Easy and Simple
When the day approaches noon,
Hold up honey to the sun,
That their double gold may run
Shining together, mixed as one.
Drink three spoonfuls,
Then say this:
Sun charge me
Gold serve me,
Alchemy change me,
Honey preserve me.
Crone’s Book of Magical Words
When you burn dried herbs or resins, you’ll need a heat tolerant vessel. Traditionally this is an abalone shell with a bit of sand in the bottom. You might also use a charcoal disc beneath the herbs to keep them smoking, especially in the case of resins. Here are some plants commonly used as incense and their magickal uses:
- Allspice: Attracting money, good luck, and providing extra physical energy.
- Arabic(gum): Attracting money, good luck, and providing extra physical energy.
- Bay: Purification, healing, protection, and enhancing psychic powers.
- Benzoin: Purification, prosperity, and increasing mental powers.
- Cedar: Purification, protection, speed healing, promoting spirituality, and obtaining money.
- Clove: Protection, exorcism, money, love, and purification.
- Copal: Protection, cleansing, purification, spirituality, and purifying quartz crystals and other stones before use in magic ritual.
- Dragon’s Blood: Love, protection, sexual prowess, and exorcism.
- Fern: House purification, or, when burned outdoors, bringing rain.
- Frankincense: Protection, spirituality, love, exorcism, and consecration.
- Juniper: Exorcism, protection, healing, and love.
- Lavender: Peace, restful sleep and happiness. Relief of insomnia, depression, grief, sorrow and anxiety.
- Mugwort: Used to cleanse space of negative energies. When burned before bedtime, known to stimulate dreams.
- Myrrh: Healing, protection, peace, consecration, exorcism, and meditation.
- Pine: Money, healing, exorcism, and purification.
- Rose: Who knew people burn dried rose petals for incense? Attracts love, enhances a romantic environment. Also used for meditation and encouraging peace.
- Rosemary: Protection, purification, healing, exorcism, and to induce sleep; to restore or maintain youth, bring love, and increase mental and intellectual powers.
- Sage: Spirituality and to promote healing.
- Sandalwood: Spirituality, healing, protection, and exorcism.
- Sweetgrass: Attracts positive energy into the space. Is good for cleansing sacred space.
- Thyme: Purification, promoting health, and healing.
- Make a mild infusion of Calendula flowers.
- Soak cotton pads in this infusion.
- Place one over each eye to be granted a vision of the fairies.
Said to help increase your own power. Anoint on the forehead, throat, breast bone, and above the navel. Useful in any ritual when designed to increase your own power in any situation. Anoint on charms for psychic and spiritual development.
Mix together equal parts of grated lemon peel or lemon flowers and frankincense. Add two tablespoons of the powder to two ounces of oil.
This is one of the easiest projects, and was created by our 8-year-old, Willow. Take colored eggshells (she was partial to blue), and grind to a fine powder. Toss in a pinch of rose petals, and you have instant “egg fairy dust.” Of course, she thinks this powder attracts eggplant fairies, so who are we to argue? *smile*
Spell by: Amberflame
Here are some simple spells which use ingredients found in any supermarket.
- Chocolate is excellent for money.
- Spinach can help you get a job.
- Bitter foods will make you work harder, sweet foods will ease the pressure on a workaholic (try honey, not junk food).
- Apples are sacred to Aphrodite, so cut one in half and give it to your lover to enrapture them.
- Get the one you want out of your life out of it by serving them a bowl of turnips. They’ll leave you – you won’t have to do a thing.
- Ginger tea, or bathing with ginger will relieve stress.
- Oats in a sock, popped in the bath, promotes gentleness and soft beauty.
Many of the formulas offered here are intended to be placed in mojo or medicine bags. What follows is a very simple tutorial on how to make a simple drawstring bag using a handkerchief, a ribbon, and a needle and thread.
Note: You can also use a square of fabric the size of a handkerchief.
- Lay a handkerchief out flat and put a ribbon across the middle of it with the ends hanging over a little bit.
- The longer the ribbon is, the easier it will be to tie it together when you are done.
- Also remember that you may want to tie decorations to the ends of the ribbon… so be generous.
- Fold the handkerchief in half with the ribbon on the inside and in the crease.
- Fold the handkerchief again.
- The handkerchief is now folded in quarters.
- The ribbon is at the top and both ends of the ribbon are on the same side.
- Sew up the open sides of the handkerchief.
- Stop sewing right before you get to the ribbon.
- Tie a good knot.
- Then turn the whole thing inside out.
- Pull the ribbons tight and Voila!
You just made a drawstring pouch and it only took about 5 minutes. Cool huh? Now all that’s left is to decorate the outside (optional) and fill up the inside.
Here’s a visual tutorial:
Gather handfuls of fresh clean snow from the first snowfall of the season, or break off the first icicle you see. Place it in a clean glass bowl and let it melt. Add holly leaves and let this water sit overnight – exposed to northern moonbeams if possible. Wash your face with the water for enhanced youth and beauty.
Tonic waters containing the energies of the moon embody very powerful healing benefits that bring about integral balance and wholeness throughout the body, mind and soul. Clear quartz crystal catalyses the absorption of lunar energies as well as amplifies the healing benefits.
Wait for a clear night, preferably on or right before the full moon. Put your crystal in a clear glass and cover with one cup of purified water. Check an almanac for the exact time of sundown on the day you have chosen.
At sundown, place the glass out of doors in a moonlit place (cover the glass with clear plastic wrap). Remove the glass at dawn. The water is now filled with lunar potency. Drink the moon water every morning to prepare your body, mind and spirit for the stress of the day.