A quantum is a precise amount of electromagnetic energy, and a quanta measures a burst of light and together they maintain the cosmos. Your inner universe is comprised of that same life force, and it’s put into motion through your thoughts, perceptions, and the consciousness by which you perceive yourself and the world around you.
This inner universe consists of seven subtle bodies that encompass your aura, which is merely an electromagnetic field that extends from your core to 4-5 feet into your perimeter.
What are the Seven Subtle Bodies, the Aura, and Chakras?
If you could see the invisible, you’d see the bio-photons that Fritz-Albert Popp proved the existence of the bio-photon back in the early 70’s. These photons are living particles of colored light (quanta) that the human body emits – this is your aura.
There are seven subtle layers, or bodies that comprise the auric system, and they exist very much like layers of an onion.
The seven subtle bodies hold various forms of information and correspond to the chakra system, which produces energies that create the aura. The seven subtle bodies work like the vehicles of your soul and are:
- The Etheric Body – First Layer
- The Emotional Body – Second Layer
- The Mental Body – Third Layer
- The Astral Level – Fourth Layer
- The Etheric Template Body – Fifth Layer
- The Celestial Body – Sixth Layer
- The Casual Body or Ketheric Template – Seventh Layer
The Seven Subtle Bodies – Peeling Back the Layers
We can quickly break down these seven subtle bodies as such: three physical plane lower bodies, three spiritual upper bodies, and the astral body that bridges the two; however, some practitioners place the astral body among the spiritual.
The energies must pass through the astral plane and heart chakra, e.g. ‘The Fire of the Heart’ to be fully useful and communicative with the lower bodies. Particularly during states of meditation, one has a stronger connection with the seven subtle bodies and the ability to foster healing and balancing of the chakras.
The Etheric Body:
Of the seven subtle bodies, the Etheric body energy is only one-quarter to two inches beyond your physical self and resonates at nearly 20 cycles per minute. Kirlian photography allows the entire body to be perceived in generally a bluish the aura. Because the etheric body vibrates with and holds information pertaining to one’s physical health, energies can duplicate in the body.
The Emotional Body:
Extending about 1-3 inches from the body, the Emotional layer is obviously where your feelings reside. Typically exhibited by a bright combination of rainbow hues, the field can appear muddled and dulled when negative emotions and feelings are present.
The Mental Body:
From 3-8 inches from the body exists the Mental, or third layer of the aura. Containing your ideas, mental processes, and thoughts, this layer is typically associated with hues of yellow light that radiates around the shoulders and head, slightly extending into lower regions of the body to communicate with other levels.
The Astral Level:
Spreading about a foot from the body, the astral body represents the bridge to the spiritual realm and is the doorway to the astral plane. As with the emotional body, this field produces a myriad of color; however, because it’s strongly correlated to the heart chakra, more hues of pink are present in a loving individual.
The Etheric Template Body:
A template that exists far before the physical body form, this is the template for what you know as the physical body and is thought to co-exist in a different dimension. Extending about a foot and a half from the body, the Etheric template is only visible to advanced healers and clairvoyants. The building block of healing the lower etheric body, this template boasts deep, blue hues possibly because it is a blueprint containing all the forms of the physical world, creating a negative space.
The Celestial Body:
Communication with the spiritual ream occurs here as do feelings of ecstasy and unconditional love. Often appearing as bright, shimmering opalescent colors, one becomes more aware of the Celestial body as they raise their vibrations, level of awareness, and consciousness. As you work from the heart chakra to the sixth level, feelings of divine love and a connection with our fellow man become reality.
The Causal Body/Etheric Template:
The seventh layer is the mental level of one’s spiritual plane and contains all the other bodies within it, extending three to five feet from the body. This field resembles and egg and it pulsates and vibrates at high speeds that are considered the Zero Point / God Energy. A reflection of everything your soul has undergone, this is the link to the Divine and accepting your oneness with the universe.
Each auric level has it’s own 7 chakras nestled within other auric chakras with each layer extending outwards, vibrating at a higher rate as they expound. This means that the set of seven chakras within the etheric body will vibrate at lower frequency than those within the casual body.
