Leo Vinci in Incense: Its Ritual Significance, Use and Preparation states that the Egyptian formula for Kyphi was given in the writings of Plutarch and that it contained 16 ingredients. He gives three different formulas for this incense in his book. My own personal formula contains more than 16 ingredients but smells much better than the ones given by Vinci.
Here’s the recipe. Blend together the following ingredients:
- Red sandalwood – 1 part
- Frankincense – 1/2 part
- Myrrh – 1/4 part
- Galangal – 1 part
- Juniper berries – 1/4 part
- Dragon’s blood – 1/4 part
- Calamus root – 1 part
- Bay laurel – 1 part
- Orris root – 1/4 part
- Henna powder – 1/4 part
- Cinnamon – 1/4 part
- Balm of Gilead – 1/4 part
- Styrax bark – 1/4 part
Add oils of amber, honey, acacia, orris, storax, lotus, and musk to personal preference.
Note: Many recipes for Kyphi call for the use of raisins, honey, and wine. These “wet” ingredients enable you to make the incense into a paste that is then formed into balls and left to dry before burning.
From: D J Conway’s Magick of the Gods and Goddesses
Leave a Reply
- Aura Cleansing Floorwash by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Protective Angelica Floorwash by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- New Home Floorwash by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Ocean Water Cleansing Floorwash by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Isis Psychic Power Powder by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment