- Keywords: Courage, leadership, manifestation, vitality, self empowerment
- Chakras: Sacral, solar plexus
- Element: Fire
- Zodiac Signs: Leo, Libra
- Number: 1
- Affirmation: I am continually inspired by my inner visions, and delight in taking action to make them real.
With the radiance of the sun and the fire of the solar ray, Sunstone carries the energy of Ra, the sun god, whose energy brings all potential life from within the Earth. It is a Stone of Leadership – of personal power, freedom, and expanded consciousness. Truly reflecting the qualities of Light, it brings openness, benevolence and warmth, strength, mental clarity, and the willingness and ability to bestow blessings upon others.
Known as a joyful stone, Sunstone inspires the nurturing of self in order to be of service to others. It restores the enjoyment of life, good nature and provides a sense of abundance.
Sunstone is a member of the Feldspar family, and is named for its warm shades of gold, orange, reds and browns that sparkle like the sun. Inclusions of Goethite or Hematite refract light between the different crystal layers and produce an iridescent effect as the stone is viewed from various angles. Sunstone may be clear and transparent, or opaque, and is readily available on the market. Clean red specimens, however, are rare.
First discovered in Norway, the Sunstone crystal is linked with ancient Norse texts that reference the Vikings using it to navigate the seas. Thanks to tiny particles of Hematite, Sunstone gets it distinctive shimmer from light-reflecting properties, which these famous seafarers used to catch rays of light from the sun, the undisputed GPS of Mother Nature.
Powered by the radiance of the sun and the strength of its fire, Sunstone brings power and energy from within the earth and straight into your life. It will help bring the wisdom of your heart in alignment with the inspiration of your mind, and it will be beautiful and wonderful!
Sunstone is known to attract the powers of the sun, and it will cleanse your chakras from anything that’s not good for you. It will surround you with love and positive energies that you cannot help but be a source of happiness for everyone around you.
It’s a protection stone, an energizer stone, and a good luck stone in one. It’s a stone that will make you ready for the challenges of life and strengthen your belief that life is truly worth living.
Wearing Sunstone and carrying it around with you will definitely feel like you have the sun right on your shoulder!
Magickal and Metaphysical Uses:
You will never run out of reasons to love this stone because it’s ripe with wonderful and positive energies. Sunstone is all about freedom, self-empowerment, and independence, and this stone can truly be your best companion stone!
It will make you appreciate the fact that you can make decisions about your life, that you are free to do whatever you want, and that you can love the people that you want to love.
When placed with a white candle, Sunstone can help spread protective energies throughout your home or office.
Sunstone will remind you that you are doing a good job building a life for yourself. This stone will encourage you to keep working hard to achieve your dreams. It’s a stone of leadership that will showcase your abilities, strength of mind, and expanded consciousness.
Sunstone is an abundance stone. It encourages independence and originality, is inspirational in revealing talents, and attracts fame and unexpected prosperity. It is an excellent “good luck” crystal for competitions.
- The Divinatory meaning of Sunstone: Enjoy the present without worrying if the good times will last.
Wear Sunstone to feel alive and enthusiastic. It increases vitality and is beneficial in starting, and maintaining, a fitness program or aerobic activity, and for occupations requiring high energy throughout the day.
As a workplace crystal, Sunstone increases your profile and brings opportunities for leadership and promotion. Place next to your computer when advertising your own business or services online.
Sunstone provides a source of strength if you are dependent on others emotionally, or have suffered the sudden loss of a partner. It helps alleviate fearfulness and stress, and protects against those who drain your energies or finances. It is also an excellent crystal for phobia sufferers to ease fear of the dark, enclosed places, or the presence of other triggers.
Worn as a ring on the receptive hand, Sunstone helps one receive what is needed and desired. On the transmitting hand, it channels multiple healings and blessings to others. Worn as a pendant, Sunstone brings the heart’s wisdom into alignment with the mind’s inspirations.
As an amulet of protection, Sunstone is a powerful Barrier Filter. Barrier crystals have incredible abilities to help us focus and amplify our efforts to keep undesirable elements out of our lives. Its crystalline structure gives it strength in all directions, allowing it to provide barriers to attack from all directions simultaneously.
Crystals with the earth power of a Filter, absorb positive energy flow but work to keep negative energy away from us. They help us view the world in a “glass half full” outlook, to see the best in others, the beauty in life, and the good in humanity. They keep us focused on the positive in situations and to not be overwhelmed by the negative. In our technological world, Filters also work to keep harmful electromagnetic transmissions from sapping our energy and health.
It will show the world that you are more than people think you are, and they will be pleasantly surprised at all the great things that you can do.
Sunstone is a joyful stone because it reflects the qualities of light. It invites you to be open, warm, and kind. It will bring about a willingness to give joy and happiness to others.
Sunstone carries with it energies of originality and inspiration. If you ever feel stuck or unproductive, and if you ever feel like you are not able to churn out new and effective ideas, just hold this stone in your hands. It will feel like a switch has been turned on and ideas will just naturally flow.
It will encourage you to reveal your hidden talents. It will heighten your sensuality and give romance a surge of freshness. It will bring you luck in all aspects of your life and energize all your chakras. It will give you stability and mental clarity.
Sunstone will give you an extra boost of energy when you’re feeling stressed or under the weather. It’s a natural anti-depressant, so it will also keep sad thoughts and emotions away.
It will instill good nature in you. Sunstone energy will allow the real you to shine through, and people will love you for it. No matter how weird or different you think you are.
It will fill your life with enthusiasm, optimism, and encouragement. Its energies will make you feel glad to be alive, and you will be filled with energy and cheer.
Having Sunstone with you can be particularly useful when you’re working on a project that will run for months, or when you’re on a fitness program that requires commitment. It will strengthen your resolve and your commitment, and it will make sure that you’re in it from start to finish.
Sunstone will heighten your intuition and strengthen your instincts. They will be right most of the time, too. Sunstone will dispel irrational fears that are preventing you from achieving your dreams or having the love that you desire. It will increase your self-confidence and self-esteem.
This is a particularly good stone to have for people who find it hard to say no.
This stone also has self-healing powers that will benefit you in a physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual way.
Sunstone For Healing
- Physical Healing Energy
Sunstone warms the body, increasing metabolism, digestion, and vitality. It stimulates self-healing powers, regulating and harmonizing all of the organs.
Sunstone is used to treat chronic sore throats, and to reduce stomach tension and ulcers. Placed on the Solar Plexus, it is excellent for lifting depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder, and is helpful in chasing away nightmares.
Since ancient times, Sunstone has been used as a grid around the body to relieve cartilage problems, rheumatism, and general aches and pains. Today it is also used to treat osteoarthritis, cramps, fever, various infections, and athletic injury.
Sitting in the sun surrounded by a circle of Sunstones was an ancient remedy for rheumatism. Physical contact with a large specimen also relieved aching feet and spinal problems.
- Emotional Healing Energy
Sunstone is highly effective in cleansing the aura and chakras, and for removing hooks from possessive loved ones, lovers, or anyone draining of your energies. Sunstone surrounds these hooks with love and positive energy, and returns them to the source. It is especially beneficial when ties need to be cut, or if you have difficulty saying “No.” It helps remove co-dependency, overcomes procrastination, and encourages self-empowerment and independence.
Those who hold back because of fears and self-doubt may find Sunstone melts away the sense of unworthiness, feelings of being discriminated against, disadvantaged or abandoned. It emanates a rich and positive spectrum of energies that re-balances one’s emotional patterns, and encourages optimism and enthusiasm. It can help transform anger into energy and judgment into joy.
“I am proud of who I am,” is the affirmation of Sunstone, a crystal known to help us find our joy, harmony and happiness after a dark time. Its properties of vitality and empowerment are particularly beneficial for those under the signs of Leo and Libra, both of whom rely on their good humor and ability to find joy in life. Sunstone’s primary chakra is the Root Chakra, connected to our basic needs and establishing our foundation.
- Chakra Balancing
With its powers of the sun and light, Sunstone clears and cleanses all the chakras, restoring joy and nurturing the spirit. It is particularly energizing to the Base and Sacral Chakras, stimulating leadership and will, creativity and sexuality.
The red and brown shades of Sunstone activate the Base, or Root Chakra, located at the base of the spine that controls the energy for kinesthetic feeling and movement. It is the foundation of physical and spiritual energy for the body. When physically out of balance the symptoms will manifest themselves as lethargy, low levels of activity, low enthusiasm, and a need for constant stimulation. When its spiritual energies are out of balance, you will feel flighty, disconnected from reality, and distant.
When the Base Chakra is in balance, the physical body regains its strength and stamina, and the spiritual energy is rekindled in the form of security and sense of one’s own power. It often leads to independence and spontaneous leadership.
The gold and orange shades of Sunstone identify with the Sacral Chakra, or Second Chakra, located below the naval and above the pubic bone at the front of the pelvis. It controls the flow of energy and is the center of gravity of the body. It is the center of the Life Force of the body, and controls the flow of information from the body to the mind and from the mind to the body. Gut feelings, intuition, and other “non-linear” communication comes from this chakra.
When it is out of balance the symptoms will manifest themselves as confusion, over dependency on others, repression of feelings, inability to feel joy, fear of sensuality or sex, and frustration. When it is in balance you have grace, feel pleasure in life, find you are flexible and can “go with the flow” and do so in good spirit.
- Spiritual Energy
Sunstone relates to people of faith – missionaries and others who give themselves in service to the world. It encourages us to act with grace, and aids in active, joyous meditation.
Sunstone carries yang energy, and balances with the yin of Moonstone. Worn together, these stones integrate god and goddess powers, assertive and outward success and inner harmony within your life.
Sunstone And The Goddess
Sunstone honors Cerridwen, the Welsh Goddess of Inspiration and Knowledge. She rules the gifts of prophecy and magic, and powers death and rebirth. She is the guardian of spiritual transformation.
Sunstone may also be used to honor Sekhmet, the Egyptian Goddess of War. She is the most powerful goddess of Lower Egypt, and is usually depicted with the head of a lion and the body of a beautiful woman.
How to Cleanse Sunstone?
If you own a Sunstone and use it all the time, it will need to be cleared and cleansed regularly. The clearing process is necessary before using any stone for healing, because the clearer the energy of a healing stone is, the more powerful it is.
Your Sunstone needs to be cleansed as soon as you buy them and after every use. A ready and clean Sunstone feels positive, bright, tingly, and cold to the touch.
You will know when your Sunstone needs cleansing when it starts to feel hot, heavy, or drained. There are many ways to effectively cleanse your Sunstone.
- Sea Salt
Sea salt gets rid of any kind of negativity and is a very effective disinfectant of both physical and psychic disruptions.
Use sea salt every time your Sunstone is overloaded with negative energy. Just a tablespoon of sea salt and a glass of cold water are all you need. Let your Sunstone soak overnight.
To use dry salt, place some in a non-plastic container and leave the Sunstones there overnight with the points downwards.
Sometimes a Sunstone may take longer to clear, especially if it has been used in a deep, intense healing. If this is the case, leave it another day or two in the sea salt.
If you live near the ocean, you can bring home some salt water in a jar or wash the Sunstone directly in the ocean water.
Moonlight is another method of cleansing your Sunstone. Simply place it outside on a full moon or a new moon. Waning moons are good times to cleanse your Sunstone and dispel old energies, but anytime really works.
It is suggested to hang your Sunstone jewelry in a tree where the moonlight can cleanse them.
Try to avoid placing them under the direct heat of the sun because their colors may fade, or they may break or crack.
- Burying It
Burying your Sunstone in a cupful of dried herbs like sandalwood, myrrh, frankincense, sage, and rose petals will also clear them.
This is a gentle and pleasant way to cleanse crystals, but it does take longer than the sea salt method.
Crystals may also be buried into the earth. This is especially helpful when you feel that your Sunstone needs deep cleansing.
Just head outside and dig a hole the same size of your Sunstone, placing it point down and covering it with the soil. If you live in an apartment, you can use a flower pot to bury your Sunstones in.
Another quick way to cleanse Sunstones is to smudge them with burning cedar or sage.
Smudging is an excellent way to make sure your Sunstones are purified. This can be achieved by letting your Sunstone pass through the smoke of the burning cedar or sage stick.
Finally, you can also cleanse your Sunstone by running them under cool tap water. The points should always be facing downwards to let the negative energies flow out and down the drain.
During this process, visualize the Sunstone as sparkly, tingly, cold, and belonging to just you!
Sunstone is not associated with any zodiac sign; however, it will bring out the sensuality of Virgos, and will temper the sexuality and possessiveness of Aries. Sunstone is most often associated with the Sun.
Sunstone which is gold in color is the natural birthstone of those born in the magical month of midsummer (July 22 – Aug 21). Gold crystals bring you success, enthusiasm, happiness, and power.
Sunstone which is orange in color is the true birthstone of those born at the end of summer (Aug 22 – Sep 22). Orange crystals bring you joy, friendship, pleasure, and family togetherness.
Sunstone which is scarlet in color is one of the natural birthstones of those born in the first month of autumn (Sep 23 – Oct 21). Scarlet crystals bring you strength, vitality, willpower, and dedication.
Sunstone which is red in color is the natural birthstone of those born in mid-autumn (Oct 22 – Nov 20). Red crystals bring you energy, courage, passion, and love.
Sunstones and Color
Gold energy in Sunstone brings success, enthusiasm, happiness, and power. It is traditionally the color of kings, riches, and the sun ~ Gold ~ touches a deep part of our minds, conjuring up images of mystical places and adventure.
- Light Gold crystals provide us with the simple pleasures of life, cheerfulness and contentment.
- Dark Gold crystals have a deeper, more pronounced sense of devotion and commitment, providing us with a mature enthusiasm and ability to share a lifelong commitment of care and love.
The energy of Orange in Sunstone brings joy and friendship, pleasure, and family togetherness. It is a happy and sharing stone, integrating the parts of our communal lives, bringing things and people together. It is a stone of physical pleasure and intimacy.
- Lighter Orange Sunstone promotes companionship and affection.
- Darker Orange crystals deepen the sense of belonging and home.
Sunstone contains Scarlet energy, combining the energy of the pure red ray with the exuberance and joy of the orange. It reflects the color of strength and vitality, both physical and spiritual. Scarlet crystals are amulets of protection from physical harm. They help overcome fear and improve self-reliance, and are the crystals of victory, success, and skill.Â Lighter shades of scarlet, the lightly tinted red-oranges, are excellent talismans of dedication in young relationships. Dark Scarlet crystals are the key to the physical pleasures of maturity – in love, in life, and in relationships.
Red Sunstone brings a self-confidence built on fearlessness. It reflects the color of passion, energy, and life. It motivates. It is a very strong color – the color of fire and blood.
- Dark Red crystals embody strong, deep feelings, durable energy and quiet passion. It is a masculine color, particularly useful for increasing devotion and seeing the seriousness of life.
Sunstone Lore and Legend
The Ancients believed Sunstone once formed part of the sun and fell to earth during a full solar eclipse.
In Oriental cultures Sunstone was known as a “phenomenal gem” to be worn on Sundays. Phenomenal gems exhibited a moving line, star, or changes on the surface as the light varied, and was considered to bring good fortune to the wearer.
In ancient Greece, Sunstone represented the sun god, bringing life and abundance to all fortunate enough to possess it. It was used often in the ornamentation of goblets and plates, and was believed to counteract poison and produce strength.
In ancient India, Sunstone was revered as protection from the destructive forces of other realms.
Sunstone was used by the Canadian Indians in rituals of the medicine wheel to show spirit guides the connection with the golden white healing light of the sun. During those ceremonies Sunstone was placed in the center of the medicine wheel, and it has been reported that during contact with the spirit guides, the stone emitted a golden glow.
Sunstone Feng Shui
Sunstone utilizes Fire energy. Fire energy is the energy of enthusiasm, warmth, brightness, illumination and activity. It is Yang in nature. It is the energy of heat, action, emotion and passion – of ideas, of concepts, and sex. It is traditionally associated with the south area of a home or room, and with the fame and reputation area of your dwelling.
Use its energy to give your life the boost it needs to enhance your standing in the community and within your family. Red and scarlet crystals should be used sparingly, to bring the sun’s power and the fire element’s energy to your space. Use orange crystals as an accent and as an accessory in rooms where high energy is needed.
Meditation with Sunstone
Sunstone is an alchemical stone bringing a profound connection to light and the regenerative power of the sun during meditation and in everyday life. Meditating with Sunstone on the Third Eye will enable one to see the highest path of action in any situation.
Sunstone meditation can help you feel the powers of the sun and light. With sunstone’s light, it can help clear and energize your chakras.
- A Simple Sunstone Meditation
Hold a sunstone in each hand, palms open. Close your eyes and breathe complete breaths. Breathe in and out, slowing your breath.
Imagine that you are a bright light, and that your hands, arms, head, and neck glow with the brightness of this light. Envision the light expanding and covering everything abundantly. Feel the warmth of your skin as it glows and spreads the light. Feel the warmness of the light as it heals your mind, body, and spirit.
Sunstone and the Angelic Realm
If your birthday falls in any of the following periods, a Sunstone of the color listed can be a valuable conduit to your Guardian Angel. The list below provides the name of the Guardian Angel of those born in the specified time period.
It is listed as follows: Date of Birth ~ Crystal Color ~ Name of Guardian Angel
- Apr 5-9 ~ Orange ~ Elemiah
- Aug 2-6 ~ Orange ~ Terathel
- Sep 13-17 ~ Orange ~ Chavakiah
- Sep 29-Oct 3 ~ Scarlet ~ Haamiah
- Oct 14-18 ~ Light Orange ~ Hahahel (Hahael)
- Oct 19-23 ~ Red ~ Mikael
- Nov 13-17 ~ Dark Red ~ Asaliah
- Nov 18-22 ~ Light Orange ~ Mihael
- Nov 28-Dec 2 ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Daniel
- Dec 8-12 ~ Dark Red ~ Imamiah
- Dec 22-26 ~ Dark Orange ~ Mebahiah
- Jan 6-10 ~ Orange ~ Ieilael (Ieliel)
- Jan 11-15 ~ Light Scarlet ~ Harahel
- Jan 21-25 ~ Orange ~ Umabel (Umbael)
- Jan 26-30 ~ Light Scarlet ~ Iahhel
- Jan 31-Feb 4 ~ Light Scarlet ~ Anauel
- Mar 16-20 ~ Dark Red ~ Mumiah (Mumijah)
There are other Angels that are partial to Sunstone. The list below gives you the information about them.
- Guardian of the Fourteenth Mansion of the Moon ~ Virgo ~ Dark Gold ~ Ergediel
- Dealing with Agriculture and Animals ~ Dark Gold ~ Risnuch
- Ruler of Earth/Wind ~ Dark Gold ~ Ruchiel
- Severity Angel; Tree of Life, Guardian of Tuesday, Ruler of Mars ~ Dark Gold ~ Samael
- Guardian of the 24th Mansion of the Moon which is Aquarius ~ Dark Orange ~ Abrinael
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Sept.13-17 ~ Virgo. ~ Dark Orange ~ Chavakiah
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Dec 22-26 ~ Capricorn. ~ Dark Orange ~ Mebahiah
- Guardian of the 11th Mansion of the Moon which is Leo ~ Dark Orange ~ Neciel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Aug 13-17 ~ Leo ~ Dark Orange ~ Reiel
- Ruler of Saturn ~ Dark Orange ~ Sabathiel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Nov 13-17 ~ Scorpio ~ Dark Red ~ Asaliah
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Dec 8-12 ~ Sagittarius ~ Dark Red ~ Imamiah
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Mar 16-20 ~ Pisces ~ Dark Red ~ Mumiah
- Angel of Fertility ~ Dark Red ~ Samandiriel
- Master of the 11th Tarot Card “Justice” ~ Dark Red ~ Zuriel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Nov 28-Dec 2 ~ Sagittarius ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Daniel
- Master of the Tarot Card “The Sun” ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Nakiel
- Angel of Hope ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Phanuel
- Ruler of Earth/Earthquakes ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Ra’ashiel
- Angel of Pride, and the Sea ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Rahab
- Angel of Purity ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Tahariel
- Guardian of the Nineteenth Mansion of the Moon which is Scorpio ~ Gold ~ Amutiel
- Foundation Angel and known as the Tree of Life. The Angel of Monday ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- Ruler of the Moon, Earth, and Lighting ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- Master of the Tarot Cards “The High Priestess” and “The Hanged Man” ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- Angel of Pregnancies/Child Birth ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- Angel of the North Wind, Creativity, and Truth ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- The sun sign Aquarius ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- Guardian Fifth Mansion of the Moon; Taurus ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- Master of the Tarot Card “The High Priestess” ~ Gold ~ Schelachel
- Master of the Tarot Card “The World” ~ Gold ~ Uriel
- Heals Resentment and is the Ruler of the South Wind ~ Gold ~ Uriel
- Angel of Music and Repentance ~ Gold ~ Uriel
- The sun sign, Libra ~ Gold ~ Uriel
- Master of Tarot Card “The Fool” ~ Light Gold ~ Chassan
- Angel of the Mountains ~ Light Gold ~ Rampel
- Guardian of the Ninth Mansion of the Moon ~ Cancer–Leo ~ Light Orange ~ Barbiel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Oct 14-18 ~ Libra ~ Light Orange ~ Hahahel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Nov 18-22 ~ Scorpio ~ Light Orange ~ Mihael
- Ruler of Earth/Moon ~ Light Orange ~ Ophanniel
- Ruler of Earth/Constellations/Stars ~ Light Orange ~ Rahatiel
- Master of the Tarot Card “Temperance” ~ Light Orange ~ Saritaiel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Jan 31- Feb 4 ~ Aquarius ~ Light Scarlet ~ Anauel
- Angel of Dreams ~ Light Scarlet ~ Duma
- Master of the Tarot Card “The Hierophant” ~ Light Scarlet ~ Eraziel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Jan 11-15 ~ Capricorn ~ Light Scarlet ~ Harahel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Jan 26-30 ~ Aquarius ~ Light Scarlet ~ Iahhel
- Angel of Music ~ Light Scarlet ~ Israfel
- Ruler of Venus ~ Light Scarlet ~ Nogahel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Apr 5-9 ~ Aries ~ Orange ~ Elemiah
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Jan 6-10 ~ Capricorn ~ Orange ~ Ieilael
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Aug 2-6 ~ Leo ~ Orange ~ Terathel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Jan 21-25 ~ Aquarius ~ Orange ~ Umabel
- Master of the Tarot Card “The Tower” ~ Red ~ Graphiel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Oct 19-23 ~ Libra ~ Red ~ Mikael
- Guardian of the Tenth Mansion of the Moon ~ Leo ~ Scarlet ~ Ardifiel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Sep.29-Oct 3 ~ Libra ~ Scarlet ~ Haamiah
- Ruler of Mars ~ Scarlet ~ Madimiel
- Deal With Fear ~ Scarlet ~ Yroul
Crossroads are considered sacred in almost all magical traditions. A crossroads is a universally accepted place to hold rituals, leave offerings, or dispose of items you wish to be rid of.
To relieve feelings of depression, helplessness, and hopelessness, journey to a crossroads and absorb the power.
The crossroads is the juncture of powerful energies, where all possibilities meet. Don’t go to a traffic intersection – the most common modern crossroads. Excessive yang energy will only worsen the situation. What you need is a traditional witch’s crossroads, ideally the intersection of remote streets but at least roads with minimal traffic.
You don’t have to do anything; just linger, keep your mind open and absorb the converging energies.
It is believed that Hecate rules over the three-way crossroads. She can see the past, present, and future. It is said that if you should approach a three-way crossroads at night, you would hear her black dogs howling. Her altars have been erected at such places for centuries.
The four-way crossroads are considered to be powerful because all four directions meet at one point. Dirt, rocks, and sticks gathered from such a crossroads are said to have powerful spiritual connections, albeit tricky ones to master. In Greek myths, Oedipus met his fate at the crossroads. From the Yoruban people we have Legba (a god known for his clever tricks) ruling the crossroads.
The strength of Ellegua lies at the crossroad. He is the remover of obstacles. An offering of twenty-one pennies and three candies left at the crossroad will prompt him to be kind and remove the roadblocks in your life.
Ancient people were afraid of what it meant when one direction met another direction. All manner of folklore is available concerning the crossroads. Fairies are said to hang out there, along with ghouls, ghosts, and goblins. Even the Christian Satan is said to roam the crossroads.
Times Square in New York City is known as the “Crossroads of the World.” A true urban crossroads is any intersection where 3 or 4 roads mead and then continue outward unobstructed for eight city blocks in each direction. If any one path is blocked by a dead end, a cul de sac, or a park, it is not a true crossroad.
Metaphysically, a crossroads is a place of sacred transformations, a metaphor for transformational points in our lives, and relate to time and choices. It is a place to go to unblock your path.
Why Crossroads Are So Important
In ancient times the crossroads were places where very important information was exchanged, information that might never reach a town or village. To facilitate this, a common language developed. Called a lingua franca, such a language permitted people from different countries to understand each other well enough to do business.
In addition to learning a common language like lingua franca (Latin was the lingua franca of educated people in Europe for many centuries), crossroads experiences invariably stimulate a desire to learn a foreign language.
Did you know that learning a foreign language increases your intelligence? One reason is that it builds bridges of communication between the right and left side of the brain, increasing flexibility. A person who can come at a problem with right and left brain flexibility has double the resources of someone relying on just one or the other. In addition, on the one side, you learn to speak another language but on the other side, you develop the telepathic ability to understand someone else’s language. This ability often transcends the words being spoken and heard as many people with language ability will tell you.
Important information is exchanged at crossroads. Here is an example of some of the kinds of important information that might have been exchanged at a crossroad.
- Be careful, it is no longer safe to drink the water at xx
- Be careful the king of xx is dying and the country is run by renegades who no longer honor our trade agreements
- Warning, there was a spring flood which washed away the trail at xx
- Good news! The mountain pass is clear now.
- Good news! The king of xx wants trade in his country and has cleared the bandits out of the gulch at xx.
- The price of amber has dropped. Don’t be fooled into paying high prices.
- The market for silk has shifted further west … be careful not to buy more than you can sell.
- Xx’s supply of xx is terrible this year. Best go in another direction with what you have to sell.
People who stay at home in the town and village don’t need this kind of information. But if they are wise, they listen to news from travelers because it can portend things in the future. For example a traveler returns and says, “I have been to xx and they will pay fabulous sums of money for this yellow stuff that washes up on the beaches around here [amber]”. Or he might say, “There are restless tribes marauding close to here. We need to be careful or they will wipe us out.” There is no way for a connection to be made between towns and villages if someone doesn’t travel.
In addition to Hekate, Elegua, and various other deities, Mercury, the god of travel, communication, and thieves, presided over the crossroads. The Greeks erected little phallic statues (no pun intended) honoring the god Mercury along the side of the road and at crossroads to honor the god of travelers.
Stádhagaldr is an active system of magic that consists of the assumption of runic postures or gestures for magical effect. Gestures and postures form some part of almost every metaphysical or magical school. The can be seen from the simple folding of hands in prayer to the extremely complex system of asanas in the Indian hatha yoga school. Stádhagaldr is balanced in this respect.
The number and intricacy of the postures are varied enough to be expressive of the wide variety of forces present, but none require extensive training or straining of the body.
The overall aims of the Stádhagaldr are:
- 1. Control of the body through posture (stadha)
- 2. Control of thought through song (galdr)
- 3. Control of breath
- 4. Control of emotion
- 5. Becoming aware of the rune realms of the self and the world(s)
- 6. Control and direction of the will.
Stadhagaldr is used as a mode of psychological integration and personal transmutation, and it is also employed in all other types of magical operations.
The early 20th century German runemasters (F.B Marby, S.A. Krummer, and Karl Spiesberger) developed runic yoga as a means of harnessing the streams of power present in the earth and atmosphere.
According to Marby there are five cosmic zones to be reckoned with:
- 1: Inner-earth space
- 2: Material earth space
- 3: Wave space
- 4: Cosmic space
- 5: Super cosmic space
“The inner space of earth… is a vast but contained zone of tranquil space that radiates energy. This is compared to the outermost zone of cosmic space, which is also tranquil and radiant. Cosmic space, zone 4, is charged with radiations from the zone of cosmic space and is influenced by the physical bodies (stars, planets, etc.) that occupy it. Material earth space is the physical matter of the planet, which is heavily loaded with ancient forms of energy coursing through it in various patterns. Wave space is that zone just above the surface of the earth that our bodies inhabit. This is the region where energy patterns received from above and below are most freely exchanged.
“The rune magician makes him/herself capable of receiving and sending patterns of energy to and from all five of these zones. (…the rune magician becomes an antenna for the reception and broadcast of runic radio waves.) By using the proper runic postures, combined with the intonation of the right runic sound, the magician can draw in certain forces or combination of forces and then reshape and redirect them.
“…The interplay of forces within these various energy zones constitutes the phenomena of the universe. By becoming aware of them, engaging them, and guiding them consciously, the rune magician actively participates in the evolution and restructuring of the cosmos.
“The runes are the keys to the reception, absorption and projection of these forces. Their first effect is on the transformation and healing of the individual…”
The runic postures are bioenergetic antennas which receive the various energies, symbolized by the runes. Tests with the pendulum during runic gymnastics showed an expansion and charging of the individual aura as well as an extensive radiation. The posture receive cthonic and celestial energies, thus activate and vitalize body and mind. This energy is also necessary to fulfill magical goals.
Performing runic gymnastic creates an anchor for the runes in the individual aura and body. Then the runes have the possibility to become organic and find realization and earthening within yourself and your surroundings (if you allow this to happen).
Each of the links below will take you to the individual Rune along with a longer explanation,the incantation to empower it, the Runic Postures (Rune Yoga), and the Runic Hand Positions (Rune Mudras).
Note: The postures and hand positions were an afterthought, and I am not finished updating the original posts to add them in. For clarity, I have noted the ones that are updated. When they are complete, this notice will disappear.
- Fehu – For attracting wealth and protecting property. (updated)
- Uruz – To clear obstacles and change circumstances. (updated)
- Thurisaz – For protection and defense. (updated)
- Ansuz – To increase communicative skills, pass exams and gain wisdom. (updated)
- Raidho – To ensure a safe journey. (updated)
- Kenaz – To restore self-confidence and strengthen will-power. (updated)
- Gebo – To create harmony in personal relationships. (updated)
- Wunjo – To bring happiness and spiritual transformation. (updated)
- Hagalaz – To attract positive influences. (updated)
- Nauthiz – To achieve long-term goals or help lost causes. (updated)
- Isa – To make a situation static, ground wayward emotions and calm volatile actions. (updated)
- Jera – To bring events to culmination. (updated)
- Eihwaz – To end situations and solve problems. (updated)
- Perthro – To find lost property, obtain inner guidance and make financial speculations.
- Algiz (or Elhaz) – Strengthening of magical power and luck and life force. (updated)
- Sowilo – To increase good health, vitality and sexual powers. (updated)
- Tiwaz – To achieve victory over adversity and justice. (updated)
- Berkano – For fertility, family matters and love affairs. (updated)
- Ehwaz (or Ehwo) – To cause changes. (updated)
- Mannaz – To attract goodwill and new social contacts.
- Laguz – To manifest psychic powers. (updated)
- Ingwaz – To end a cycle of events or specific situation.
- Dagaz – To create new beginnings or opportunities.
- Othala – For property matters. (updated)
A Rune-stave is a pattern which conveys that which transcends shapes and yet is an essence from which form is enabled to take shape. Each Rune is a means of relating to a natural potency that is within YOU and the Universe.
To activate the blessing, light a candle, and very carefully draw the Rune onto a piece of white paper, or card. Concentrate your attention on that Rune, and couple with it the intention you have chosen from the list. You don’t need to DO anything, just be aware of the Runic potency so that its power is activated and directed into that aspect of your life. Be aware of the Rune and your intention, and then let the thought go.
Be attentive and allow yourself to experience the power of the Rune. After a while, you will feel that you are finished. You can then burn the paper with the Rune inscribed on it, or you can carry it with you. Alternatively, if this is a blessing for someone else, you can then gift it to them.
Below is a simplified listing of each Rune, and the qualities they can awaken within.
- Begin a new project or endeavor
- Find the courage to make a fresh start
- Feel rejuvenated
- Increase your resolve
- Be more assertive
- Fight against detrimental influences
- Clear away lethargy
- Strengthen your determination
- Break down “barriers”
- Find both the unity and the division within things
- Obtain inspiration
- Discover your “hidden” potentials
- Improve your communication skills
- Increase your intake of Chi
- Strengthen your mind
- Gain access to inner wisdom
- Come into attunement with your personal rhythms
- Extend your awareness
- See things in their proper perspective
- Make balanced judgments
- Express yourself creatively
- See what needs to be transformed in your life
- Turn knowledge into wisdom
- Attain clarity of thought
- Generate enthusiasm
- Make more effective use of your time
- Receive more by giving more
- Bond personal relationships
- Turn wisdom into understanding
- Come into active partnership with your Higher Self
- Attain a sense of well-being
- Strengthen personal relationships
- Encourage good fellowship
- Build self-esteem
- Heal rifts
- Banish unwanted influences
- Develop intuitiveness within a structured framework so it does not get out of control
- Clear the air
- Focus your intentions
- Prepare the way for desired changes in your life
- Cope with stress
- Succeed in a crisis
- Achieve the seemingly impossible
- Break through your limitations
- Develop perseverance
- Value endurance
- Still your mind as an aid to meditation
- Create a protective barrier to immobilize harmful intent from whatever quarter
- Strengthen your Will
- Overcome restlessness
- Learn that patience brings rewards
- Nurture your creativity
- Know the secret of proper timing
- Come into harmony with the cycles of Nature
- Harmonize your body “clock”
- Give birth to your hopes and dreams
- Hold on to what is essential to be retained
- Experience pleasure
- Be aware of your hidden potentials
- Liberate yourself from unnecessary fear
- Develop within you the quality of endurance
- Connect with other levels of reality
- Avoid confusion
- Release your inner strengths
- Receive flashes of enlightenment
- Find the powers within you to meet any situation
- Ward off negative influences
- Connect with an inner drive to achieve more
- Keep your ideals and aspirations grounded
- See things as they are
- Receive inner guidance to discern more clearly
- Boost your energy levels
- Attain that “impossible” dream
- Connect with your Soul’s purpose
- Become more vigilant
- Strengthen your reliability
- Work more methodically
- Face difficulties with fortitude
- Develop greater trust in yourself
- Have courage to accept responsibility for your own choices and actions
- Perform deeds in an honorable way
- Allow your “greater” Self to have more influence in your life
- Effect closer relations
- Nurture what it is you want to bring forth in your life
- Conserve your energies
- Come through a crisis safely
- Let go of what may be blocking your progress
- Find more fruitful ways of achieving what you set out to do
- Attain a more harmonious relationship with your partner
- Impart trust and loyalty
- Become more balanced in your ways
- Become more fully integrated within yourself
- Sharpen your intellect
- Activate your intuitive senses
- Adopt a more co-operative attitude towards Nature and others
- Strengthen family relationships
- Become more adaptable
- Actualize your potentials
- Identify your true feelings
- Come into harmony with the ebb and flow of energy streams of life
- Increase your healing powers
- Strengthen your faith
- Renew your hope for the future
- Open up new areas of self-realization
- Access “higher” powers
- Develop the abilities you have
- Connect with past lives
- Feel more secure
- Realize your true Reality
- Get in touch with your Spirit
- Recognize your connectedness with all things
- Become a good “finisher” as well as a keen “starter”
- Recognize your true wealth
- Evaluate the true value of things
- Find fulfillment in your endeavors
- Brings things to completion satisfactorily
- Draw down the power of the Sun, Moon, and Stars into your own personal “universe”
Source: Rune Power
Runes are best known for their use in divination, however, the sounds of the individual Runes, can be chanted and used in magick as an incantation. Verbal rune magick is called Galdr or Galdor, from the Old Norse, which originally meant ‘incantation’. The verb “gala” is also used for “to crow”. It later came to mean magick in general.
Each of the links below will take you to the individual Rune along with a longer explanation and the incantation to empower it. Also included are the Runic Postures (Rune Yoga), and Hand Positions (Rune Mudras).
- Fehu – For attracting wealth and protecting property.
- Uruz – To clear obstacles and change circumstances.
- Thurisaz – For protection and defense.
- Ansuz – To increase communicative skills, pass exams and gain wisdom.
- Raidho – To ensure a safe journey.
- Kenaz – To restore self-confidence and strengthen will-power.
- Gebo – To create harmony in personal relationships.
- Wunjo – To bring happiness and spiritual transformation.
- Hagalaz – To attract positive influences.
- Nauthiz – To achieve long-term goals or help lost causes.
- Isa – To make a situation static, ground wayward emotions and calm volatile actions.
- Jera – To bring events to culmination.
- Eihwaz – To end situations and solve problems.
- Perthro – To find lost property, obtain inner guidance and make financial speculations.
- Algiz (or Elhaz) – Strengthening of magical power and luck and life force.
- Sowilo – To increase good health, vitality and sexual powers.
- Tiwaz – To achieve victory over adversity and justice.
- Berkano – For fertility, family matters and love affairs.
- Ehwaz (or Ehwo) – To cause changes.
- Mannaz – To attract goodwill and new social contacts.
- Laguz – To manifest psychic powers.
- Ingwaz – To end a cycle of events or specific situation.
- Dagaz – To create new beginnings or opportunities.
- Othala – For property matters.
Each plant, animal, rock, and other entity has a spirit (consciousness resonance matrix). These spirits can join together, in a hive-mind, as a spirit of an area. Nature spirits include real biological intelligences, are psychically powerful, and are much less abstract and controllable than the Elementals that many magical people who perform all of their rituals indoors are familiar with. They can be extremely powerful allies.
It is possible to sense nature spirits, to determine if they are receptive to a ritual planned, and to have them actively participate in magical workings if they are.
Some Effects of Working With Nature Spirits:
Spectacular physical manifestations can happen when working with nature spirits in the wild. I have personally seen actual foxfire mark the boundaries of a magic circle at a location that was identified as a receptive power spot and attuned to a planned ritual the day before.
I have seen more than one site attuned for ritual be dry and comfortable, with a round hole in the clouds overhead, on days that were cold and rainy at other nearby locations. Birds have joined in rituals, flying around the circle when energy was being raised; and insects, birds and animals have joined in chants. In addition, the wind often responds to invocations. Generally, these spectacular manifestations happen unexpectedly.
With or without such manifestations, nature spirits often will channel tremendous amounts of power into the magic being performed. It is suggested that you do not consciously try for specific manifestations. Let Nature channel her power into the magic in her own way. If approached with respect, nature may give you many pleasant surprises.
Spectacular physical manifestations are not a necessary sign of success. If you need a spectacular manifestation and nature spirits know this, you will get it. The best success in magic is on the inner planes and more subtle than such manifestations. This success involves beneficial changes in consciousness that last and helpful chains of synchronicity. In addition, working with Nature Spirits can also bring a deep sense of partnership with Nature, and bring new levels of attunement.
To get the best results, perform nature spirit attunement several hours to several days before the main ritual. The purposes of such attunement are to find suitable power spots and to get the help of friendly nature spirits. This timing gives Nature time to gather her children and to prepare to actively participate in the main ritual.
What to NOT do:
If nature spirits are approached with disrespect by attempting to command them rather than listening to them and inviting them to work with you, nature spirits may flee, rebel, or attack. I once attended a ritual by some pseudo-Crowleyites who attempted to perform the “Ritual of the Barbarous Names” at a power spot in a forest and then to extend the circle several hundred yards in all directions.
While the forest in general had loud insect and frog noises, the area at which the ritual took place got quiet immediately when the main ritualist declared that all spirits were subject unto him. The vibes from nature could best be characterized as “Oh yea, Mother…!”
One participant was quickly possessed by an angry spirit and kept repeating “You killed my children, your children will never live in peace.” When the priestess stepped out of the boundaries of the original circle, she was attacked by bees; and bees covered the Book of the Law. Magicians should know better than to attempt to command spirits whose true names they do not know!
Calling Nature Spirits:
To make the most out of working magical ritual in the wild, one should find power spots where nature spirits are receptive to the ritual planned and approach the spirits with respect, as equals. In my experience, the most effective power spots for working with the living intelligences of nature are located in wild areas with diverse, active ecologies.
When entering a wild area to find a site for a ritual, find a place that feels good. Then do the following, either individually or, if in a group, as a guided meditation:
- Relax, while standing upright, and focus on your breathing.
- Breathe deep breaths from the diaphragm. Breathe together if in a group.
- Feel the wind, and let it relax you and awaken your spirit within, as your deep breathing takes you into non-ordinary reality.
- Picture, in your mind’s eye, a light inside you.
- As you breathe, feel the light expand, purify and energize you – as it expands to fill your aura.
- Feel yourself glowing, balanced, purified, and full of power.
- Connect with your inner self (your higher self), and feel your intuitive self operating.
Feel yourself as:
- The wind, full of life and intelligence, communicating with all round.
- The Sunlight, warm, alive, channeling the power to communicate with nature and energizing all around.
- Water, emotional, intuitive, refreshing, and connected with nature.
- The Earth, and note how your physical body is able to wander while remaining part of Mother Earth.
Focus on your spiritual self, and:
- Note the light within and feel it as love,
Expand the light and love beyond the immediate aura of your body to the surrounding area – where you will go to find a power spot and contact nature spirits.
- Telepathically (by thinking while channeling the love and light energy) send out signals to nature spirits to emerge and be aware of your presence.
- Say why you have come, and invite them to join in sharing, mutual celebration, and the work you intend.
- Visualize the light and love energy you are channeling extending out and merging with the light from distant places.
- Feel the power of the Earth flowing up through your body and feet.
- Feel the power from the sky, and channel this power also to further energize the carrier signal of light and love for communicating with nature.
- Visualize the light expanding and merging.
- Continue to send out telepathic signals.
Now go deeper:
- Close your eyes, sit on the Earth, and feel your connection while you channel more light and love.
- Continue modulating the light and love with your thoughts – inviting receptive spirits to join with you and to make themselves known.
- If in a group, someone should start playing a drum at a rate of about one beat per second; and you should listen to the drum and let the drum take you deeper.
Affirm that you are a nature magician, a medicine person, who knows and communicates with nature. Let this part of yourself emerge to full consciousness. Let the drum and the connection to your inner self awaken that part of yourself that naturally communicates with other life forms. Let it awaken your telepathic senses.
- Continue sending telepathic signals to nature.
When you feel ready and an inner urge to begin, open your eyes a crack and look around, while continuing to channel love and light and telepathically calling for a response.
You may see light coming from certain areas that are receptive. You may get other signals, such as a feeling of power or love returning in a certain direction. Perhaps the type of response to this work will be unexpected; follow your intuition in interpreting it.
You may test your connection by communicating (mentally) instructions for signals for yes/no responses (such as light getting brighter for less and darker for no) and then mentally ask questions and observe the responses.
When you have found an areas that seems to be responsive and receptive, begin walking to the area, while beaming love energy. Extend your aura to the area and sense the energy.
Entering A Power Spot:
Before entering a power spot, ask permission to enter. If the response is good, enter; if not, locate another more receptive area.
When entering the power spot, look around. Perhaps the responsive energy will be concentrated around some singularity (a bush, a tree, a specific branch, a moss covered rock, or other entity that stands out). Perhaps the energy will be more general. Use your intuition and feedback from the spirits to guide your actions.
If it feels right, send out a signal that you would like to touch the singularity (or the ground) for better communication. If the response is good, approach beaming love energy, and then touch or hug the singularity (or the ground).
Treat the spirits as you would other Pagans you meet for the first time – be sensitive, open, and listen.
Deepening Communication With Nature Spirits:
Now that you have made contact with spirits that seem receptive, deepen the communication:
- Breathe deep breaths from the diaphragm, and with each breath, feel more refreshed.
- Now imagine that your spine is the trunk of a tree; and, from its base, roots extend deep into the Earth. Deep into the rich moist Earth.
- With every breath, feel the roots extending deeper,
- Feel the energy deep within the Earth and within the waters of the Earth.
- Feel your roots absorbing nourishment from the Earth and from its waters.
- Feel the moist, warm energy rising.
- Feel it bursting up from the Earth and rising up your spine, like sap rises in a tree.
- Feel the energy rise to your crown chakra (at the top of your head).
- Now imagine that you have branches, branches that sweep up and then bend down towards the Earth, like the limbs of a willow.
- Feel the branches extending and interweaving with your surroundings.
- Feel the warm, moist energy of the Earth flowing through your branches.
- As it flows, feel yourself being purified, centered, and connected to the Earth.
- Feel the power from the Earth flowing through your branches and then down back to the Earth, like a fountain.
- Note how your branches absorb energy from the air.
- Also, feel them receiving light (fire) from the sky.
- Feel the energy from above penetrating deep through your body into the Earth.
- Feel the warmth of the Earth rising also.
- Feel the energy circulating.
- Notice how your branches intertwine with the branches of energy surrounding you.
- Feel the energy dancing among your branches and the branches around you.
- Notice how your roots also intertwine with underground energy channels.
- Feel the energy dancing between your roots and the surrounding energy patterns.
Notice how you and the life around you are rooted in the same Earth, breathing the same air, receiving the same fire, drinking the same water, sharing the same underlying essence. You are one with the magical grove.
Telepathically mention the time in the past when nature spirits and people communicated regularly and the need to establish such communication now.
Test your connection by asking questions and observing the responses.
Working With Nature Spirits:
Explain to the spirits the purpose of your coming to them and the nature of the ritual you plan.
If the spirits you contacted are receptive, explain to them the details of the ritual and invite them to provide ideas. Listen, you may receive suggestions on how to improve the ritual. Such suggestions may come in the form of hunches, visions, answers to yes/no questions using pre-arranged signals, or in other ways.
Explain what type of space is needed and ask what the best place to perform the ritual is. You may see light or get other psychic signals leading you to other sites, or you may be at one of them.
You may also ask what the best places for other aspects of the planned work are (picnicking, individual vision quests, etc.).
If preparation of the site is needed (removing briars, preparing a fire circle, etc.) ask permission of the spirits before proceeding with such action.
Before you leave the power spot:
- Tell the spirits you have contacted when you plan to return to do the ritual (visualizing the associated lunar and solar aspects can help with this communication).
- Invite them to join in the ritual when you return and to bring their friends.
- Ask if it would be best to return silently, with drums, with chanting, or with some other form of approach.
- You can also ask the spirits to provide guidance for working in balance and to provide a teacher to provide further guidance.
- Thank the spirits,
- Channel love energy,
- Trigger your memory of the experience,
- If it feels right, leave an offering of tobacco, or beer and honey poured on the ground (or other suitable material).
- Leave in peace and love.
Proceed to other sites that were indicated by the spirits, doing similar meditations at each site.
If you need something, like a staff, a Maypole, or a wand, you can also ask where you can find it and follow the guidance you receive (not slavishly, but as you would guidance from another Pagan).
Before leaving the general area in which you found power spots and contacted nature spirits:
- Channel love energy towards the receptive sites you found,
- Thank the spirits of the land,
- Pull back your roots and branches,
- Ground any excess energy into the Earth (placing your hands on the Earth, breathe in any excess energy, and channel the energy down your arms, while visualizing and feeling the energy going into the Earth),
- Leave in peace and love.
Naturally, you should leave the area at least as clean, and preferably cleaner, than you found it.
If you work with techniques of Wicca or Ceremonial Magic, you may find that by casting a circle, calling the Elements, the Goddess, the Gods, and the local nature spirits while you are at receptive sites, you may be able to greatly increase communication.
Through the use of drums and other power raising techniques, it is even possible to energize receptive nature spirits. The results can be very interesting. If with a coven, such circles can be done as part of a group attunement to a power spot you have located.
If you do not get good feelings in response to your explanation of the ritual and are unable to come up with a ritual that gives good responses, do not try to force a good response. You would only be fooling yourself.
- Thank the spirits for their attention.
- Ask them why they are not receptive (if it feels right and they are communicative).
- Trigger your memory.
- Pull back your “roots and branches,” return any excess energy you feel into the Earth.
- If it feels appropriate, leave an offering of tobacco or other appropriate material, out of respect for the spirits.
- Move to a more receptive site.
If it is hard to find a site that is really receptive, you should consider any impressions you got of why the nature spirits weren’t receptive in the area you were in, and re-think your plans for a ritual, as necessary and appropriate.
It may also be appropriate to look for another general area in which to find a suitable power site that is receptive to the work planned.
It can be very powerful to purify and center yourself and to attune to the spirits of the land using the techniques previously described for calling nature spirits immediately upon returning to the site.
Often, individuals may have found small specific power spots to which they have a special attunement, where the spirits are interested in participating; but where the site is too small, has too much vegetation, or is otherwise unsuitable for the main ritual. Individual attunement to the spirits in such areas and inviting them to participate in the main ritual can be worthwhile.
Then approach the main ritual site using the previously arranged technique. You should have the details worked out with the spirits of the land. An exceptionally powerful technique involves doing a procession through or past receptive power spots, inviting nature spirits to join as you pass each power spot, and then moving to the central power spot for the main ritual. If participants are at individual power spots, they can join the procession as it passes nearby.
When consecrating space in the wild, or casting a circle, do not set up the perimeter as a barrier to all outside forces; it should be a beacon to attract friendly nature spirits, a container for holding magical power, and a barrier to spirits who it isn’t right to be with.
One thing that is fun and worthwhile in nature is to bring instruments, such as a rattle, a flute and/or a drum, to tune in to nature’s sounds, and to make music in time to nature’s sounds. You may be able to get some very interesting back and forth exchanges of music going with selected creatures of the wild, and get into an amazing jam session.
After the work is complete, be sure to thank the spirits for their participation. Libations and other offerings may also be left for the spirits during and/or after the ritual.
This article is written by Larry Cornett
Aromas can make us hungry or feel comfort and warmth, or inspire the opposite reactions. The power of scent works with the memory and the magical properties of the material. Incense, oils, herbs – all of these can be gently heated, burned, or used as is to inspire a bit of the sacred each time we breathe in. Aroma is a person’s earliest sense. As babies, long before our eyes focus, we know our world from the scents that surround us.
Aromatherapy and flower essences, such as the Bach flower remedies, employ scent and vibrational energy in a therapeutic sense and have been proven to change one’s mood. They can work both on the self and on others.
In order to use the essential oils listed here, simply dab the oil on a cotton ball and sniff, or place a few drops in an oil burner and gently warm the oil.
- To boost memory – Rosemary
- To inspire lust – Ginger or hibiscus
- To decrease lust – Camphor
- To inspire hunger – Cinnamon or garlic
- To create an atmosphere of comfort – Cedar
- To heal – Eucalyptus
- To protect – Garlic
- To revive energy – Peppermint
- To create sacred space – Frankincense and myrrh
- To attract money – Clove
- To promote sleep – Lavender
- To promote laughter and joy – Orange and lemon
- To ease grief – Rose
- To calm stress – Chamomile
- To conquer fear – Grapefruit
- To calm anger – Patchouli
Found in: Elemental Witch
If you’re interested in Kitchen Witchcraft, here is a useful food starter list and their magical properties. These are staple and ordinary foods that you probably already have in your pantry or refrigerator, but maybe you never realized that they contained magickal properties before.
Keep in mind that food is magick in and of itself. It doesn’t need anything in order to carry magickal properties. Why is this? Because it comes directly from Mother Earth. Every form of life on this planet is a miracle, and our food is nothing short of a miracle. Vegetables, herbs, and fruits are all plants and therefore imbued with Mother Earth’s love and nourishment. Meats and dairy come from Mother Earth’s amazing creatures and should be shown respect and gratitude.
Making a magickal meal is as easy as praying over your food while preparing it and also being thankful for the sustenance given. Keep in mind too, that when preparing your food, whatever energy is surrounding you will also affect the food. So if you’re in a good mood, dancing and singing while preparing, the food will take on some of this energy. Likewise if you’re in a bad mood or nonchalant about the food you are preparing, the food will absorb some of this energy. Mindfulness is all a part of cooking like a witch. Be mindful of your ingredients, their history, their properties and how they can be nurturing to your body.
Transforming Your Kitchen into a Sacred Space.
Before you begin working your kitchen magick, you will want to transform your kitchen into a sacred space. Historically, kitchens have held a place of great honor in the home and fire has always been considered sacred, so the kitchen doesn’t have far to go to become sacred in your home as well.
The first thing you will want to do to create your sacred space is clean the kitchen. It doesn’t sound very magickal, but nothing muddles up magick like catching a glimpse of the dirty dishes stacked in the sink or slipping on a dirty floor. You may also wish to add to the ambiance of the room by growing some herbs on the window sill (which also makes them handy for including in your food and further charges the herbs with your energies) light some candles, open a window and let fresh air in, or even have some special music playing.
Perhaps you will keep a special wooden spoon that you only use for magickal cooking, rather like a special kitchen “wand.“ You may also wish to cast a magick circle, invoke a hearth deity or two, or maybe say a blessing. Do whatever that will put you in the mood to make magick.
Magickal Cooking Tips
Magickal cooking is based on sympathetic magick, the idea that like things can influence each other. It uses different foods to represent the outcome you wish to achieve. Like any lists of correspondences you might encounter, if something sounds wrong to you, or you have different associations with something, go with what you feel is right, not what you just see written somewhere.
It is also good to note that you do not need to have an elaborate feast to perform magick in this matter. A simple snack can be just as effective if the intention is there. Even if you do have a large dinner planned, the whole meal does not need to revolve around your purpose.
When deciding what sort of food to prepare, don’t forget to make something you like. You aren’t going to be able to focus on your intention if you are trying not to gag on a food you can’t stand! At the same time, try to eat primarily healthy foods. While there are some exceptions, most foods that are bad for your health are useless magickally as well.
In addition to what you are going to prepare, how you prepare it can make a difference in the energies of the food as well. For example, for protection dishes, fried foods, hot foods, and spicy, hot dishes all work well. For strength, you may with to sauté your food or prepare something spicy. Flaming foods are good for strength and steamed food is good for purification.
Before you begin cooking, hold the ingredients you are going to use and visualize your goal, charging it with your energies. As you prepare the food, keep this intent in mind. Since the magick is in the intent, it is not recommended that you try to perform your magick when you are tired, grumpy, or sick as it would be too easy for some of this negative energy to seep into your spell working.
If you are preparing a meal for others in addition to yourself, take care to not load the whole dish with your intention (just your portion) without their knowledge and consent as this could be considered manipulative magick. Keep the magick going during the meal as well by continuing to visualize while you eat.
Don’t get discouraged if your cooking spell doesn’t work right away. Most spell work takes time and you may even need to make several meals before you see it come to fruition.
Magickal Fruits, Breads, and Sweets
Baking is a wonderful opportunity to create magick in your kitchen. Especially when kneading bread, you have a great chance to infuse your food with your magickal intentions. In fact, bread making itself is considered by many to be a sacred act and can be a ritual in itself.
With many baked goods, such as breads, muffins, pies, cakes, or pastries, you can change the energies of your food by changing flavors or fillings. Several examples are given below, but the possibilities are endless! With things you can form into different shapes, such as cookies, pancakes or breads, you can further strengthen your intentions by forming them into a shape or symbol of what you are looking to achieve.
Apples are known as the Wiccan food that is the sacred fruit to the Goddess. The sacred fruit to the Isle of Avalon. If you cut an apple horizontally through it’s center, you will see the 5 pointed star formed by its seeds. Apples are used in love, healing, garden magic, and immortality.
Red apples are for love.
Golden apples are for fame and popularity.
