- Keywords: Courage, leadership, manifestation, vitality, self empowerment
- Chakras: Sacral, solar plexus
- Element: Fire
- Zodiac Signs: Leo, Libra
- Number: 1
- Affirmation: I am continually inspired by my inner visions, and delight in taking action to make them real.
With the radiance of the sun and the fire of the solar ray, Sunstone carries the energy of Ra, the sun god, whose energy brings all potential life from within the Earth. It is a Stone of Leadership – of personal power, freedom, and expanded consciousness. Truly reflecting the qualities of Light, it brings openness, benevolence and warmth, strength, mental clarity, and the willingness and ability to bestow blessings upon others.
Known as a joyful stone, Sunstone inspires the nurturing of self in order to be of service to others. It restores the enjoyment of life, good nature and provides a sense of abundance.
Sunstone is a member of the Feldspar family, and is named for its warm shades of gold, orange, reds and browns that sparkle like the sun. Inclusions of Goethite or Hematite refract light between the different crystal layers and produce an iridescent effect as the stone is viewed from various angles. Sunstone may be clear and transparent, or opaque, and is readily available on the market. Clean red specimens, however, are rare.
First discovered in Norway, the Sunstone crystal is linked with ancient Norse texts that reference the Vikings using it to navigate the seas. Thanks to tiny particles of Hematite, Sunstone gets it distinctive shimmer from light-reflecting properties, which these famous seafarers used to catch rays of light from the sun, the undisputed GPS of Mother Nature.
Powered by the radiance of the sun and the strength of its fire, Sunstone brings power and energy from within the earth and straight into your life. It will help bring the wisdom of your heart in alignment with the inspiration of your mind, and it will be beautiful and wonderful!
Sunstone is known to attract the powers of the sun, and it will cleanse your chakras from anything that’s not good for you. It will surround you with love and positive energies that you cannot help but be a source of happiness for everyone around you.
It’s a protection stone, an energizer stone, and a good luck stone in one. It’s a stone that will make you ready for the challenges of life and strengthen your belief that life is truly worth living.
Wearing Sunstone and carrying it around with you will definitely feel like you have the sun right on your shoulder!
Magickal and Metaphysical Uses:
You will never run out of reasons to love this stone because it’s ripe with wonderful and positive energies. Sunstone is all about freedom, self-empowerment, and independence, and this stone can truly be your best companion stone!
It will make you appreciate the fact that you can make decisions about your life, that you are free to do whatever you want, and that you can love the people that you want to love.
When placed with a white candle, Sunstone can help spread protective energies throughout your home or office.
Sunstone will remind you that you are doing a good job building a life for yourself. This stone will encourage you to keep working hard to achieve your dreams. It’s a stone of leadership that will showcase your abilities, strength of mind, and expanded consciousness.
Sunstone is an abundance stone. It encourages independence and originality, is inspirational in revealing talents, and attracts fame and unexpected prosperity. It is an excellent “good luck” crystal for competitions.
- The Divinatory meaning of Sunstone: Enjoy the present without worrying if the good times will last.
Wear Sunstone to feel alive and enthusiastic. It increases vitality and is beneficial in starting, and maintaining, a fitness program or aerobic activity, and for occupations requiring high energy throughout the day.
As a workplace crystal, Sunstone increases your profile and brings opportunities for leadership and promotion. Place next to your computer when advertising your own business or services online.
Sunstone provides a source of strength if you are dependent on others emotionally, or have suffered the sudden loss of a partner. It helps alleviate fearfulness and stress, and protects against those who drain your energies or finances. It is also an excellent crystal for phobia sufferers to ease fear of the dark, enclosed places, or the presence of other triggers.
Worn as a ring on the receptive hand, Sunstone helps one receive what is needed and desired. On the transmitting hand, it channels multiple healings and blessings to others. Worn as a pendant, Sunstone brings the heart’s wisdom into alignment with the mind’s inspirations.
As an amulet of protection, Sunstone is a powerful Barrier Filter. Barrier crystals have incredible abilities to help us focus and amplify our efforts to keep undesirable elements out of our lives. Its crystalline structure gives it strength in all directions, allowing it to provide barriers to attack from all directions simultaneously.
Crystals with the earth power of a Filter, absorb positive energy flow but work to keep negative energy away from us. They help us view the world in a “glass half full” outlook, to see the best in others, the beauty in life, and the good in humanity. They keep us focused on the positive in situations and to not be overwhelmed by the negative. In our technological world, Filters also work to keep harmful electromagnetic transmissions from sapping our energy and health.
