Here is a list of the five useful colors for negative work. These can be used for candles, mojo bags, etc.
- Red: Hotfoot, Speed, Anger, Violence
- Black: General Curses, Death, Bad Luck
- Purple: Domination, Loss of Power, Addiction
- Yellow: Legal Troubles, Lose Favor, Illness in the Belly
- Green: Sickness, Loss of Money, Rot and Decay
Note: Curses, hexes, jinxes, and other negative spell work should not be undertaken lightly, and are not recommended as they have a tendency to blow back on the person casting the spell.
Source: Hoodoo Delish
Candle magick is based on the same principle as that of color therapy. Different colors have different frequencies which, in turn, have different effects on the human psyche. We can use these effects in a positive manner to enhance our mind power. Likewise, some candles are also fragrant and the different fragrances can also reflect differently on one’s feelings and emotions. Therefore, through candle magick, practitioners can make use of varying fragrances and colors of candles to create different effects for their clients.
According to the science of candle magick, specific candles may be used on specific days of the week, since these colors are also associated with the different Planets. Thus:
- Sunday– Gold or yellow candles
- Monday– Silver, Grey or White
- Tuesday– Red
- Wednesday– Purple
- Thursday– Blue
- Friday– Green
- Saturday– Black or Purple
Candle magick therapists also recommend specific colored candles for addressing different illnesses. In brief, these are:
- Allergies– Violet
- Anxiety– Rose
- Colds– Green/violet
- Depression– Orange/Indigo/Rose
- Insomnia– Blue
- Indigestion– Yellow
- Fever– Blue
- Headaches– Green/blue
- Diabetes– Yellow
Here are the meanings of different candle colors in general:
- White– Destruction of negative energy, peace, truth and purity
- Purple– Spiritual awareness, wisdom, tranquility
- Lavender– Intuition, Paranormal, Peace, Healing
- Blue and Deep Blue– Meditation, Healing, Forgiveness, Inspiration, Fidelity, Happiness, and opening lines of Communication.
- Green– Money, Fertility, Luck, Abundance, Health (not to be used when diagnosed with Cancer), Success
- Rose and Pink– Positive self love, friendship, harmony, joy
- Yellow– Realizing and manifesting thoughts, confidence, bringing plans into action, creativity, intelligence, mental clarity, clairvoyance.
- Orange– Joy, energy, education, strength attraction, stimulation
- Red or Deep Red– Passion, energy, love, lust, relationships, sex, vitality, courage.
- Black– Protection, absorption and destruction of negative energy and also repelling negative energy from others
- Silver– Goddess or feminine energy, remove negativity, psychic development
- Gold– Male energy, Solar energy, fortune, spiritual attainment,
Candle magick practitioners often recommend writing names, dates, birth dates and certain symbols on the candle (or its enclosing glass) to reaffirm one’s intentions. Additionally, the candles must be anointed in oil and you can use simple Olive oil or specific essential oils to dress the candle and increase their effectiveness.
Based upon the intentions or reasons why you are using candle colors based on their specific meanings, you will require taking a bath or cleansing the mind through meditation. The dressing of the candle is itself a ritual where you must completely focus on the intention while rubbing the oil on the wax of the candle.
Source: Color Meanings
- Black – Absorb and dispel negative influences, Mystery, Rememberance, Eternity, Constancy
- Blue – Healing, Peace, Astral projection, Fidelity, Sleep, Unity
- Brown – Animals, Helps connect to the rythms and energies of the Earth
- Gold – Activity, Money, The God, The Sun
- Green – Abundance, Calm, Fertility, Prosperity, Neutralize difficult situations, Renewal, Freshness, Hope
- Indigo – Clairvoyance, Healing, Past lives
- Orange – Attraction, Energy, Friendship, Willpower, Endurance, Strength
- Pink – Romantic love, Peace
- Purple – Communication with higher level beings, Connection with the Divine, Ending quarrels, Healing, Tranquility, Patience, Trust, Deep Sleep, Healing serious illnesses
- Red – Courage, Lust, New life, Desire, Passion, Sexuality, Strength, Enthusiasm
- Red Violet – Hidden knowledge
- Silver – Psychic abilities, Spirituality, The Goddess, The Moon
- Turquoise – Spiritual Knowledge
- White – Good fortune, Healing, Purification, Virgin Goddess
- Yellow – Creativity, Communication, Intellect, Knowledge, Youth, Mind Power, Light, Purity, Happiness, Wisdom
See Also: The Magickal Meanings of Colors
In magick, colors represent certain energies, goals, people and non-physical beings, such as deities or spiritual forces. For this reason, you should include candles, gemstones, cords and other objects of differing colors in your magick rituals.
Colors also often have personal meanings for us. Anytime a person employs the symbolism inherent in colors, they are in effect using magick. Common examples of this can be found in such phrases as “green with envy”, “black with rage”, “feeling blue”, “in the pink” and many more.
The particular symbolism of any given color may vary widely from source to source, and depending upon whether you are burning a candle, knotting a cord, draping an altar or creating a talisman. You will find that many books, such as Buckland’s Practical Candleburning Rituals, offer different suggestions for colors when used in magick. In addition, there are also colors for astrological signs and planetary or elemental magick..
Some magickal systems use “flashing colors” – those that are complimentary, such as red and green – to create an optical illusion that appears to flash when placed together. Such “flashing colors” are said to have great power in attracting the corresponding magickal forces. “Flashing colors” can be used in almost any type of ritual or spell work where you will be using colors, particularly when the visual aspect of the color is important.
Below are links to basic information on each of the colors:
Note: These are only guides to use for reference, As we each are individuals, so are our choices, always let your own feelings determine your color choices. Don’t be afraid to experiment with colors and find what and how it works best for you!
Found at: Real Magick
- Magickal Purpose: Orange’s uses in magic are for breaking spells, promoting personal creativity, increasing memory, healing nervous disorders, controlling runaway emotions, travel, writing, business transactions and obtaining information.
- Magickal Uses: Personal creativity, career, legal issues, business
Orange is a male color. The color orange symbolizes success, energy, spiritual evolution, and creativity. Orange is the color of mental agility, eloquence and speech, health, ambition, personal creativity, balancing business, legal problems, memory and sharing. Orange combines the intellect of yellow with the vitality of red.
Orange’s uses in magic are for breaking spells, promoting personal creativity, increasing memory, healing nervous disorders, controlling runaway emotions, career, legal issues, balance and neutrality, organization, travel, writing, business transactions and obtaining information.
Here are the magickal correspondences for the color Orange:
- Element: Air/Fire
- Direction: East/South
- Chakra: Spleen Chakra
- Planets: Mercury, Mars, Saturn
- Tuesday – Physical Action,
- Wednesday – Mental Action,
- Sunday – Both Actions
- Number: 2
- Magickal tools: Wand and Censer
- Scent/Essential Oil: Dill, Lily of the Valley, Savory, Honeysuckle, Sweetpea, Jasmine
- Plant/Herb: Fern, Lily of the Valley, Marjoram Savory, Valerian, Vervain, Alstonia, Buckwheat, Calamint, Snapdragon, Flax, Senna, Wandering Jew, Mugwort, Rue, the same as the Red and Yellow for enhancements, Fenugreek, Gardenia.
- Tree/Wood: Hazel, Beech, Lemon Tree, Maple, Lime tree, Orange Tree.
- Animal: All of the RED animals, Swallow, Prairie Dog, Butterfly, Scallop, Bison, Butterfly, Catbird, Crane, Fox (clarity), Hawk, Martin, Prairie Dog and Squirrel.
- Minerals/Stones: Moss Agate, Carnelian, Alexandrite, Orange Sapphire, Quartz, Orange Calcite, Petrified Wood
- Tarot Cards: The Eights.
- Gods: Atlas, Janus, Terminus, Pan, Zeus,
- Goddess: Athena, Bast, Carna, Diana, Lilith, Kali, Melusine, Minerva, Rhiannon, Syn
- Personality: Agreeable, extroverted, excitable, sociable
- Magickal Purpose: Justice, royalty, the psychic, meditation, idealism, mysticism, guidance, divination.
- Magickal Uses: Protection, justice power, spirit contact, breaking of bad luck, drive away evil, divination, spiritual and psychic powers, Astral Projection. This color is good to use when you don`t have a white candle.
Purple is the color of power, influence, success, idealism, psychic manifestations, prophecy, and wisdom. Burn purple candles to increase business. It is ideal for rituals to secure ambitions, independence, financial rewards, or to make contact with the spiritual other world.
Purple is also a great color for those pursuing higher education. Use purple candles in love spells to make a partner stay at home and remain faithful. Purple altar cloths are the best choice for psychic work or to wrap up tarot cards. This color increases Neptune energy.
Here are the magickal correspondences for the color purple:
- Element: Air
- Direction: East
- Chakra: Brow Chakra
- Planet: Jupiter
- Day: Thursday
- Number: 7
- Magickal Tools: Wand, Cauldron
- Scent/Essential Oils: Cedar, Carnation, Nutmeg Lotus, Angelica, Bay, Cinnamon, Ginger, Sandalwood, Jasmine.
- Plant/Herb: Mimosa, Wisteria, Mugwort Hazel, Eyebright, Rowan, Elder, Rue, Shamrock, Clover, Oak, Dandelion, Betony, Meadowsweet, Begonia, Cactus, Dahlia, Iris, Violet.
- Tree/Wood: Willow, Lilac, and Mulberry.
- Animal: Elephant, Unicorn, Rabbit, Jaguar, Chickadee, Cuckoo, Eagle, Elk, Penguin, Vulture, Grasshopper, Chameleon, Lizard.
- Feather: Spirituality, religion
- Minerals/Stones: Amethyst, Sapphire, Lapis Lazuli and Beryl, Clear Quartz, All Opals
- Tarot: Justice, Fours.
- God: Anase, Apollo, Forseti, Ida-ten, Mishara, Mithras, Musku, Tyr, Varuna
- Goddess: Aleitheia, Astraea, Athene, Hecate, Justita, Kali, Maiat, Mens, Morrigan, Syn, Oya
- Personality: Proud, independent, mystical arts, religious nature. This Person will not turn a blind eye, if they feel a cause of action is wrong, no matter the side they take.
- Magickal Purpose: Gain strength and become more connected to the earth.
- Magickal Uses: Centering, grounding, building, study, house and home, the accumulation of money and material things, healing plants and animals, finding lost items, gardening and decision-making.
The color brown is used in magick to gain strength and become more connected to the earth. Brown autumn leaves placed upon an altar will enable greater endurance and protection during the winter months. Burning brown candles normally separates individuals, but in Pennsylvania hex magick, the color is used to promote serious relationships between men and women. It is the color of deep abiding and committed love.
Brown is a female color. It is the color of the Earth’s energy, grounding, exercise, organization, solidity, the soil, practicality, solitude and honesty. Brown combines the prosperity of green with the intellect of yellow. Brown is used in magick primarily for centering, grounding, building, study, house and home, the accumulation of money and material things, healing plants and animals, finding lost items, gardening and decision-making.
The color brown is indicated for rituals of material increase, justice and retribution. This color eliminates indecisiveness; improves powers of concentration, study, telepathy; increases financial success; and locates objects that have been lost. Brown is also a good color for animal healing.
Here are the magickal correspondences for the color brown:
- Element: Earth
- Direction: North
- Chakra: Feet, Foot Chakras
- Planets: Earth
- Mondays/Mondays – Tan Browns
- Friday/Venus – All Browns
- Saturday/Saturn – Dark Browns
- Number: 2 and 3
- Magickal tools: Wand, Salt and Goblet
- Scent/Essential Oil: Birch, Cherry, Cloves Lilac, Rosemary, Orange Blossom, Bergamot, Comfrey, Linden, Patchouli and Myrrh.
- Plant/Herb: Corn, Tansy, Ginseng, Willow, Lily, Ivy, Grains, Oats, Mushrooms, Orange Tree, Almond, Begonia, Daisy, Brown includes all of the aspects of yellow and green.
- Animal: Toads, Cowbird, Faeries, Dog, Ostrich, Gnomes, Wolf, Bison, Elves, Pigeon, Horse, Deer,Pelican, Turkey, Woodpecker, Ants, Snake Pheasant, Beaver, Goat, Moose Cow and Bull.
- Minerals/Stones: Petrified Wood, Rock Crystal, Smokey Quartz, Amber, some Tiger Eye, Sandstone, Granite, Pumice, and Turquoise.
- Tarot Cards: the four Pages and the four Tens.
- Magickal Purpose: Emotion, healing, mental, calming, tranquility, sleep, peace, loyalty, good will, purifying and protection, hope, sincerity, truth and patience, Poet or Bard, communication mental, written and oral skills Sleep, twilight
- Magickal Uses: Water magick. Balance, healing, peace and patience, communications, health friendships, dreams, sleep, inspiration, harmony in the home, meditations. Since it is traditional to surround your magickal circle with candles representing each of the four directions, and since blue is the color of water (west) and sky (east), use a blue candle to represent either of these quarters.
Sensitivity, intellect, protection, calmness, benevolence, and wisdom are all invoked through the color blue. Eat blue foods, like blueberries, or blue corn, to alleviate stress. Burn blue candles to get out of harm’s way or bring a judgment in your favor. Visualize the color blue while taking a test, at it increases mental activity and relaxes and opens brain centers. Blue is a primary spiritual color; use it in rituals to obtain harmony, inner light, or peace. Blue is also a healing color and confers truth and guidance.
Variations of the color blue and their attributes:
- Royal Blue: Healing, Promotes laughter and joviality; loyalty; use to attract Jupiter energy, or whenever an influence needs to be increased.
- Light Blue: Healing, Spiritual color; helpful in devotional or inspirational meditations; brings peace and tranquility to the home; radiates Aquarius energy; employ where a situation must be synthesized.
- Dark blue: Healing, Spells for creativity, peace and communication. Also for deep meditation and karma work.
Here are the magickal correspondences for the color blue:
- Element: Water
- Direction: West
- Chakra: Fifth, Throat Chakra
- Planets: Jupiter, Neptune, Mercury, Moon
- Monday/Moon, Light Blues – peace, patience;
- Wednesday/Mercury, Blues – friendships, creativity, dreams;
- Thursday/Jupiter, Royal Blue – honor, happiness;
- Saturday/Saturn, Dark Blues – communication
- Number: 3
- Magickal Tools: Wand, Cauldron, Chalice
- Scent/Essential Oils: Lily of the Valley, Honeysuckle, Cedar, Basil, Jasmine, Sweetpea, Lotus
- Plant/Herbs: Carnation, Honeysuckle, Orange, Heather, Cypress, Hazel, Oak Moss, Mallow, Aloe Vera, Buttercup(communication), Daffodil and Baby’s Breath
- Tree/Wood: Cedar
- Animal: Dolphin, Whale, Mermaid, BlueJay, Gull, Giraffe, Robin, Deer, Ass, Clam, Lizard and the Frog
- Combinations: Use blue, black, and white together for change and easy transition
- Minerals/Stones: Azurite, Turquoise, Coral, Blue, Opal, Tanzanite, Sapphire, Chrysacola, Hematite, Sodalite, Blue Lace Agate, Lapis Lazuli (children), Aguamarine, Sapphire.
- Tarot Cards: The Heirophant, Cups
- Gods: Apollo, Asclepius, Bannick, Ceadda, Dabog, Dianceht, Esculapius, Forseti, Gucumatz, Hastehogan Lares, Kuan Ti, Penates, Tien Kuan
- Goddess: Alcyone, Aphrodite, Artemis, Bannick, Brigid, Cardea, Concordia, Dugnia, Eir, Gula, Harmonia, Hestia, Hygenia, Karusepas, Kedesh,Kikimora, Kwan Yin, Liban, Meditrina, Neith, Pax, Rhiannon, Salus, Vesta
- The Personality: Sensitivity, introspection, communication .This person has the sensitivity of a poet or an artist. Loves family and home. Is loyal, conscientious and observant. Also, may be a little more psychic than he/she believes themselves to be.
- Magical Purpose: Nature, growth, prosperity, luck, fertility, changes, rejuvenation, jealousy, envy.
- Magickal Uses: Earth magick, Faerie magick, money, luck, fertility, faerie contact, guide contact
The color green promotes prosperity, fertility, success; stimulates rituals for good luck, money, harmony, and rejuvenation.The color of money (at least in the United States), green is the best color to work with to attract wealth. Green is also the color of healing. Use the color green in fertility rites and to open channels for new love or to heal emotional problems. Use dark green with caution, however, because it is the color of ambition, greed, and jealousy; counteracts these influences in a ritual.
Here are the magickal correspondences for the color green:
- Element: Earth
- Direction: North
- Chakra: Fourth, Heart Chakra
- Planets: Venus, Jupiter, Mars
- Days: Friday/Venus – love, friendship; Wednesday/Mercury – business transactions; Thursday/Jupiter- Luck, prosperity
- Number: 4
- Magickal Tools: Wand, Cauldron
- Magickal Forms: Candles, cloth, glitter
- Scent/Essential Oil: Elder, Mint, Musk, Sage, Vanilla, Pine, Sweetpea, Mugwort, Patchouli, Vervain, Cinnamon, Marjoram.
