This is a quick listing of a number of different colors and their commonly accepted meanings and uses in magick. See also this article about Using Color in Magick.
- Black: The meaning of the color black is mystery and protection. It is the color of the clergy, and witches use it to cloak themselves and safeguard their mysteries.
- White: White is a holy color, and it symbolizes purity, innocence, wholeness and completion.
- Gray: The color gray is an unemotional color. It is detached, neutral, impartial and indecisive – the fence-sitter. Gray is reserved, quiet and conservative. It has a steadying effect on other colors around it.
- Gold: Gold is the color of kings, gold symbolizes wealth, success, achievement and triumph and status. It is related to the sun.
- Silver: Silver increases psychic vibrations. It has a feminine energy; and is related to the moon and the ebb and flow of the tides – it is fluid, emotional, sensitive, mysterious, soothing, calming and purifying.
- Magenta: Magenta is a color of universal harmony and emotional balance. It is spiritual yet practical, encouraging common sense and a balanced outlook on life. It helps to release old and outdated patterns of behavior to inspire growth and personal development.
- Pink: The color pink has a calming effect on the environment, and represents compassion, nurturing and love. It relates to unconditional love and understanding, and the giving and receiving of nurturing.
- Turquoise: The meaning of the color turquoise is open communication and clarity of thought.
- Purple: This is the color of power, influence, prophecy, and wisdom. The color purple also relates to the imagination and spirituality. It stimulates the imagination and inspires high ideals.
- Indigo: The color indigo is the color of intuition, perception, and the higher mind, and is helpful in opening the third eye. This deep dark blue color represents knowledge, power, integrity, and seriousness.
- Blue: Sensitivity, intellect, protection, calmness, benevolence, and wisdom are all invoked through the color blue. This is the color of trust and responsibility. It is the color of the sky and of water, and so it also brings distance and a wider point of view.
- Green: Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety and has great healing power. The most restful color for human eyes, Green is the color of balance, harmony and growth.
- Yellow: The color yellow is the color of happiness and success, it stimulates the mind, the intellect, and creative thinking. Yellow produces a warming effect, arouses cheerfulness, stimulates mental activity, and generates muscle energy.
- Orange: Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation. It is the color of adventure and social communication. Orange offers emotional strength in difficult times.
- Red: Red is a primal color of lust, passion, and deep abiding love. It is the color of blood and bonding. It means energy, passion and action. It is a warm and positive color associated with our most physical needs and our will to survive.
Note: This post was compiled by Shirley Twofeathers using information from a variety of sources. You may repost and share it only if you give credit and a link back. Blessed be.
“Magic is only unexplained science. Science is explained magic. When I study science, I study magic. When I study magic, I study science.” ― C. JoyBell C.