It will show the world that you are more than people think you are, and they will be pleasantly surprised at all the great things that you can do.
Sunstone is a joyful stone because it reflects the qualities of light. It invites you to be open, warm, and kind. It will bring about a willingness to give joy and happiness to others.
Sunstone carries with it energies of originality and inspiration. If you ever feel stuck or unproductive, and if you ever feel like you are not able to churn out new and effective ideas, just hold this stone in your hands. It will feel like a switch has been turned on and ideas will just naturally flow.
It will encourage you to reveal your hidden talents. It will heighten your sensuality and give romance a surge of freshness. It will bring you luck in all aspects of your life and energize all your chakras. It will give you stability and mental clarity.
Sunstone will give you an extra boost of energy when you’re feeling stressed or under the weather. It’s a natural anti-depressant, so it will also keep sad thoughts and emotions away.
It will instill good nature in you. Sunstone energy will allow the real you to shine through, and people will love you for it. No matter how weird or different you think you are.
It will fill your life with enthusiasm, optimism, and encouragement. Its energies will make you feel glad to be alive, and you will be filled with energy and cheer.
Having Sunstone with you can be particularly useful when you’re working on a project that will run for months, or when you’re on a fitness program that requires commitment. It will strengthen your resolve and your commitment, and it will make sure that you’re in it from start to finish.
Sunstone will heighten your intuition and strengthen your instincts. They will be right most of the time, too. Sunstone will dispel irrational fears that are preventing you from achieving your dreams or having the love that you desire. It will increase your self-confidence and self-esteem.
This is a particularly good stone to have for people who find it hard to say no.
This stone also has self-healing powers that will benefit you in a physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual way.
Sunstone For Healing
- Physical Healing Energy
Sunstone warms the body, increasing metabolism, digestion, and vitality. It stimulates self-healing powers, regulating and harmonizing all of the organs.
Sunstone is used to treat chronic sore throats, and to reduce stomach tension and ulcers. Placed on the Solar Plexus, it is excellent for lifting depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder, and is helpful in chasing away nightmares.
Since ancient times, Sunstone has been used as a grid around the body to relieve cartilage problems, rheumatism, and general aches and pains. Today it is also used to treat osteoarthritis, cramps, fever, various infections, and athletic injury.
Sitting in the sun surrounded by a circle of Sunstones was an ancient remedy for rheumatism. Physical contact with a large specimen also relieved aching feet and spinal problems.
- Emotional Healing Energy
Sunstone is highly effective in cleansing the aura and chakras, and for removing hooks from possessive loved ones, lovers, or anyone draining of your energies. Sunstone surrounds these hooks with love and positive energy, and returns them to the source. It is especially beneficial when ties need to be cut, or if you have difficulty saying “No.” It helps remove co-dependency, overcomes procrastination, and encourages self-empowerment and independence.
Those who hold back because of fears and self-doubt may find Sunstone melts away the sense of unworthiness, feelings of being discriminated against, disadvantaged or abandoned. It emanates a rich and positive spectrum of energies that re-balances one’s emotional patterns, and encourages optimism and enthusiasm. It can help transform anger into energy and judgment into joy.
“I am proud of who I am,” is the affirmation of Sunstone, a crystal known to help us find our joy, harmony and happiness after a dark time. Its properties of vitality and empowerment are particularly beneficial for those under the signs of Leo and Libra, both of whom rely on their good humor and ability to find joy in life. Sunstone’s primary chakra is the Root Chakra, connected to our basic needs and establishing our foundation.
- Chakra Balancing
With its powers of the sun and light, Sunstone clears and cleanses all the chakras, restoring joy and nurturing the spirit. It is particularly energizing to the Base and Sacral Chakras, stimulating leadership and will, creativity and sexuality.
The red and brown shades of Sunstone activate the Base, or Root Chakra, located at the base of the spine that controls the energy for kinesthetic feeling and movement. It is the foundation of physical and spiritual energy for the body. When physically out of balance the symptoms will manifest themselves as lethargy, low levels of activity, low enthusiasm, and a need for constant stimulation. When its spiritual energies are out of balance, you will feel flighty, disconnected from reality, and distant.
When the Base Chakra is in balance, the physical body regains its strength and stamina, and the spiritual energy is rekindled in the form of security and sense of one’s own power. It often leads to independence and spontaneous leadership.
The gold and orange shades of Sunstone identify with the Sacral Chakra, or Second Chakra, located below the naval and above the pubic bone at the front of the pelvis. It controls the flow of energy and is the center of gravity of the body. It is the center of the Life Force of the body, and controls the flow of information from the body to the mind and from the mind to the body. Gut feelings, intuition, and other “non-linear” communication comes from this chakra.
When it is out of balance the symptoms will manifest themselves as confusion, over dependency on others, repression of feelings, inability to feel joy, fear of sensuality or sex, and frustration. When it is in balance you have grace, feel pleasure in life, find you are flexible and can “go with the flow” and do so in good spirit.
- Spiritual Energy
Sunstone relates to people of faith – missionaries and others who give themselves in service to the world. It encourages us to act with grace, and aids in active, joyous meditation.
Sunstone carries yang energy, and balances with the yin of Moonstone. Worn together, these stones integrate god and goddess powers, assertive and outward success and inner harmony within your life.
Sunstone And The Goddess
Sunstone honors Cerridwen, the Welsh Goddess of Inspiration and Knowledge. She rules the gifts of prophecy and magic, and powers death and rebirth. She is the guardian of spiritual transformation.
Sunstone may also be used to honor Sekhmet, the Egyptian Goddess of War. She is the most powerful goddess of Lower Egypt, and is usually depicted with the head of a lion and the body of a beautiful woman.
How to Cleanse Sunstone?
If you own a Sunstone and use it all the time, it will need to be cleared and cleansed regularly. The clearing process is necessary before using any stone for healing, because the clearer the energy of a healing stone is, the more powerful it is.
Your Sunstone needs to be cleansed as soon as you buy them and after every use. A ready and clean Sunstone feels positive, bright, tingly, and cold to the touch.
You will know when your Sunstone needs cleansing when it starts to feel hot, heavy, or drained. There are many ways to effectively cleanse your Sunstone.
- Sea Salt
Sea salt gets rid of any kind of negativity and is a very effective disinfectant of both physical and psychic disruptions.
Use sea salt every time your Sunstone is overloaded with negative energy. Just a tablespoon of sea salt and a glass of cold water are all you need. Let your Sunstone soak overnight.
To use dry salt, place some in a non-plastic container and leave the Sunstones there overnight with the points downwards.
Sometimes a Sunstone may take longer to clear, especially if it has been used in a deep, intense healing. If this is the case, leave it another day or two in the sea salt.
If you live near the ocean, you can bring home some salt water in a jar or wash the Sunstone directly in the ocean water.
Moonlight is another method of cleansing your Sunstone. Simply place it outside on a full moon or a new moon. Waning moons are good times to cleanse your Sunstone and dispel old energies, but anytime really works.
It is suggested to hang your Sunstone jewelry in a tree where the moonlight can cleanse them.
Try to avoid placing them under the direct heat of the sun because their colors may fade, or they may break or crack.
- Burying It
Burying your Sunstone in a cupful of dried herbs like sandalwood, myrrh, frankincense, sage, and rose petals will also clear them.
This is a gentle and pleasant way to cleanse crystals, but it does take longer than the sea salt method.
Crystals may also be buried into the earth. This is especially helpful when you feel that your Sunstone needs deep cleansing.
Just head outside and dig a hole the same size of your Sunstone, placing it point down and covering it with the soil. If you live in an apartment, you can use a flower pot to bury your Sunstones in.
Another quick way to cleanse Sunstones is to smudge them with burning cedar or sage.
Smudging is an excellent way to make sure your Sunstones are purified. This can be achieved by letting your Sunstone pass through the smoke of the burning cedar or sage stick.
Finally, you can also cleanse your Sunstone by running them under cool tap water. The points should always be facing downwards to let the negative energies flow out and down the drain.
During this process, visualize the Sunstone as sparkly, tingly, cold, and belonging to just you!
Sunstone is not associated with any zodiac sign; however, it will bring out the sensuality of Virgos, and will temper the sexuality and possessiveness of Aries. Sunstone is most often associated with the Sun.
Sunstone which is gold in color is the natural birthstone of those born in the magical month of midsummer (July 22 – Aug 21). Gold crystals bring you success, enthusiasm, happiness, and power.
Sunstone which is orange in color is the true birthstone of those born at the end of summer (Aug 22 – Sep 22). Orange crystals bring you joy, friendship, pleasure, and family togetherness.
Sunstone which is scarlet in color is one of the natural birthstones of those born in the first month of autumn (Sep 23 – Oct 21). Scarlet crystals bring you strength, vitality, willpower, and dedication.
Sunstone which is red in color is the natural birthstone of those born in mid-autumn (Oct 22 – Nov 20). Red crystals bring you energy, courage, passion, and love.
Sunstones and Color
Gold energy in Sunstone brings success, enthusiasm, happiness, and power. It is traditionally the color of kings, riches, and the sun ~ Gold ~ touches a deep part of our minds, conjuring up images of mystical places and adventure.
- Light Gold crystals provide us with the simple pleasures of life, cheerfulness and contentment.
- Dark Gold crystals have a deeper, more pronounced sense of devotion and commitment, providing us with a mature enthusiasm and ability to share a lifelong commitment of care and love.
The energy of Orange in Sunstone brings joy and friendship, pleasure, and family togetherness. It is a happy and sharing stone, integrating the parts of our communal lives, bringing things and people together. It is a stone of physical pleasure and intimacy.
- Lighter Orange Sunstone promotes companionship and affection.
- Darker Orange crystals deepen the sense of belonging and home.
Sunstone contains Scarlet energy, combining the energy of the pure red ray with the exuberance and joy of the orange. It reflects the color of strength and vitality, both physical and spiritual. Scarlet crystals are amulets of protection from physical harm. They help overcome fear and improve self-reliance, and are the crystals of victory, success, and skill.Â Lighter shades of scarlet, the lightly tinted red-oranges, are excellent talismans of dedication in young relationships. Dark Scarlet crystals are the key to the physical pleasures of maturity – in love, in life, and in relationships.
Red Sunstone brings a self-confidence built on fearlessness. It reflects the color of passion, energy, and life. It motivates. It is a very strong color – the color of fire and blood.
- Dark Red crystals embody strong, deep feelings, durable energy and quiet passion. It is a masculine color, particularly useful for increasing devotion and seeing the seriousness of life.
Sunstone Lore and Legend
The Ancients believed Sunstone once formed part of the sun and fell to earth during a full solar eclipse.
In Oriental cultures Sunstone was known as a “phenomenal gem” to be worn on Sundays. Phenomenal gems exhibited a moving line, star, or changes on the surface as the light varied, and was considered to bring good fortune to the wearer.
In ancient Greece, Sunstone represented the sun god, bringing life and abundance to all fortunate enough to possess it. It was used often in the ornamentation of goblets and plates, and was believed to counteract poison and produce strength.
In ancient India, Sunstone was revered as protection from the destructive forces of other realms.
Sunstone was used by the Canadian Indians in rituals of the medicine wheel to show spirit guides the connection with the golden white healing light of the sun. During those ceremonies Sunstone was placed in the center of the medicine wheel, and it has been reported that during contact with the spirit guides, the stone emitted a golden glow.
Sunstone Feng Shui
Sunstone utilizes Fire energy. Fire energy is the energy of enthusiasm, warmth, brightness, illumination and activity. It is Yang in nature. It is the energy of heat, action, emotion and passion – of ideas, of concepts, and sex. It is traditionally associated with the south area of a home or room, and with the fame and reputation area of your dwelling.
Use its energy to give your life the boost it needs to enhance your standing in the community and within your family. Red and scarlet crystals should be used sparingly, to bring the sun’s power and the fire element’s energy to your space. Use orange crystals as an accent and as an accessory in rooms where high energy is needed.
Meditation with Sunstone
Sunstone is an alchemical stone bringing a profound connection to light and the regenerative power of the sun during meditation and in everyday life. Meditating with Sunstone on the Third Eye will enable one to see the highest path of action in any situation.
Sunstone meditation can help you feel the powers of the sun and light. With sunstone’s light, it can help clear and energize your chakras.
- A Simple Sunstone Meditation
Hold a sunstone in each hand, palms open. Close your eyes and breathe complete breaths. Breathe in and out, slowing your breath.
Imagine that you are a bright light, and that your hands, arms, head, and neck glow with the brightness of this light. Envision the light expanding and covering everything abundantly. Feel the warmth of your skin as it glows and spreads the light. Feel the warmness of the light as it heals your mind, body, and spirit.
Sunstone and the Angelic Realm
If your birthday falls in any of the following periods, a Sunstone of the color listed can be a valuable conduit to your Guardian Angel. The list below provides the name of the Guardian Angel of those born in the specified time period.
It is listed as follows: Date of Birth ~ Crystal Color ~ Name of Guardian Angel
- Apr 5-9 ~ Orange ~ Elemiah
- Aug 2-6 ~ Orange ~ Terathel
- Sep 13-17 ~ Orange ~ Chavakiah
- Sep 29-Oct 3 ~ Scarlet ~ Haamiah
- Oct 14-18 ~ Light Orange ~ Hahahel (Hahael)
- Oct 19-23 ~ Red ~ Mikael
- Nov 13-17 ~ Dark Red ~ Asaliah
- Nov 18-22 ~ Light Orange ~ Mihael
- Nov 28-Dec 2 ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Daniel
- Dec 8-12 ~ Dark Red ~ Imamiah
- Dec 22-26 ~ Dark Orange ~ Mebahiah
- Jan 6-10 ~ Orange ~ Ieilael (Ieliel)
- Jan 11-15 ~ Light Scarlet ~ Harahel
- Jan 21-25 ~ Orange ~ Umabel (Umbael)
- Jan 26-30 ~ Light Scarlet ~ Iahhel
- Jan 31-Feb 4 ~ Light Scarlet ~ Anauel
- Mar 16-20 ~ Dark Red ~ Mumiah (Mumijah)
There are other Angels that are partial to Sunstone. The list below gives you the information about them.
- Guardian of the Fourteenth Mansion of the Moon ~ Virgo ~ Dark Gold ~ Ergediel
- Dealing with Agriculture and Animals ~ Dark Gold ~ Risnuch
- Ruler of Earth/Wind ~ Dark Gold ~ Ruchiel
- Severity Angel; Tree of Life, Guardian of Tuesday, Ruler of Mars ~ Dark Gold ~ Samael
- Guardian of the 24th Mansion of the Moon which is Aquarius ~ Dark Orange ~ Abrinael
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Sept.13-17 ~ Virgo. ~ Dark Orange ~ Chavakiah
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Dec 22-26 ~ Capricorn. ~ Dark Orange ~ Mebahiah
- Guardian of the 11th Mansion of the Moon which is Leo ~ Dark Orange ~ Neciel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Aug 13-17 ~ Leo ~ Dark Orange ~ Reiel
- Ruler of Saturn ~ Dark Orange ~ Sabathiel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Nov 13-17 ~ Scorpio ~ Dark Red ~ Asaliah
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Dec 8-12 ~ Sagittarius ~ Dark Red ~ Imamiah
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Mar 16-20 ~ Pisces ~ Dark Red ~ Mumiah
- Angel of Fertility ~ Dark Red ~ Samandiriel
- Master of the 11th Tarot Card “Justice” ~ Dark Red ~ Zuriel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Nov 28-Dec 2 ~ Sagittarius ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Daniel
- Master of the Tarot Card “The Sun” ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Nakiel
- Angel of Hope ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Phanuel
- Ruler of Earth/Earthquakes ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Ra’ashiel
- Angel of Pride, and the Sea ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Rahab
- Angel of Purity ~ Dark Scarlet ~ Tahariel
- Guardian of the Nineteenth Mansion of the Moon which is Scorpio ~ Gold ~ Amutiel
- Foundation Angel and known as the Tree of Life. The Angel of Monday ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- Ruler of the Moon, Earth, and Lighting ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- Master of the Tarot Cards “The High Priestess” and “The Hanged Man” ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- Angel of Pregnancies/Child Birth ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- Angel of the North Wind, Creativity, and Truth ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- The sun sign Aquarius ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- Guardian Fifth Mansion of the Moon; Taurus ~ Gold ~ Gabriel
- Master of the Tarot Card “The High Priestess” ~ Gold ~ Schelachel
- Master of the Tarot Card “The World” ~ Gold ~ Uriel
- Heals Resentment and is the Ruler of the South Wind ~ Gold ~ Uriel
- Angel of Music and Repentance ~ Gold ~ Uriel
- The sun sign, Libra ~ Gold ~ Uriel
- Master of Tarot Card “The Fool” ~ Light Gold ~ Chassan
- Angel of the Mountains ~ Light Gold ~ Rampel
- Guardian of the Ninth Mansion of the Moon ~ Cancer–Leo ~ Light Orange ~ Barbiel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Oct 14-18 ~ Libra ~ Light Orange ~ Hahahel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Nov 18-22 ~ Scorpio ~ Light Orange ~ Mihael
- Ruler of Earth/Moon ~ Light Orange ~ Ophanniel
- Ruler of Earth/Constellations/Stars ~ Light Orange ~ Rahatiel
- Master of the Tarot Card “Temperance” ~ Light Orange ~ Saritaiel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Jan 31- Feb 4 ~ Aquarius ~ Light Scarlet ~ Anauel
- Angel of Dreams ~ Light Scarlet ~ Duma
- Master of the Tarot Card “The Hierophant” ~ Light Scarlet ~ Eraziel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Jan 11-15 ~ Capricorn ~ Light Scarlet ~ Harahel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Jan 26-30 ~ Aquarius ~ Light Scarlet ~ Iahhel
- Angel of Music ~ Light Scarlet ~ Israfel
- Ruler of Venus ~ Light Scarlet ~ Nogahel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Apr 5-9 ~ Aries ~ Orange ~ Elemiah
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Jan 6-10 ~ Capricorn ~ Orange ~ Ieilael
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Aug 2-6 ~ Leo ~ Orange ~ Terathel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Jan 21-25 ~ Aquarius ~ Orange ~ Umabel
- Master of the Tarot Card “The Tower” ~ Red ~ Graphiel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Oct 19-23 ~ Libra ~ Red ~ Mikael
- Guardian of the Tenth Mansion of the Moon ~ Leo ~ Scarlet ~ Ardifiel
- Protector and Ruler of the dates Sep.29-Oct 3 ~ Libra ~ Scarlet ~ Haamiah
- Ruler of Mars ~ Scarlet ~ Madimiel
- Deal With Fear ~ Scarlet ~ Yroul
- ALEXANDRITE is a rare and expensive gemstone, when worn it draws luck and good fortune.
- AMBER is the fossilized resin of ancient coniferous trees.It has been used for nearly every purpose in magic. Warm to the touch, it is thought to possess life. Lucky and protective.
- APACHE TEAR, a globule of translucent obsidian, is carried as a good-luck charm.
- AVENTURINE is an all-around luck stone.
- CHALCEDONY, an arrowhead carved of chalcedony is worn or carried for luck.
- CHRYSOPRASE is a lucky stone worn for eloquence, success in new undertakings, and to attract friends.
- COPPER is a lucky metal, perhaps because of its past solar attributions, and so can be used in combination with any luck-bringing gemstones.
- CROSS STONE, a form of andalusite is found in coarse crystals. When broken open or sliced, they display a symmetrical cross pattern of alternating dark and light colors. As with all stones exhibiting unusual shapes or patterns, it is carried for luck.
- L-SHAPED stones are thought to bring good fortune, perhaps because this form suggest the conjunction of the spiritual with the physical. They can be carried as good luck pieces or placed on the altar.
- LEPIDOLITE is a purplish type of mica rich in lithium. It is a beautiful yet fragile mineral, carried to attract good luck to it’s bearer.
- LODESTONE is carried in pairs — one to protect and the other to bring good luck.
- OPAL, due to its flashing colors and beautiful unique appearance, the opal is a luck-bringing stone. The modern idea that the opal is a stone of misfortune, sorrow, and bad luck is untrue and can be traced back to a reference in the novel, Anne of Gierstein by Sir Walter Scott.
- ORANGE stones have some of the fire of red but are gentler in their effects. Protective, they have often been seen as symbols of the Sun and are thought to be luck attracting.
- SARDONYX was at one time engraved with an eagle’s head, set in silver, platinum, or gold, and worn to bring good luck.
- TIN is carried as a good-luck piece and can be shaped into talismans to attract money.
- TURQUOISE like all blue stones, is lucky and is carried to attract good fortune.
This is a list of gemstones believed to bring luck:
- Agate – protection from bad luck
- Amazonite – luck in hopes and dreams
- Amber – promotes luck and success
- Amethyst – brings luck in making your dreams come true
- Aventurine – brings good luck in chance or gambling
- Black Tourmaline – increases luck, brings success in business and relationships
- Carnelian – brings luck in physical situations (Athletes)
- Chrysanthemum Stone – brings luck by unexpected opportunities
- Citrine – promotes luck in sales
- Emerald – brings luck in keeping your lover faithful
- Garnet – stimulates success in business
- Malachite – brings luck in business
- Moonstone – brings good fortune and success
- Quartz Crystal – brings luck to get through the day
- Red Jasper – reduces fear of dark and night to increase luck
- Sodalite – promotes clear mind for creative luck
- Tektite – good luck
- Tiger’s Eye – provides insight, good luck
- Tourmaline – doubles your luck in any situation
- Turquoise – brings good fortune, protects from negative energy, symbolizes wealth
- Ruler: Sun
- Type: Mineral
- Magickal form: Resin, gemstone, essential oil
While often considered a gemstone, the glowing, warm amber is not actually a stone, but a fossilized resin from ancient evergreen trees. The oldest amber discovered on Earth is about 320 million years old. Imagine the incredibly powerful energy this amber contains!
Before man knew where amber came from, there were many ingenious theories as to its origins. Lynx urine, said some; others believed that it was chunks of the rays of the Sun, set hard in the sea and then washed upon the shore.
