- Magickal Purpose: Absorption, this is why it is used for funerals. Quiet power, self-control, restriction, depression sickness, but new changes, rebirth. Wisdom, Control, Resilience, Discipline. Used to honor the Queen of the Witches, or the dark crone aspect of the goddess.
- Magickal Uses: Banishing negative thoughts and situations, reversing, uncrossing, binding negative forces, releasing, removing confusion, contact with spirits, dark magick, defensive spells (can be used with RED to increase intent).
The color black has a bad reputation and is often associated with evil workings, but the pure color can also be used for concentration, solitude, and deep meditation. The void of all colors, black has the ability to absorb, soak up, internalize, to receive without recoil. Use the color black in rituals to induce a deep meditative state, or to banish evil or negativity as in uncrossing rituals; attracts Saturn energy and is sacred to the goddess Hekate. This is the color of the clergy, and witches use it to cloak themselves and to safeguard their mysteries.
Here are the magickal correspondences for the color black:
- Element: Air, water, fire, earth
- Direction: East, west
- Planet: Saturn
- Day: Saturday
- Number: 6
- Magickal Tools: Sword, Wand
- Scent/Essential Oil: Holly, Juniper, Yew,Myrrh, Cypress, Pine, Apple, Yarrrow,Rowan, Vervain, Peppermint, Basil.
- Plant/Herb: Oak, Yew, Beech, Elm,Comfrey, Holly, Ivy, Horsetail, Reeds,Solomons Seal, Mullein, Cedar, Clove,Cypress, Rue, Betony, Elder, Fern, Yarrow,Cayenne, Dragons Blood, Mandrake, Flax.
- Tree/Wood: Oak, Ash, Aspen, Birch, Hazel,Rowan
- Animal: Bobcat, Dragon, Panther, Raccoon, Rhinoceros, Groundhog, Blackbird, Lynx, Bat, Owl, Jaguar, Praying Mantis.
- Feather: Hidden secrets, changes.
- Minerals/Stones: Onyx, Jet, Obsidian, Black Quartz, Black Star Sapphire, Agate,Tektite, Pyrite, Diamond, Moonstone,Galena, Pumice.
- Tarot Cards: Death, Threes and the Queens
- God: Achilles, Amathaon, Atlas, Cernunnos, Ea, Eterna, Janus, Terminus, Odin, Thoth, Untunktahe
- Goddess: Aradia, Ayizan, Carna, Cerridwen, Circa, Dakinis, Demeter, Diana, Gulleig, Habondia, Hecate, Herodias, Hlle, Kwan Yin, Lilith, Mari, Rangda, Syn
- Personality: Someone who often dwells in his own dark recesses. A loner, but through choice. A strong silent type but someone you don’t want to deal with if crossed. A night person as the darkness seems to be their safe place, their solace and quiet space. The things that make the “black” person unique, has also the tendency to dwell on things and has more bouts of depression than most others. This person tends to keep a lot of secrets.