- Plant/Herb: Birch, Catnip, Blackberry, Coltsfoot, Foxglove, Thyme, Yarrow, Feverfew, Burdock, Pennyroyal, Plaintain, Briar, Verbena, Elder, Basil, Cedarwood, Sage, Dill, Clove and Mugwort.
- Tree/Wood: Birch, Elder, Almond, Hawthorn, Fig, Oak, Palm, Pine
- Animal: Gnomes, Dwarves, Fishes, Bee, Bull, Rabbit, Rat, Alligator, Turtle, Grasshopper, Bison, Frog.
- Stones/Minerals: Emerald, Peridot, Jade, Malachite, Coral, Green Tourmaline, Aventurine,Green Quartz, Gold, Silver, Rock Crystal, Onyx, Azurite.
- Tarot Cards: Emperor, Sevens
- Gods: Agathadaimon, Bonus, Daikoku, Eventus, Buddha, Diakoku, Gansea, Inari, Jambhala, Jupiter, Pluto, Tamon
- Goddess: Anna Koun, Anna Perenna, Benten, Brighid, Buddhi, Carna, Chala, Felicitas, Fortuna, janus, Kichijo-Ten, Lakshmi, Ops,The Muses, Vasudhara, Syn
- Personality: Extroverted, happy, optimistic, status, possessive, direct
- Magickal Purpose: Absorption, this is why it is used for funerals. Quiet power, self-control, restriction, depression sickness, but new changes, rebirth. Wisdom, Control, Resilience, Discipline. Used to honor the Queen of the Witches, or the dark crone aspect of the goddess.
- Magickal Uses: Banishing negative thoughts and situations, reversing, uncrossing, binding negative forces, releasing, removing confusion, contact with spirits, dark magick, defensive spells (can be used with RED to increase intent).
The color black has a bad reputation and is often associated with evil workings, but the pure color can also be used for concentration, solitude, and deep meditation. The void of all colors, black has the ability to absorb, soak up, internalize, to receive without recoil. Use the color black in rituals to induce a deep meditative state, or to banish evil or negativity as in uncrossing rituals; attracts Saturn energy and is sacred to the goddess Hekate. This is the color of the clergy, and witches use it to cloak themselves and to safeguard their mysteries.
Here are the magickal correspondences for the color black:
- Element: Air, water, fire, earth
- Direction: East, west
- Planet: Saturn
- Day: Saturday
- Number: 6
- Magickal Tools: Sword, Wand
- Scent/Essential Oil: Holly, Juniper, Yew,Myrrh, Cypress, Pine, Apple, Yarrrow,Rowan, Vervain, Peppermint, Basil.
- Plant/Herb: Oak, Yew, Beech, Elm,Comfrey, Holly, Ivy, Horsetail, Reeds,Solomons Seal, Mullein, Cedar, Clove,Cypress, Rue, Betony, Elder, Fern, Yarrow,Cayenne, Dragons Blood, Mandrake, Flax.
- Tree/Wood: Oak, Ash, Aspen, Birch, Hazel,Rowan
- Animal: Bobcat, Dragon, Panther, Raccoon, Rhinoceros, Groundhog, Blackbird, Lynx, Bat, Owl, Jaguar, Praying Mantis.
- Feather: Hidden secrets, changes.
- Minerals/Stones: Onyx, Jet, Obsidian, Black Quartz, Black Star Sapphire, Agate,Tektite, Pyrite, Diamond, Moonstone,Galena, Pumice.
- Tarot Cards: Death, Threes and the Queens
- God: Achilles, Amathaon, Atlas, Cernunnos, Ea, Eterna, Janus, Terminus, Odin, Thoth, Untunktahe
- Goddess: Aradia, Ayizan, Carna, Cerridwen, Circa, Dakinis, Demeter, Diana, Gulleig, Habondia, Hecate, Herodias, Hlle, Kwan Yin, Lilith, Mari, Rangda, Syn
- Personality: Someone who often dwells in his own dark recesses. A loner, but through choice. A strong silent type but someone you don’t want to deal with if crossed. A night person as the darkness seems to be their safe place, their solace and quiet space. The things that make the “black” person unique, has also the tendency to dwell on things and has more bouts of depression than most others. This person tends to keep a lot of secrets.