This process is what allows one’s energies to transmutate between all bodies to all other chakras for harmonic balance and higher vibrations, particularly when they are cleared and opened.
Breathing technique to purify the spirit.
This technique magnifies your Reiki energy and helps you feel like a piece of hollow bamboo – a clear channel for energy. When practicing this, you will realize that energy does not belong to us. It is simply the all-pervading force that makes everything pulsate with life.
With practice, you will find that the forces you thought to be your own personal energy melt and merge with the cosmic energy within your body-mind system. Then it becomes exceedingly difficult to draw the line between where the universe ends and “I” begin.
- Stand in a comfortable position, feet shoulder-width apart.
- Take a few deep breaths.
- Release all the tension in your body and think of something pleasant.
- Let your mouth open slightly.
- Breathe in through your nose.
- Rest your tongue on the roof of your mouth as you inhale.
- Exhale through your mouth, and let your tongue come down naturally as you do this.
- Bend your knees in slow motion while focusing your attention on your lower abdomen.
- Do each step very, very slowly.
Suddenly you will become aware of a point in your lower abdomen, 2 or 3 fingers below the navel. It is where your life force dwells, the center of your being. This is called the Tanden.
Now begin the main exercise:
It may help to put one or both of your hands on your lower abdomen and breathe into the spot you are touching.
- Inhale through your nose, and imagine drawing Reiki energy into your body through your crown chakra.
- Pull the energy down to your Tanden.
- When the energy reaches your Tanden, keep the energy there for a few seconds without straining yourself.
- Visualize how this breath is expanding and permeating your entire body.
- Then exhale through your mouth and imagine the energy flowing out through your fingertips, your hand chakras, the tips of your toes and your foot chakras.
Continue for 5 or 10 minutes.
For my sources see: Recommended Reading
Although each of the techniques I have studied has a slightly different perspective on the human energy field and the mechanics of how it functions and how it interacts with our physical and emotional well-being, there are some areas of general agreement.
The following is my summary of the underlying assumptions of energy work, as described in various healing manuals. Not all of the authors I have studied would agree with all of the points below, but these points do seem to represent a common denominator amongst the systems.
The Auric Field
- A dynamic, vibrating energy field is present within our physical bodies, and surrounds our bodies as an aura of energy. The invisible field extends at least a few inches above the surface of the skin.
- Some of the authors describe several layers to the auric field, extending as much as three to four feet out from the physical body.
The energy field can be experienced through physical senses, especially touch and sight.
- “Seeing” energy.
Several healers report an ability to see energy. Some see a shimmering haze around the body (the aura). Others can see colors which indicate illness or disease. Some use high sense perception to see the structures of chakras, the health of the organs, the flow of blood through the body, etc.
- “Feeling” energy.
When someone tunes in to his own energy or when he scans another person’s energy field, he can feel physical sensations such as tingling, heat, “magnetic” force, vibration, or currents. These are usually felt most strongly in the hands. When a healer focuses intention on sending healing energy, the client may feel similar sensations.
These sensations can be further amplified through specialized breathing techniques and exercises. This indicates that we can consciously influence our energy field and other people’s energy fields with our attention, thoughts, feelings, and actions.
Scientific instruments are able to measure some aspects of the energy field, and some effects of the energy field on other systems; however, some aspects elude measurement with current technology. The field shares many common aspects with electricity and magnetism (see Oschman for discussion) but it is not yet clear whether biomagnetism is exactly the same force as the human biofield, or just a closely related phenomenon.
- Energy appears to flow through the body in predictable patterns, similar to river currents or magnetic polarities (though various techniques are not necessarily in complete agreement about the direction of these flows.)
This energy is carried through our bodies along definable pathways (aka meridians, nadis) that can be most easily contacted at certain identifiable points along the body (aka acupuncture points). There are certain centers on our body which appear to act as gateways for the interaction between our energy and environmental influences (aka chakras, emotion centers, dan tien).
- The energy field is connected with the breath.
Energy can be increased by consciously controlled breathing. Breathing moves energy through the body.
Sources of energy:
The general belief is that there is an unlimited supply of universal energy that all humans have access to, as long as our energy pathways are clear and balanced. Some theoreticians view this in scientific terms, others in spiritual terms.
- This source may be referred to as God, or Cosmic Energy, or Divine Source.
- Our energy field can be equated with the “spark of life.” It is the animating force that gives and sustains life.
Some ways we access energy:
- Food and other environmental influences.
- Inherited karma.
- Meditation and other conscious connection to the energy.
Types of energy:
Some systems differentiate between heavy and light energy or between yin and yang energy. Neither energy is harmful or bad, but it is important to keep the energies balanced.
Human beings are open energy systems. We are continuously exchanging energy with other people, animals, and the environment. Our fields are in constant flux and change. A normal healthy body has a continuous flow of balanced energy.
Blockages and Imbalances:
We are constantly exposed to energy from our environment and our experiences which is incompatible with our energy, and which could throw our field out of balance. In a normal, healthy energy system, we are able to release these incompatible energies immediately. However, if we are already unbalanced, our energy systems may absorb them.
- Blockages and imbalances in the energy field can manifest as mental, physical, emotional, and/or spiritual disease.
- Physical injuries can cause damage to the energy field that may remain even after the physical injury has healed.
This may account for some cases of chronic pain. Energy medicine can effect significant results with releasing the long-term energy blockages caused by the physical injury.
- Emotional traumas can also have long-term impact.
If we continue to hold the emotional trauma in our energy field, the blockage may eventually manifest as physical illness. This is why energy work on physical dis-ease often leads to release of long-held emotional issues.
Emotions and Consciousness:
The energy is associated with emotions and consciousness. It is involved in the creation and experience of emotions and spiritual experiences.
Some argue that the field is the connection between our bodies and our consciousness, some define the field as the same as consciousness, some believe the flow of energy can be equated to the flow of emotions through our bodies.
Gerber has a complex taxonomy for energy, including metabolic energy, bioelectrical energy, biophotonic energy, and subtle bioenergies (divided up into ch’i, prana, etheric energy, astral energy, mental energy, and higher spiritual energies.)
Other terms for Energy:
There are several names for this field. In traditional cultures, it is called by names like Mana in Polynesia, Prana in India, Qi in China, Ki in Japan, and Hucha and Sami in Peru. Modern healing techniques refer to it as the Biofield, Life-force energy, Physioemotional Field, Body Energy Field, Vital energies, and Subtle Energies.
Source: Transition To Parenthood
Scattered over the surface of an individual’s aura are various power points. These points are areas where a person’s energy varies in density or form, appearing either thicker or thinner than the rest of his or her energy field. Energy can be channeled into these points so the person can experience healing or have his/her consciousness pushed into another reality.
The human aura is actually a complex web of energy fibers. Power points are areas where these fibers intersect or join. By manipulating these points you can rearrange the fibers to adjust the person’s energy field. Moving these fibers can change the person on an emotional, spiritual, or physical level. This in turn can heal a person of physical diseases or emotional turmoil. It can also bring him/her closer to the sacred self.
As with any technique, learning how to sense power spots will take patience and diligence. It is something we learn to do intuitively, not intellectually. You will have to work with a partner.
One person should sit comfortably in a chair while the other person practices locating that person’s power points. To locate your partner’s power points, stand behind the person and relax. Allow yourself to go into a light meditative state. As much as possible release your mind. In order to feel another person’s power points, you must see with your spiritual eyes, you don’t see as much as feel; you sense at a deep level of you being.
After you are relaxed, slowly begin to move your hands over the other person’s body, being sure not to touch the body. Place your hands about six inches from the body and notice how it feels. Place all you attention to the area between your hands and the person’s body. Close your eyes and breathe deeply; let your mind relax.
- What do you see?
- What can you sense?
- Allow your hands to become sensitive to the temperature and texture of the person’s body.
- Move your hands in and out as well as over the surface of the body’s energy field.
