 thru Mar 18 » Moon in Virgo
- Libra: Mar 18 thru Mar 20 » Moon in Libra
- Scorpio: Mar 20 thru Mar 22 » Moon in Scorpio
- Sagittarius: Mar 22 thru Mar 24 » Moon in Sagittarius
- Capricorn: Mar 24 thru Mar 27 » Moon in Capricorn
- Aquarius: Mar 27 thru Mar 29 » Moon in Aquarius
- Pisces: Mar 29 thru Mar 31» Moon in Pisces
- Aries: Mar 31 thru Apr 2 » Moon in Aries
The Celtic Tree Signs in February:
- Ash: Feb 18 to Mar 17 – Ash Tree Month
- Alder: Mar 18 to Apr 14 – Alder Tree Month
- Gorse: Mar 21 – Vernal Equinox – Gorse Tree Day
The Alternative Celtic Zodiac is as follows:
- Pine: Feb 21 – Mar 2
- Willow: Mar 3 – Mar 12
- Lime: Mar 13 – Mar 20
- Oak: Mar 21 (Vernal Equinox) – Sign of the Oak Tree
- Hazel: Mar 22 – Mar 31
The Chinese Calendar and Zodiac
We are currently in the year of the Black Water Tiger. Each Month is also assigned a specific animal. Here’s what shows up in March 2022.
- Tiger: Feb 4 – Mar 4 (Chinese Zodiac)
- Tiger: Feb 1 – Mar 2 (Lunar Calendar – 1st Lunar Month)
- Rabbit: Mar 5 – Apr 4 (Chinese Zodiac)
- Rabbit: Mar 3 – Mar 31 (Lunar Calendar – 2nd Lunar Month)
Note: The traditional Chinese Astrology birth chart is built by the Chinese Stem Branch Calendar, not the Chinese Lunar Calendar, which I think is really confusing. Because of a difference in time zones, the lunar months will have different pattern between China and the USA.
Lucky and Unlucky Days
You might want to plan moving, traveling, major purchases, court dates, and weddings around these dates, avoiding the unlucky days and utilizing the lucky ones.
- These are the lucky days in March:
10 and 24.
- These are the unlucky days in March:
1, 2, 5, 8, 12, 14, 16, 28 and 29.
The first the greedy glutton slays,
The fourth cuts short the drunkard’s days.
Quick Good Luck Chant
Bad luck turn and
Bad luck flee.
Only good fortune
Comes to Me.
Place a pinch of salt on your left shoulder.
Holidays and Holy Days
Many of the holidays begin on the eve of the night before and end on the eve of the day of. It’s also important to remember that the dates of archaic festivals and feast days may vary widely depending on the source.
- 1: Matronalia – the Festival of Women
- 1: New Year’s Day in the old Roman calendar.
- 1: Mother March
- 1: Feriae Marti – Festival of Mars
- 1 » Shrove Tuesday
- 1 » Mardi Gras
- 1 » Pancake Day
- 1 thru 9: Navajo Sing – Festival in which fields are blessed in preparation for planting.
- 2: Holy Wells Day – the day of Ceadda, the Celtic goddess of healing springs and holy wells.
- 2 » Night of Hekate Suppers
- 2 » Ash Wednesday
- 2 » The 40 days of Lent
- 2 » Holy Wednesday
- 2 » Ascent of the Christ of the Gypsies
- 3 » The Noumenia
- 3: Aegir’s Day (Teutonic) – sometimes called the Celtic Sea Festival
- 3 » Celebrate Artemis’ Birthday on the March Crescent Moon
- 3: Creation Day
- 3 » Nyepi Day
- 3 » Feast of Purification (Bali)
- 3: Momo no Sekku – Peach Festival
- 3: Hina Matsuri – Girl’s Festival, or Doll Festival
- 4 » Celebrating The Agathos Daimon
- 4: The Anestheria – Greek festival of flowers
- 4: Feast of Rhiannon
- 4: Maha Shivaratri – Great Night of Shiva, Vigil and feast for Transcendence
- 5: The Festival of Navigation – Navigium Isidis
- 5 » Excited Insects (Chinese Farmer’s Calendar)
- 5 » Running of the Reindeer (Alaska)
- 5: Blessing of the Fleets by Isis
- 6 » Moon enters Taurus
- 6 » Cheese Fare Sunday
- 6 » Forgiveness Sunday
- 7 » Clean Monday
- 7 thru 14: Lesser Eleusinian Mysteries. Old Greek festival celebrating the marriage of Goddess Kore and God Dionysos, following their return from Elysium.
