The famous Carmelite Water, first made by 17th century Carmelite nuns was used to treat nervous headache and neuralgia. It combined lemon balm with lemon-peel, nutmeg, coriander and angelica root. Here’s a recipe:
- 1 ¼ cups vodka
- 3 tablespoons dried angelica leaves, and stalks
- 3 tablespoons dried lemon balm leaves
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, bruised
- 1 nutmeg, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons cloves
- cinnamon sticks
Pour the vodka into a jar. Add the remaining ingredients,cover tightly and shake. Leave in a warm place for three weeks, shaking every day. Strain into a sterilized bottle and store in a cool place. Use within six months.
Found at: Herbal Riot
Put stalked elderberries into an earthenware jar, cover with a well-fitting lid and place in a slow oven. Leave till the juice flows, then pour it off into a pan and return the covered jar to the oven. Continue doing this until you have obtained all the juice from the fruit. Extract amount remaining by squeezing the fruit through muslin.
Measure the juice, and to every pint add half a pound of loaf sugar, about half a dozen cloves and a piece of bruised root ginger.
Place the pan over heat and bring to the boil. Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, then strain into bottles or jars with a secure lid. Drink diluted with hot water to taste.
- 1 teaspoon dried Peppermint
- 1 teaspoon dried Yarrow
- 1 teaspoon dried Elder Flowers
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 pinch powdered mixed spices (Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves)
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
Infuse the herbs in the water for at least 5 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients and honey to sweeten if necessary. Take a wine glassful every 2 hours.
This pleasant, soothing mixture will induce a gentle perspiration, thus helping to reduce a fever.
From: The Complete Book of Herbs and Spices
For information about the individual herbs visit: The Encyclopedia of Herbology
- New Moon Wart Cure by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Pumpkin For Your Hair by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Pumpkin Facial Mask for Dry Skin by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Pumpkin Facial Mask For Oily Skin by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Pumpkin Sugar Scrub by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Slippery Elm for Pleurisy by shirleytwofeathers - 3 Comments
- A Simple Lotion by shirleytwofeathers - 2 Comments
- Cinnamon Cures and Remedies by shirleytwofeathers - 2 Comments
- Figs – A Cure For What Ails You by shirleytwofeathers - 1 Comment
- Ginger and Pineapple for Sore Throat by shirleytwofeathers - 1 Comment