The famous Carmelite Water, first made by 17th century Carmelite nuns was used to treat nervous headache and neuralgia. It combined lemon balm with lemon-peel, nutmeg, coriander and angelica root. Here’s a recipe:
- 1 ¼ cups vodka
- 3 tablespoons dried angelica leaves, and stalks
- 3 tablespoons dried lemon balm leaves
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, bruised
- 1 nutmeg, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons cloves
- cinnamon sticks
Pour the vodka into a jar. Add the remaining ingredients,cover tightly and shake. Leave in a warm place for three weeks, shaking every day. Strain into a sterilized bottle and store in a cool place. Use within six months.
Found at: Herbal Riot
Anacin and Excedrin claim that their “extra ingredient” provides greater pain relief. What is it? Caffeine. Many reports, including one in the Archives of Internal Medicine, have shown that adding about 65 milligrams of caffeine to aspirin, ibuprofen or acetaminophen increases pain relief by around 40 percent.
Caffeine blocks pain perception, has pain-relieving action, and elevates mood, which also helps minimize pain. Next time you have a headache, wash down your favorite pain pill with coffee or tea for more relief.
~Michael Castleman, Natural Health
British scientists at the University of Exeter analyzed six studies of feverfew, concluding that the herb significantly reduces the frequency of migraine occurrence. “In my experience,” Duke says, “feverfew prevents migraines in about two-thirds of those who use it consistently.”
- Dosage is generally 50 to 150 mg per day of powdered leaves.
by: Michael Castleman, Natural Health
- 2 parts peppermint leaf
- 1 part chamomile flower
- 1 part feverfew flower and leaf
- 1 part hops
- vodka or brandy
Cover herbs with alcohol in a jar or bottle & leave closed in warm dark place for a 2-4 weeks. Strain.Bottle again.
Take ¼ – ½ tsp before and after meals.
Brew a cup of peppermint tea, adding lemon and honey to taste..
Sip tea slowly while soaking in a bath spiked with 8 drops of peppermint essential oil and 2 drops of lemon ( or use herbs in muslin bag).
After your bath massage your temples, forehead and neck with the following essential oil blend, (carefully keeping out of eyes).
- 2 drops peppermint oil
- 1 drop lemon oil
- 1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- About Healing By Medicine by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Healing With The Fingertips by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Ladybird Toothache Cure by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Nature Cure For Epilepsy by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- 3 Pow Wow Epilepsy Cures by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment