There is a lot to celebrate in September. This is a list of pretty much everything that goes on during the ninth month of the year. Many of these dates change from year to year. The days that change are marked with this » symbol.
September Lore and General Info
- Sept 6 » New Moon
- Sept 7 thru Dec 10: Taurids Meteor Shower
- Sept 20 » Full Moon – Barley Moon, Harvest Moon
- Sept 22: Autumn Equinox – dates may vary slightly from year to year
Depending on which astrological system you adhere to, these are the signs that show up in September of 2021. Be aware that some of these dates will vary from year to year. Unlike the Sun signs which might just shift by 1 or 2 days, the dates of the various Moon signs will vary widely from year to year. The same holds true for the Chinese Zodiac. The Celtic Tree Signs are based on an arbitrary system and stay the same from year to year.
The September Sun begins in Virgo and finishes up in Libra:
The moon cycles through the signs as follows:
- Aug 29 – Sept 1 » Moon in Gemini
- Sept 1 – Sept 3 » Moon in Cancer
- Sept 3 – Sept 5 » Moon in Leo
- Sept 5 – Sept 8 » Moon in Virgo
- Sept 8 – Sept 10 » Moon in Libra
- Sept 10 – Sept 12 » Moon in Scorpio
- Sept 12 – Sept 14 » Moon in Sagittarius
- Sept 14 – Sept 16 » Moon in Capricorn
- Sept 16 – Sept 18 » Moon in Aquarius
- Sept 18 – Sept 21 » Moon in Pisces
- Sept 21 – Sept 23 » Moon in Aries
- Sept 23 – Sept 26 » Moon in Taurus
- Sept 26 – Sept 28 » Moon in Gemini
- Sept 28 – Oct 1 » Moon in Cancer
You will notice that the Moon might begin the day in one sign and by the end of the day may have moved into another sign, so timing matters if you are wanting to be precise.
The Celtic Tree Signs in September:
- Aug 5 thru Sept 1: Month of the Hazel Tree
- Sept 2 thru Sept- 29: Month of the Vine
- Sept 30 thru Oct- 27: Month of the Ivy
- Sept 21 thru Autumn Equinox: Aspen/Poplar
The Alternative Celtic Zodiac is as follows:
- Pine: Aug 25 – Sept 3
- Willow: Sept 4 – Sept 13
- Lime: Sept 14 – Sept 22
- Alder: Sept 23 (Autumnal Equinox)
- Hazel: Sept 24 – Oct 2
The Chinese Calendar and Zodiac
We are currently in the year of the Ox (sometimes referred to as the Cow). Each Month is also assigned a specific animal. Here’s what shows up in September 2021.
- Monkey » Aug 7 – Sep 6 (Chinese Zodiac – Stem Branch Calendar)
- Monkey » Aug 8 – Sep 6 (Lunar Calendar – 7th Month)
- Chicken » Sept 7 – Oct 7 (Chinese Zodiac – Stem Branch Calendar)
- Chicken » Sept 7 – Oct 5 (Lunar Calendar – 8th Lunar Month)
Note: The traditional Chinese Astrology birth chart is built by the Chinese Stem Branch Calendar, not the Chinese Lunar Calendar, which I think is really confusing. Because of a difference in time zones, the lunar months will have a different pattern between China and the USA.
Lucky and Unlucky Days
You might want to plan moving, traveling, major purchases, court dates, and weddings around these dates, avoiding the unlucky days and utilizing the lucky ones. Interestingly, the 18th of September is both lucky and unlucky.
- These are the lucky days in September:
4, 8, 17, 18 and 23.
- These are the unlucky days in September:
9, 10, 16, and 18.
The third day of the month September
And tenth bring evil to each member.
Holidays and Holy Days
Many of the holidays begin on the eve of the night before and end on the eve of the day of. It’s also important to remember that the dates of archaic festivals and feast days may vary widely depending on the source.
- 4: Ludi Romani
- 6 » Labor Day
- 7 » The Noumenia
- 7 » Rosh Hashanah
- 9: Double Ninth Day (alternatively celebrated on the 9th day of the 9th Lunar month)
- 9 thru 15: The Rishi Stars appear
- 11: Patriot Day
- 13: Ides of September – The Epulum Jovis
- 16 » Yom Kippur
- 19: The Fast of Thoth – this day-long fast honors the Egyptian god of wisdom and magic.
- 20 » Keirō no Hi – Respect for the Aged Day (Japan)
- 20 » Chinese Moon Festival -The Festival of Chang O, on the full moon nearest the autumnal equinox. Some Chinese celebrate this day as the moon’s birthday.
- 21 » Sukkot
- 21: Birthday of Athena, Greek Goddess of Wisdom also known as Sophia
- 21: The Feast of the Divine Life – honors the great goddess in her three-fold aspect as mother (creator), daughter (renewer), and dark mother (the absolute)
- 29: Michaelmas
There is a surprising amount of magick associated with Saint days. This is a very short list of the Saint days in September, there are many many more. As time goes by I may end up listing them all, but for now, this is what I have.
- 21: Nativity of Blessed Mary
Recipes For September
- Modaka for Ganesha Chathurthi
- Mid Autumn Mooncake
- Easy Chinese Mooncakes
- Nine Layer Cake – Double Ninth Day
Many more seasonal recipes, including recipes for new and full moon ceremonies, ancient Greek and Roman holidays, Asian festivals and etc can be found here: Seasonal Recipes.
Any September lore, almanac, astrological, and celebration dates that have been shared after this post was published can be found by searching the September posts to see what’s new.
A lot of work went into this post which was compiled from various sources by Shirley Twofeathers for The Pagan Calendar, you may repost and share without karmic repercussions, but only if you give me credit and a link back to this website. Blessed be.
Leave a Reply
If an image has posted without permission please leave a comment and I will happily remove it, replace it, give credit, link love ~ whatever you prefer.