This isn’t really “magick” in the strictest sense of the word but if you don’t have a Compass to know which direction is North so you can set up your altar, here’s how to make one:
You will need
- A glass or bowl of water
- A magnet
- A steel needle
- A small torn square of paper (torn is best)
Rub the needle tip on the magnet for a few minutes. Test it by seeing if it sticks to something else that’s metal. When the needle has magnetized, set it aside. Lightly and gently lay the little square of paper in the middle of the water. Ever so gently set the needle on the paper, positioning the needle centered on the paper. Gently, move the needle and paper, which should be floating, around in a circle.
Stop and see what direction the needle tip points. Do this a few more times. If the needle point always points back to the same place ~ that’s North!!! If you think you might forget, place something special on the North corner/side of the room so you will remember. It might be a good place to position your Magical Storage Cabinet. Better yet set up your permanent Altar on your East wall. By the way, when facing North, East is on your Right!!
From: Elemental Magick
- Magickal Purpose: Gain strength and become more connected to the earth.
- Magickal Uses: Centering, grounding, building, study, house and home, the accumulation of money and material things, healing plants and animals, finding lost items, gardening and decision-making.
The color brown is used in magick to gain strength and become more connected to the earth. Brown autumn leaves placed upon an altar will enable greater endurance and protection during the winter months. Burning brown candles normally separates individuals, but in Pennsylvania hex magick, the color is used to promote serious relationships between men and women. It is the color of deep abiding and committed love.
Brown is a female color. It is the color of the Earth’s energy, grounding, exercise, organization, solidity, the soil, practicality, solitude and honesty. Brown combines the prosperity of green with the intellect of yellow. Brown is used in magick primarily for centering, grounding, building, study, house and home, the accumulation of money and material things, healing plants and animals, finding lost items, gardening and decision-making.
The color brown is indicated for rituals of material increase, justice and retribution. This color eliminates indecisiveness; improves powers of concentration, study, telepathy; increases financial success; and locates objects that have been lost. Brown is also a good color for animal healing.
Here are the magickal correspondences for the color brown:
- Element: Earth
- Direction: North
- Chakra: Feet, Foot Chakras
- Planets: Earth
- Mondays/Mondays – Tan Browns
- Friday/Venus – All Browns
- Saturday/Saturn – Dark Browns
- Number: 2 and 3
- Magickal tools: Wand, Salt and Goblet
- Scent/Essential Oil: Birch, Cherry, Cloves Lilac, Rosemary, Orange Blossom, Bergamot, Comfrey, Linden, Patchouli and Myrrh.
- Plant/Herb: Corn, Tansy, Ginseng, Willow, Lily, Ivy, Grains, Oats, Mushrooms, Orange Tree, Almond, Begonia, Daisy, Brown includes all of the aspects of yellow and green.
- Animal: Toads, Cowbird, Faeries, Dog, Ostrich, Gnomes, Wolf, Bison, Elves, Pigeon, Horse, Deer,Pelican, Turkey, Woodpecker, Ants, Snake Pheasant, Beaver, Goat, Moose Cow and Bull.
- Minerals/Stones: Petrified Wood, Rock Crystal, Smokey Quartz, Amber, some Tiger Eye, Sandstone, Granite, Pumice, and Turquoise.
- Tarot Cards: the four Pages and the four Tens.
- Magical Purpose: Nature, growth, prosperity, luck, fertility, changes, rejuvenation, jealousy, envy.
- Magickal Uses: Earth magick, Faerie magick, money, luck, fertility, faerie contact, guide contact
The color green promotes prosperity, fertility, success; stimulates rituals for good luck, money, harmony, and rejuvenation.The color of money (at least in the United States), green is the best color to work with to attract wealth. Green is also the color of healing. Use the color green in fertility rites and to open channels for new love or to heal emotional problems. Use dark green with caution, however, because it is the color of ambition, greed, and jealousy; counteracts these influences in a ritual.
Here are the magickal correspondences for the color green:
- Element: Earth
- Direction: North
- Chakra: Fourth, Heart Chakra
- Planets: Venus, Jupiter, Mars
- Days: Friday/Venus – love, friendship; Wednesday/Mercury – business transactions; Thursday/Jupiter- Luck, prosperity
- Number: 4
- Magickal Tools: Wand, Cauldron
- Magickal Forms: Candles, cloth, glitter
- Scent/Essential Oil: Elder, Mint, Musk, Sage, Vanilla, Pine, Sweetpea, Mugwort, Patchouli, Vervain, Cinnamon, Marjoram.
- Plant/Herb: Birch, Catnip, Blackberry, Coltsfoot, Foxglove, Thyme, Yarrow, Feverfew, Burdock, Pennyroyal, Plaintain, Briar, Verbena, Elder, Basil, Cedarwood, Sage, Dill, Clove and Mugwort.
- Tree/Wood: Birch, Elder, Almond, Hawthorn, Fig, Oak, Palm, Pine
- Animal: Gnomes, Dwarves, Fishes, Bee, Bull, Rabbit, Rat, Alligator, Turtle, Grasshopper, Bison, Frog.
- Stones/Minerals: Emerald, Peridot, Jade, Malachite, Coral, Green Tourmaline, Aventurine,Green Quartz, Gold, Silver, Rock Crystal, Onyx, Azurite.
- Tarot Cards: Emperor, Sevens
- Gods: Agathadaimon, Bonus, Daikoku, Eventus, Buddha, Diakoku, Gansea, Inari, Jambhala, Jupiter, Pluto, Tamon
- Goddess: Anna Koun, Anna Perenna, Benten, Brighid, Buddhi, Carna, Chala, Felicitas, Fortuna, janus, Kichijo-Ten, Lakshmi, Ops,The Muses, Vasudhara, Syn
- Personality: Extroverted, happy, optimistic, status, possessive, direct
For centuries peoples have thought of the wind as being of four basic types, corresponding to the four directions or quarters of the Earth. These are the North, East, South, and West winds. Each is possessed of its own magical virtues, and certain spells are best cast during certain winds.
This may seem to rather unnecessarily complicated but it needn’t be. Looking to the winds when performing magic is no more difficult than checking the phase of the Moon, although the “phase” of the wind doesn’t last as long.
At best, if you can rig up a weather vane or windsock to determine the winds, you can adjust your magical workings slightly by waiting for the right wind.
Naturally, if the wind has been blowing steadily from the North all morning, it won’t do to wait for a Westerly one. The system is here to guide and aid, not to control our actions. Check the winds or not as you wish.
What follows are links to posts on each of the four winds, their meanings, and magickal workings:
In looking over the above discussions of each of the winds, bear in mind that this is not an absolute system. Different parts of the world have different attributes to the winds. The qualities discussed are those in favor in North America and Europe. Changes may be necessary for your own area due to climate, location, and weather patterns. As always, follow your own intuitive guidance when it comes to deciphering what each wind brings you.
The four winds are at least superficially related to the elements, and this can be kept in mind, but each has its own powers particular to the winds themselves.
One important point: In speaking of, say, the North Wind, it is the wind which blows from that direction rather than to the direction that is in question.
From: Earth Power
The North Wind is the wind of death – but not necessarily that of physical death. This is the realm of the one eternal universal law – change. “Death” here refers to the elimination of negativity.
The North Wind is cold (magically speaking), blowing in as it does from the direction of winter and of snows lying deep across the lands. It is “dry,” or barren, thus paving the way for spells of destruction.
How to use it? If you are depressed, anxious, envious, jealous, angry, and the wind is blowing from the north face full into it and it will free you of these things.
If you wish to break a bad habit, perform any spell of this nature while the North Wind is blowing for added power.
The North wind, while chilly with night and death and deep snows, is also the wind of the element Earth, and thus shares in some of its qualities. But the wind, being dry, is not favored for fertility and prosperity magic, although that involving healing can be greatly aided by the North Wind.
Its color is the black of midnight.
From: Earth Power