Like jet, amber burns easily, and it was for this reason that in Germany it was called Bernstein, meaning “burn stone.” The scent given off by burning amber was believed to drive away evil spirits.
The most obvious quality of amber is its old, old, (very old!) energy. With it comes the accumulated wisdom of the earth and its natural kingdom. You can often see little insects trapped in the amber while it started as a tree resin; this gives the amber stone quite powerful magical properties.
Amber is used as prayer beads in Christian and Muslim practice, is also known as the ‘Witch’s Stone’ and is used in Wiccan practice. It is worn for general good luck, financial stability and toward off danger from witchcraft.
Amber beads are perceived as bolstering health, however, not just any amber beads will do. Amber beads carved into the shapes of genitals, whether very literally or just vaguely reminiscent, allegedly provide protection, especially regarding health. Wear or carry as needed.
Due to its strong connection to nature and the earth, Amber is a great stone for grounding our higher energies. Amber can add stability to your life.
- Amber is known to calm energies, attract love, inspire change and improve wisdom.
- Wear or carry amber for protection and success.
- A piece of amber that contains a beetle or fly trapped within its center is said to bring fame.
- It has been used as a symbol for the renewal of marriage vows and to assure promises.
- Amber has been said to bring good luck to warriors.
Amber is an Aura cleanser. It glitters like dew drops in the bright sun light. It assists in bringing our higher vibrations in order, dispersing negative energy and clears the surrounding environment. Amber is the stone, which brings about altruism and great wisdom.
Amber allows the body to heal itself by absorbing and transmuting negative energy into positive energy. It emits a sunny and bright soothing energy which helps to calm nerves and to enliven the disposition.
Amber has uplifting energies, and is especially helpful when you are felling weighed down with responsibilities, it is good for people with suicidal tendencies and those who easily get depressed. Helps you find humour and joy. Creates a balance between daily life and spiritual expansion.
Utilise Amber when you are feeling powerless or out of control, to remind you of your inner strength and past achievements. It brings balance and patience and encourages decision-making, promotes a positive mental state and creative self-expression. Its flexibility dissolves opposition.
Amber stimulates memory thus making it a good stone for studying. Amber is used for past life work, divination and scrying. It aligns mental and emotional bodies via its deep orange and yellow colour.
Amber is highly recommended for those who often have to meet challenging situations and at times frustrating atmosphere. It is good for those involved in political life and those wishing to have governmental patronage. Good for those interested in nobler types of deeds and social and humanitarian causes.
Amber is a powerful healer and cleanser that draws die-ease from the body and promotes tissue revitalization. It imbues the body with vitality and has the power to draw dis- ease out of the body. By absorbing pain and negative energy, Amber allows the body to balance and heal itself. Amber alleviates stress.
Add the resin to prosperity formulas and wear the oil for protection or to empower your magickal path. Men may wear amber essential oil to attract lovers.
It cleanses the environment in which it rests and is an excellent mineral for use in purifying birthing and re-birthing rooms. It also acts to purify ones body, mind, and spirit when worn, carried, or used as an elixir.
Amber should be cleansed after being used for healing to dispense the negative energy it has absorbed. It tends to become cloudy when used for treating negative energy. Cleanse this stone by running it under warm water or charge it over night in a bowl of tumbled hematite. Be careful as this stone will become brittle in sunlight if left out for a long period. It should be kept away from heat or sun.
Properties and Colors:
The color depends on source and impurities. A deep tawny yellow is the predominant color, but it also comes in blue, violet, brown or even black. Amber that is green is colored artificially. Yellow and brown are the most common colors, other colors are extremely rare.
Because amber was once a liquid, sometimes small insects or bits of organic matter can be seen embedded within it.
The fossilized resin ranges from transparent to opaque. Transparency depends on gas bubbles. It is a lighter gem stone and softer than pearl. It becomes electrically charged when rubbed; indeed, the word “electric” comes from the Latin word electrum, which means amber.
Uses in History:
Amber has a rich history and has been used since prehistoric times for jewelry, religious objects, healing, also as amulets and mascots. The Baltic amber, the “gold of the North” is among the earliest-used gem materials.
Amber has a long history of being used in sacred incense and worn as a healing stone by Asian and American Indian cultures for centuries. This organic gem can date between 1 and 360 million years. Archaeologists have found amber artifacts dating back to such cultures as Assyrian, Egyptian, Phoenician and the Greek and Roman periods. It is known by the Persians as the “attractor of straw”, by the Greeks as “sun gold” and derived from the Arab name “al-anbar”.
The Greeks believed that amber was the petrification of sunrays; some even felt that it was petrified tears. They prized amber for the magical properties that electricity exhibited when rubbed. The term electricity is derived from the Greek word, elektron, which is also the Greek word for amber.
In the Far East, amber is the symbol of courage; Amber was considered the “soul of the tiger” in Asian cultures and regarded as the stone of courage. Pieces of amber were carried for protection during long travels, as well as used to treat jaundice.
Egyptians placed a piece of amber in the casket of a loved one to ensure the body would forever remain whole.
It is a sacred stone to both the Native American and Eastern Indians. It has also been used in the fire ceremonies of ancient tribal leaders. It was burned, beginning in medieval days, as a fumigant and as an incense to clear the environment of negativity.
In ancient times it was used as a penicillin-type remedy, ground and ingested or soaked (as in an elixir) and subsequently drunk.
Uses In Healing:
Amber will help relieve a tension headache, place on or around the head. It is excellent at detoxification and protection from radiation, especially x-rays, sun, computers, airport, planes and other people’s energies.
Make an elixir with this stone for wound healing and to apply to all pain issues. It is an excellent natural antibiotic.
Wear amber around your throat to heal asthma and prevent attacks. Minimize and ward off chills by wearing tightly beaded amber necklaces. Amber is believed to absorb body heat and retain it, thus magickally creating a balancing effect.
When used at the solar plexus, Amber will enhance intellectual clarity about your future path. It can stimulate the navel chakra and help in grounding energies into the body.
Amber as jewelry, it can be grounding and stabilizing. Wear for prolonged periods, especially on the wrist or throat, or place as appropriate. If treating babies or children, it is beneficial for the mother to wear the stone first.
It resonates with the throat, treating goiters and other throat problems. It treats the stomach, spleen, kidneys, bladder, liver, and gallbladder, alleviates joint problems and strengthens the mucus membranes. Amber is known to stimulate metabolism and treat skin disorders. It is also a good stone for treating asthma and allergic reactions.
Amber is used in the Center/Health position to encourage good health and create balance and calm. Use it in the Northeast area for self cultivation and wisdom, in the Southwest area for partners, love and relationships (use in pairs) and for dispersing negative energy in any room. Use it in any room to also attract change into your space.
Amber is thought to be the tears of the Goddess Freya that fell into the sea. It is used to honor her. Additionally amber is used in devotions to Elektra, Greek Goddess of the Sea, Jurate, the Lithuanian Goddess of the Sea, Nehalennia, the Gaulish Goddess of Sea Travelers, Oshun, the African Goddess of Love, Intimacy, Beauty, and Diplomacy, and Amberella, the Lithuanian Goddess of the Oceans.
Honor the Goddess Electra with amber. We get our beautiful amber from the sea. Interestingly, when you rub amber with a soft cloth you will produce static electricity – honoring Electra as you do. Wear an amber necklace or pendant when you are feeling a bit “stormy.” Use it when you need to make things better but you have to use a bit of force to get the job done. Electra will help you.
Latin Name: esmaralda/esmaraldus
Magickal form: Raw, polished
Birth stone of: May, Taurus, and the Vine Moon
Magickal Properties: Wealth, Pleasure, Successful Love, Memory
This precious gemstone draws love and admiration. The color of life and nature, the emerald represents all that we hold dear, deep affection, caring souls and life’s pursuits for a fuller, richer future.
It is the birthstone of Taurus and as such, attracts sensual pleasure and wealth. It is also the stone of the Vine Moon in Celtic astrology (Sept 2 thru Sept 29).
The emerald is known as a “stone of successful love”. It is said to provide for domestic bliss and to instill both sensitivity and loyalty within the self and within others.
It can be used to enhance the memory and to stimulate the use of greater mental capacity. The emerald helps to combine intelligence with discernment, allowing for the choice of “right” action to be the only choice available.
Emeralds can be used to open, to activate, and to stimulate the heart chakra, while helping to quiet the emotions. It is a stone to bring harmony to all areas of ones life.
It can also assist in inciting one to activity and to facilitate intensity and focus in ones actions. It can be used to eliminate negativity from ones life and to bring forth the positive actions required to assist one in remaining centered in the practicality of ones lifework.
It can help to bring awareness of the unknown to conscious recognition, helping one to access the laws of order within the universe and to eliminate from ones life that which impedes progress.
It can help one to maintain the rhythmic breathing conducive to entering and to attaining depth in the meditative state. After the meditative state, it helps one to maintain the cool brilliance of the deliberate reflection and to emit the radiance of the light.
It is also said to bring beneficial consequences in matters involving legal affairs.
From: Love is in the Earth