Many of the formulas offered here are intended to be placed in mojo or medicine bags. What follows is a very simple tutorial on how to make a simple drawstring bag using a handkerchief, a ribbon, and a needle and thread.
Note: You can also use a square of fabric the size of a handkerchief.
- Lay a handkerchief out flat and put a ribbon across the middle of it with the ends hanging over a little bit.
- The longer the ribbon is, the easier it will be to tie it together when you are done.
- Also remember that you may want to tie decorations to the ends of the ribbon… so be generous.
- Fold the handkerchief in half with the ribbon on the inside and in the crease.
- Fold the handkerchief again.
- The handkerchief is now folded in quarters.
- The ribbon is at the top and both ends of the ribbon are on the same side.
- Sew up the open sides of the handkerchief.
- Stop sewing right before you get to the ribbon.
- Tie a good knot.
- Then turn the whole thing inside out.
- Pull the ribbons tight and Voila!
You just made a drawstring pouch and it only took about 5 minutes. Cool huh? Now all that’s left is to decorate the outside (optional) and fill up the inside.
Here’s a visual tutorial: