About The Fifty Names of Marduk
When Babylon became the capital of Mesopotamia, Marduk, the patron deity of Babylon was elevated to the level of supreme god. Acknowledged as the creator of the universe and of humankind, the god of light and life, and the ruler of destinies, he rose to such eminence that he claimed 50 titles. His name literally means “bull calf of the sun”.
The Enûma Eliš, an epic poem of creation, tells the story of Marduk’s birth, heroic deeds and becoming the ruler of the gods. Included in this document are the fifty names of Marduk. They can be found here: The Fifty Names of Marduk
According to the mythology of the Necromonicon, (a work of fiction by H P Lovecraft), and an adaptation of that mythology, The Necronomicon Spellbook, Marduk was the God who defeated the Ancient Ones long before the creation of matter as we know it. These Fifty Names, (according to the Necronomicon) were titles given to Marduk by the Elder Gods after he had helped them to defeat the Ancient Ones.
Each of the names has a magickal power and a sigil or symbol that goes along with it. What follows is a concise listing of the names, each linked to the information that goes with it:
“The Fifty Names here follow, with their Signs and Powers. They may be summoned after the Priest has ascended to that step on the Ladder of Lights and gained entrance to that Sacred City. The Signs should be engraved on parchment or sealed in clay and placed upon the altar at the Calling. And in the perfumes should be of cedar, and strong, sweet-smelling resins. And the Calling be to the North.”
- MARDUK – The Lord of Lords
- MARUKKA – Knows all things
- MARUTUKKU – Master of the Arts of Protection
- BARASHAKUSHU – Worker of Miracles
- LUGGALDIMMERANKIA – Put order into Chaos
- NARILUGGALDIMMERANKIA – Sub-Commander of the Wind Demons
- ASARULUDU – Wielder of the Flaming Sword
- NAMTILLAKU – A most secret and potent Lord
- NAMRU – Dispenses wisdom
- ASARU – This Power has knowledge of all plants
- ASARUALIM – Possesses secret wisdom
- ASARUALIMNUNNA – Power that presides over armour
- TUTU – Silences the weeping
- ZIUKKINNA – Knowledge of the stars
- ZIKU – This Power bestoweth Riches
- AGAKU – Lord of the Amulet
- TUKU – Lord of Baneful Magick
- SHAZU – Knows the thoughts of those at a distance
- ZISI – Reconciler of enemies
- SUHRIM – Kills easily, and without thought
- SUHGURIM – Foe who Cannot be Appeased
- ZAHRIM – A Warrior among Warriors
- ZAHGURIM – A most terrible opponent
- ENBILULU – Knows the Secrets of Water
- EPADUN – Lord of all Irrigation
- ENBILULUGUGAL – Power that presides over all growth
- HEGAL – Master of the arts of farming and agriculture
- SIRSIR – Master over the Serpent
- MALAH – Lord of Bravery and Courage
- GIL – The Furnisher of Seed
- GILMA – Founder of cities
- AGILMA – Bringer of Rain
- ZULUM – Knows where and when to plant
- MUMMU – Power to fashion the universe
- ZULUMMAR – Giveth tremendous strength
- LUGALABDUBUR – Destroyer of the Gods
- PAGALGUENNA – Possessor of Infinite Intelligence
- LUGALDURMAH – Lord of the Lofty Places
- ARANUNNA – Giver of Wisdom
- DUMUDUKU – Knower of the Secret Name
- LUGALANNA – Power of the Eldest of the Elder Ones
- LUGALUGGA – Knows the Essence of all Spirits
- IRKINGU – Captured the Commander of the Ancient Ones
- KINMA – Judge and Lord of the Gods
- ESIZKUR – Knowledge of the length of Life
- GIBIL – Realm of the Fire and the Forge.
- ADDU – Raises storms
- ASHARRU – Knower of the Treacherous Ways
- NEBIRU – Spirit of the Gate
- NINNUAM – Decider of Decisions
Some of these names are not quite the same as the ones in the original translation. I am unclear as to why this is so, and have, for the most part, used the names as they were written in the Necronomicon Spellbook because this is the source of the sigils and seals.
Leave a Reply
- About The Fifty Names of Marduk When Babylon became the capital of Mesopotamia, Marduk, the patron deity of...
- Ziku From the Fifty Names of Marduk in the Necronomicon Spellbook. The Fiftee...
- Barashakushu From the Fifty Names of Marduk in the Necronomicon Spellbook. The Fourth...
- The Looped Square The looped square (⌘) is a symbol consisting of a square with outward point...
- Marutukku From the Fifty Names of Marduk in the Necronomicon Spellbook. The Third...
- Visual Index of the Symbols Because symbols and signs are visual in nature, its often easier to look th...
- Marduk From the Fifty Names of Marduk in the Necronomicon Spellbook. The First...
- The Evil Eye The evil eye is a specific type of magical curse. It is believed to cause...
- Marukka From the Fifty Names of Marduk in the Necronomicon Spellbook. The Second...
- Asaruludu From the Fifty Names of Marduk in the Necronomicon Spellbook. The Sevent...