Green apples are for prosperity.
This forbidden fruit yields much power. Offer a bite to a prospective lover. If he or she accepts, you will begin a love affair. Leave an offering of an apple under a tree for Venus and make a request for love.
The bagel is a round shaped bread with a hole that is ruled by Adonis. A food that is perfect for breakfast and is of various flavors and types. Eat bagels to create illusions. The more you pile on top of the bagel, the more people will believe and enjoy the tall tales you tell.
Sesame bagels: prosperity.
Poppy bagels: eaten before bed to increase dream activity (don’t eat before having to take a drug test as the poppy seeds are known to induce a positive for opiates).
Salt bagels: gets rid of inconsistencies, and make one a better liar.
Cinnamon raisin bagels: makes flattery come easy.
The everything bagel makes wishes come true.
Warning: never put ham or pork products on a bagel, it brings very bad luck!
Meditate on the hole in the bagel when you need to pull a quick disappearing act ~ especially from creditors.
The banana is an everyday food that is a fruit and ruled by Mars. Prevents harm and accidents while traveling cross-country or by air. To increase sexual stamina – dry and crush the banana into a powder and than rub it on your body. It has powerful lust properties because of its obvious shape.
Chocolate can be used as flavoring or as a dessert itself; can be drank as a beverage (hot cocoa/chocolate). Hot chocolate was invented by the Meso-American natives, the Aztecs and Mayans were known to consume it often and believed it increased power and virility in their warriors. It was a sacred food to various ancient peoples. Chocolate is a power drug and it holds properties of love.
Dark chocolate is associated with romance and intimacy.
Milk chocolate is associated with nurturing and friendship.
A staple for witches in the kitchen, especially for those trying to induce love or aspects of love. It has been scientifically proven to raise the endorphin levels in the body.
Even condiments have magickal properties! Ketchup is ruled by Venus, as it is made of tomatoes which are also ruled by Venus. When drawn in the shape of a pentagram is used for summoning or dismissing energy. When spreading on other foods, can be used in visualizing relationships. Continue to visualize or call out person’s name while consuming ketchup. Ketchup is associated with love, because tomatoes were once thought to be a powerful aphrodisiac.
This fruit is well known all over the world and dates back to prehistory. Can be used in love, joy, and inspiration magic. Placed in stockings on Christmas as sympathetic magic to encourage the return of the sun. Directly associated to the sun and solar magick. Eat to lift your spirits. Dry and grind into a powder to use in love and abundance spells.
Blood oranges incite the passions when eaten.
In China, the orange is a symbol of gold and prosperity. Leave as an offering next to a Buddha statue to increase your luck and wealth
Pasta is ruled by Mercury.
Spiral pasta enhances creativity. Spaghetti/linguine is good for protection and improving communications. Corn pasta helps bring financial creativity. Rice pasta is good for love.
Ruled by Venus and originating in ancient Greece and Rome, pies are associated with happiness, love, and wholeness.
Eat cherry pie to increase self-confidence and find self-love.
All fruit pies invoke love when shared with another.
Meat pies create feelings of security.
Place your thumb in a pie and make a wish. It just might come true!
Pizza is a delicious and recreational food that is ruled by the Sun. Eat pizza when things are difficult and you need a lucky break. Or when you get the craving. Whole pizzas should be blessed with prosperity before being consumed. Eat a triangular slice when things seem very difficult and you feel you need a lucky break with any situation in your life. The Sicilian, or square pizza does not hold any magickal properties.
Rum is an alcohol that is ruled by Ellegua and Chango. Distilled from molasses and caramel, rum has a deep brown color that attracts sweetness. Drinking it channels the spirits of the gods. Traditionally you must spit the rum over an idol or representation of the god. Use in baking a rum cake or mix with coke for a fun Friday night!
Sugar is ruled by the Orishas and by the goddess of love – Venus. Can be used in spell jars, bags, and more.
Chew on raw sugar cane to draw spirits into the body. It is one of the quickest ways to become possessed by the gods. Sprinkle powdered or confectioners’ sugar on pink or red love candles to make another “sweet on you.
Synthetic sugar substitutes are not generally considered to have magickal qualities.
Working with herbs is an easy way to apply energy correspondences. Every Kitchen Witch knows that even the most
common herb welds magickal energies. Parsley is used for fertility, thyme for clairvoyance, garlic for protection… and that sprinkling an herb over a dish or simmering a few into a dinner can imbue a meal with energy. Energy abounds in nature. In magick natural aspects are gathered and infused with intent.
Adding herbs to your cooking not only adds nutrients (yes, each herbal teaspoon is loaded not only with flavor but with antioxidants and vitamins too) it will add energy to manifest intent.
- For example:
While the French regard their food as ‘the food of Love’, it’s actually the Italians that steps up to the magickal index. Basil, Marjoram, Rosemary and Thyme are all herbs with magickal properties used to kindle affection. One of the easiest love spells to work is to serve a nice Italian meal incorporating these herbs into a sauce. As you make the sauce firmly hold your intention in your mind then serve the meal to the object of your desire.
Basil is a popular Wiccan food for Wicca in the kitchen. A very useful and fragrant herb that can be used fresh or dried in cooking. This is a lust herb and the aroma calls forth sexual energy.
Bay leaves have been used for centuries in the Mediterranean. They are believed to enhance psychic powers when burned. Add them to various dishes of Italian, Cuban, and Greek ethnicity to connect to the gods.
- Chili Powder:
Chili powder is made from ground, dried chilies. It has been used in hoodoo and other forms of folk magic for centuries. Often it is used to in spells to “send someone away” or to shut someone up. It has a powerful kick and should be used wisely in magick and it is spicy and should be used sparingly in food (unless you like spicy foods then more power to you!)
Cilantro is the leaf and coriander is the seed of this tasty herb. Ruled by Mars and used in love and lust magick. If the seeds are worn will help with migraine headaches. Used in flavoring foods, great in salsa and chutney. Used in love and healing magick.
Cinnamon is a multi-purpose powdered root used in desserts and dishes. Its magical properties include abundance/money, protection, and love.
Cumin is an ancient herb used in the Middle East and Mediterranean to flavor stews and meat dishes. Blended into drinks to promote lust. Used in foods to promote love and protection. Ruled by Mars.
Oregano is used in Italian food to flavor meat and tomato dishes. Ruled by Venus. Can be used in love, happiness, luck, and protection magick. Also said to enhance psychic abilities.
This sweet-tasting, invigorating herb is used in desserts and also as a tea. Carry dried peppermint leaves in your wallet to bring in more money. Said to help with stomachaches or sour stomachs. When grown in the garden is good luck.
Rosemary is an herb used to enhance intuition and psychic abilities. When taken as a supplement is said to improve memory and cognition.
While technically not an herb, salt is used to flavor many dishes both culinary and baking. It has a purifying and cleansing effect and has been used for centuries to absorb negative energies and protect oneself and house from evil. There are different kinds of salt, and it is best to stay away from iodized “table” salt. Sea salt and Himalayan pink salt are best for the body. Himalayan pink salt helps to decalcify one’s pineal gland.
Thyme is an herb long associated with the fae or fairies. Ruled by Venus. Used to purify, bring pleasant dreams, worn or burned for good health, can be used in food to attract fortune, love, courage, and psychic skill.
Everyone has to eat, and if all food is prepared with an intention for love, money or protection, cooking will help you to manifest what you want out of life. As you practice your magick cookery you will find a new joy in the ritual of food preparation. Food contains the energy of love, protection, sensuality, strength, fertility, and prosperity to name a few. Discover the magic of food by utilizing the energy contained within.
The preparation of food, with a particular intention in mind, is old magic. Look at food as sacred, let the act of preparing, cooking and eating food be a sacred act. Your kitchen can be a place of powerful magic, work slowly and deliberately to hone your craft.
Ancient Greek myth states that an angry god turned a beautiful woman into the first artichoke because he was jealous of her looks. The artichoke originated in the Mediterranean region. The ancient Romans enjoyed them as a luxury food, preserving them in brine or vinegar.
Magickal uses include protection, growth, and safety, associated with Mars and the Fire element. A member of the thistle family, the artichoke is associated with protection because of it’s sharp outer points and prickly inside.
This root vegetable is considered to be feminine. It represents the Power of Love. Beet juice can be used as a replacement for blood in spells of old, also in Love magic. It is said that if a couple eat of the same beet, then they will fall in love forever.
People who feared Friday the 13th at one time placed cabbage leaves on their foreheads to ward off evil spirits. Cabbage was so valued in ancient Greece that officials passed a law in 621 BCE that proscribed the death penalty for anyone caught stealing cabbages. The ancient Greeks also thought that eating a head of cabbage everyday would cure insanity and nervous conditions.
Magickal uses include protection and money, associated with the Moon and the Water element. Serve cabbage on the night of the Full Moon, and after magickal/spiritual rituals. Cabbage can also be eaten to internalize protection. Green cabbage is good for money-drawing.
The carrot is a root plant ruled by Mars. Because of its shape is associated with lust and fertility. When eaten by women encourages pregnancy. The flowers of the plant are known as Queen Anne’s Lace. Come in various colors – white, orange, and even purple.
Celery has long been known as an aphrodisiac. Ancient Roman women ate celery to increase their sexual appetites. Celery soup was a favorite dish at Madame de Pompadour’s salon for just this purpose. Modern science has found that cooked celery emits a type of pheromone, the sex-attracting chemical secreted by humans and animals.
Magical uses include sex, peace, psychic awareness, grounding and weight loss, associated with Mercury and the Fire element. Make a celery soup, visualizing that your sexual appetites will increase. Or use a different visualization with raw or cooked celery to soothe and bring peace. Use celery seed as a seasoning to strengthen psychic awareness.
The stalk and seeds will induce lust upon consumption. Chewing on the seeds will help center yourself and help with concentration. The seed can be used in spell pillows to induce sleep. To increase psychic powers, burn with orris root.
- Chili Pepper:
Chili peppers were cultivated in Mexico 9,000 years ago. The Aztecs used chili peppers in exorcism rituals. Chili peppers were recently banned from one state’s prison system because the burning vegetable can be used as a weapon. The Spanish conquistadors were repelled in some parts of South America by the smoke of burning chilies.
In modern-day New Mexico, some people burn the core of a red bell pepper on Friday nights to ward off evil from harmful humans. Magickal uses include protection, associated with planet Mars, the Greek God Ares and the Fire element. Add jalapeno, cayenne, or bell peppers to guard against negative energies.
Ruled by Venus and the Earth element, corn embodies powers of protection divination and luck. The Corn Mother is a Goddess that has been worshiped through time by East and North America. She is the deity of fertility and plenty, the corn either whole or ground is used to bless and scattered for ritual.
Make a necklace of whole kernels to prevent nose bleeds. Cornstalks hung over the mirror brings good luck to the household. Red corncobs were burned in the mountains of North America on the homes doorstep or under the bed to aid in childbirth. Pollen from corn was used in rain making rituals by Meso-Americans. Placing an ear of corn with a sleeping infant will keep out negative energy.
A feminine vegetable ruled by the moon, for chastity, fertility and healing. The peels of the cucumber placed on the forehead will help aid in the cure of a headache. Eating of the seeds will help with fertility, and when the cucumber it’s self is eaten it hinders lust. Sliced thinly and placed on the eyes it cures dry and swollen eyes.
Lettuce is associated with the element of water, as it is made up mostly of water. Ruled by the moon and is eaten to prevent sea-sickness. Can be used in protection spells, particularly helpful if grown in the garden to protect one’s home. Rubbed on face/forehead to help fall asleep. Also used in divination and chastity magick. Very healthy to eat as high in fiber, vitamins, and water content.
The onion is a masculine root plant used in various forms of magick. When cut open and left in a room will absorb sickness. Grow it in the garden to protect one’s home against evil spirits. Used also in money and lust magick and will produce prophetic dreams if placed under the pillow. The Holy Trinity of vegetables to be used in many culinary dishes is carrot, celery, and onion sauteed in a butter base (shhh, don’t tell anyone my secret to amazing stuffing!).
The various colors of peppers have different associations:
Eat red peppers with a lover to improve your sex life.
Eat purple peppers on Thursdays or full moons for power, protection and wisdom.
Eat orange peppers for creativity and spiritual evolution
If you are awaiting a money award in a court settlement, write the amount you want on a piece of paper. Cut a slit in a green pepper and place the piece of paper inside of it. Put the pepper in the freezer and keep it there until you have won your case.
Potatoes are a staple food in Ireland dating back centuries. Once thought to be poisonous as a part of the nightshade family, now a very common eaten food all over the world. Ruled by the moon. When eaten baked or fried can help calm an upset stomach (my own personal remedy). Used in healing magick.
According to early American legend, if half a pumpkin is left exposed in the kitchen, negative energies will arrive to spoil the cooking. Pumpkins are carved in the United states on Halloween to scare away evil. Pumpkins can be a part of Samhain celebrations as symbols of the fruitfulness of the earth. Pumpkins are also symbols of the Mother Goddess.
Add pumpkin dishes to health diets. Eat the seeds after roasting them, or enjoy pumpkin pie or pumpkin bread. It is also a money-attractant.
While not technically not a vegetable, most people consider it as such. Was thought to be the fruit of love in the Mediterranean region. Is considered a powerful aphrodisiac and is used in many Italian, Greek, and Mexican dishes.
The zucchini is a veggie (some say fruit) that is ruled by Jupiter. Whole raw zucchinis are used in sex magick. To stop a man from cheating, carve his name in the zucchini and freeze it. Eat zucchini cooked for protection and prosperity.
More information about food and magick can be found here:
Candle magick is based on the same principle as that of color therapy. Different colors have different frequencies which, in turn, have different effects on the human psyche. We can use these effects in a positive manner to enhance our mind power. Likewise, some candles are also fragrant and the different fragrances can also reflect differently on one’s feelings and emotions. Therefore, through candle magick, practitioners can make use of varying fragrances and colors of candles to create different effects for their clients.
According to the science of candle magick, specific candles may be used on specific days of the week, since these colors are also associated with the different Planets. Thus:
- Sunday– Gold or yellow candles
- Monday– Silver, Grey or White
- Tuesday– Red
- Wednesday– Purple
- Thursday– Blue
- Friday– Green
- Saturday– Black or Purple
Candle magick therapists also recommend specific colored candles for addressing different illnesses. In brief, these are:
- Allergies– Violet
- Anxiety– Rose
- Colds– Green/violet
- Depression– Orange/Indigo/Rose
- Insomnia– Blue
- Indigestion– Yellow
- Fever– Blue
- Headaches– Green/blue
- Diabetes– Yellow
Here are the meanings of different candle colors in general:
- White– Destruction of negative energy, peace, truth and purity
- Purple– Spiritual awareness, wisdom, tranquility
- Lavender– Intuition, Paranormal, Peace, Healing
- Blue and Deep Blue– Meditation, Healing, Forgiveness, Inspiration, Fidelity, Happiness, and opening lines of Communication.
- Green– Money, Fertility, Luck, Abundance, Health (not to be used when diagnosed with Cancer), Success
- Rose and Pink– Positive self love, friendship, harmony, joy
- Yellow– Realizing and manifesting thoughts, confidence, bringing plans into action, creativity, intelligence, mental clarity, clairvoyance.
- Orange– Joy, energy, education, strength attraction, stimulation
- Red or Deep Red– Passion, energy, love, lust, relationships, sex, vitality, courage.
- Black– Protection, absorption and destruction of negative energy and also repelling negative energy from others
- Silver– Goddess or feminine energy, remove negativity, psychic development
- Gold– Male energy, Solar energy, fortune, spiritual attainment,
Candle magick practitioners often recommend writing names, dates, birth dates and certain symbols on the candle (or its enclosing glass) to reaffirm one’s intentions. Additionally, the candles must be anointed in oil and you can use simple Olive oil or specific essential oils to dress the candle and increase their effectiveness.
Based upon the intentions or reasons why you are using candle colors based on their specific meanings, you will require taking a bath or cleansing the mind through meditation. The dressing of the candle is itself a ritual where you must completely focus on the intention while rubbing the oil on the wax of the candle.
Source: Color Meanings
The crossroads are literally where different roads meet and where they separate, where opportunity emerges to change directions. They are unpredictable; you could take any one of a variety of choices. Magically speaking a crossroads is the place where multiple forces converge, where anything can happen, where transformations may occur. Energy is liberated and expanded at the crossroads. Instead of hopping over boundaries, you can stand in the center and be inundated by power, potential and choices.
Crossroads are ubiquitous in magic. Many spells demand to be cast at the crossroads, others require that the remnants of spells – left over candle stubs, ashes and the such – be buried at the crossroads where their energy can safely disperse.
Specific types of spiritual entities, known as “road-openers” and inevitably beings of great power preside over crossroads. These beings can be petitioned for knowledge, information and for a change in destiny. They control thresholds and roads and determine who has free access and who finds roads barred, who will choose the right fork in the road and who will wander hopelessly lost forever.
In ancient Greece, Hermes ruled the four-way crossroads, while Hecate presided over three-way crossroads. In West Africa, Eshu-Elegbara rules the crossroads as does his Western hemisphere incarnations Elegba, Papa Legba and Exu. In Brazil, Exu’s female counterpart, Pomba Gira, presides over T-shaped crossroads.
Once upon a time, crossroads were where people met, where nomads rendezvoused, where gallows stood, where the death penalty was enacted and corpses left to hang, where suicides were buried. If magic spells were cast according to direction, then midnight at the crossroads must have frequently been a crowded, busy place, especially on a night like Halloween when the veil that divides the realms of living and dead is at its most permeable, leaving an open road for inter-realm communication.
Christian authorities frequently urged people to avoid the crossroads, particularly at night, as it was the devil’s stomping grounds. If you were looking to meet Satan, however, if you had a proposition or a request for him, the crossroads was where you were most likely to find him.
Unfortunately, the most accessible modern crossroads are traffic intersections. The magic energy remains, however. Think about a busy intersection: on a good day you fly straight through, making a journey faster and easier. A traffic tie-up, however, is an energy build-up with added potential for accidents and road rage.
Faithfully attempting to follow a spell’s directions may leave you playing in the middle of traffic. In Rio de Janeiro, Pomba Gira’s devotees take this into account: offerings aren’t left where you might expect, at the center of the crossroads, but by the side of the road. No matter how powerful your spell, it will have no opportunity to work if you get hit by a car during the casting.
Find an appropriate old-fashioned crossroads, a safe area of a modern crossroads, or read between the lines – figure out what the spell really requires (why you’re being sent to the crossroads, for what purpose) and adapt and substitute as needed. Not all crossroads are literal intersections of roads. Other crossings include: Graveyards, bathhouses, ruins, bike paths, and altars.