- 10: The Daedala
- 10: Hypatia’s Day
- 11: Johnny Appleseed Day
- 11: Hercules’ Day
- 12: Marduk’s Feast Day
- 12 » Snake Saturday
- 13 » Orthodox Sunday
- 13 » Snake Sunday
- 14: The Diasia to ward off poverty – Greece.
- 14: Equirria
- 15: Ides of March
- 16: Feast of the Hand of the God
- 16 thru 17: Bacchanalia – The festival of Bacchus, the Roman god of wine
- 17: St Patrick’s Day
- 17: Damballah’s Day
- 17: Liberalia – the festival of Liber and Libera, a Roman fertility god and goddess
- 17 thru 18 » Holi
- 18: Forgive Mom and Dad Day (Thomas Roy’s Calendar)
- 19: Festival of Anna Perenna – the Roman goddess of the circle of the year.
- 19: St. Joseph’s Day
- 19 thru 23: The Mivervalia and Quinquatria, main festivals of Minerva, the Roman goddess of war, wisdom arts and trades.
- 20: Festival of Isis
- 20: Ostara
- 20: Méan Earraigh – Vernal Equinox
- 20: Norooz – Persian/Zoroastrian New Year
- 20: Mabon (Southern Hemisphere)
- 20 thru 21: Feast of Esther, Purim
- 21: Festival of Salii
- 21: Music Day
- 21: Tea and Tephi Day – Irish holy day
- 22: Hilaria
- 22 thru 24: Hola Mohalla – Sikh
- 23: The Tubilustrium (also celebrated May 23)
- 23 » Day of Ekadashi
- 23: Summer Finding
- 23: Day of Artisans
- 24: Day of Blood
- 25: Christian New Year
- 25 » Dakini Day (Tibetan)
- 25: Birthday of Kwan Yin
- 26: Plowing Day
- 26 » Khordad Sal (Fasli, Iranian) – Alternative date Aug 24 (Shenshai)
- 27: Smell The Breeze Day
- 27 » Mothering Sunday
- 28: Ragnar Lodbrok`s Day – a celebration in honor of the sacking of Paris
- 29: The Delphinia, or Artemis Soteira of Artemis in Greece
- 29: Festival of Ishtar
- 29: Expulsion of the Demons of Bad Luck
- 29 thru 31: Borrowing Days
- 30: Festival of Salus
- 30: Day of Bau
- 30 » Pagerwesi (Bali) celebrates Sang Hyang Pramesti Guru, god of teachers and creator of the universe. Offerings are made to stave off evil forces, and also for the uncremated dead.
- 30: Festival of Renenutet
- 31: Festival of Luna – the Roman goddess of the moon.
- 31 » Night of Hekate Suppers
There is a surprising amount of magick associated with Saint days This is a very short list of the Saint days in March, there are many many more.
As time goes by I may end up listing them all, but for now, this is what I have.
- 1: St David’s Day
- 17: St Patrick’s Day
- 19: St. Joseph’s Day
- 24: Feast Day of Archangel Gabriel
- 25: Annunciation of the Virgin Mary
Recipes For March
Many seasonal recipes, including recipes for new and full moon ceremonies, ancient Greek and Roman holidays, Asian festivals and etc. can be found here: Seasonal Recipes.
Any March lore, almanac, astrological, and celebration dates that have been shared after this post was published can be found by searching the March posts to see what’s new.
A lot of work went into this post. It was which was compiled from various sources by Shirley Twofeathers for The Pagan Calendar, you may repost and share without karmic repercussions, but only if you give me credit and a link back to this website. Blessed be.
If an image has posted without permission please leave a comment and I will happily remove it, replace it, give credit, link love ~ whatever you prefer.
- Nadine Pipes: It’s Good Luck Day!
- Masood Malik: Moon Enters Scorpio
- Andrew Hidayat: The Agonalia
- gladieselmira: The Agonalia
- David Curtin: Feast Day of St Bernadette
Leave a Reply