- Stay relaxed and breathe deeply.
- Don’t try too hard.
- Simply allow yourself to really feel from deep within your being.
- Instead of thinking with your head, feel with your heart.
- Ask the universe for help in sensing this person’s power points, and let your sacred self guide you.
At first, as you move your hands over a certain spot you may feel a strange pulling or tugging at your hands. This is a power point. It may feel like a slight shift in temperature. A particular spot may feel warmer or cooler. Certain areas may feel sluggish or sticky or you may feel static electricity. Allow yourself to be sensitive to any change in sensations. Trust your inner knowing. Don’t debate it with your mind. If you think it is a power point, it is a power point.
Once you find a power point, ask the person how it feels as you move your hand over it. Without touching the individual, ask him/her where you are working. Both of you then can build the sensitivity. Take turns practicing until you can easily locate at least several points on each other.
The locations of the power points varies from person to person, and from one day to another. Be patient with yourself. Learning how to feel and sense on these levels is a new experience for your mind. You have been trained most of your life to filter out any information you receive from these levels. When you learned to walk as a child, you fell down often. If you had given up, you would still be in your crib or crawling around on your hands and knees. Be patient with yourself. Let yourself learn how to walk through these new levels. Have fun and enjoy the process.
Many people find that if they rub their hands together vigorously first they can feel energy more easily. After rubbing your hands together vigorously to sensitize them if this helps you be more aware of energy.
Run your hands over your own body or that of the person wanting a treatment holding your hands about an inch away from the physical body. Feel for hot and cold spots in the energy field.
Pull out and throw away anything you feel intuitively that you should pull out and envision healing light filling any place where you remove blocks or that feels empty or that you feel needs it. Combing and fluffing the aura with your fingers as though combing hair can also help clear and lighten the aura.
You can also feel for the energy of the Chakras and encourage them to be open and clear and be well seated in the central energy channel. If you feel sticky or dark energy as you do this you can give it to Spirit, the Light, Earth to be transformed.
In addition to pulling out blocks and overcharges in the energy field. Visualize and allow spiritual healing energy to flow freely and fill and charge the person or other, being treated do not try to do anything just allow it to happen. When you visualize spiritual healing energy, you are not using your own personal energy.
This is an even more powerful exercise if you are attuned to Reiki and using the Reiki energy for clearing and healing. Using the universal spiritual healing energy is more effective in any case.
There is a wonderful meditational exercise called Earth Walking posted in The Book of Shadows that I believe is very helpful in healing work. Particularly when it comes to healing yourself. It can be found here: Earth Walking. This is also an excellent way to ground yourself and release an excess of built up energy after attunements, healing sessions, and other energy work.
Why should you walk barefoot?
Walking barefoot, also called “earthing,” is getting some positive reviews in the scientific world. A review published in the Journal of Environmental and Public Health looked at a number of studies that highlight how drawing electrons from the earth improves health.
- In one, chronic pain patients using grounded carbon fiber mattresses slept better and experienced less pain.
- Another study found that earthing changed the electrical activity in the brain, as measured by electroencephalograms.
- Other research found that grounding benefited skin conductivity, moderated heart rate variability, improved glucose regulation, reduced stress and boosted immunity.
- Earthing increases the surface charge of red blood cells. As a result, the cells avoid clumping, which decreases blood viscosity. High viscosity is a significant factor in heart disease, which is why so many people take blood thinning aspirin each day to improve their heart health.
- Another study in the same journal found that earthing may help regulate both the endocrine and nervous systems.
If the science doesn’t excite you, consider this:
The earth walking exercise expands your experience beyond the realm of personal energy and into the feelings of Earth energy. Our ancestors slept on the Earth and exchanged energy with it every day. Most people barely touch the Earth now, with the ubiquity of shoes and floors. Earth walking helps us come back into balance with the energy field of the Earth.
Like your ball of energy in Exercise #2 was an exercise in control, with this next experience, you will learn how your energy can affect and influence other people in very subtle ways. Again you will need a partner.
1) Stand facing each other, with only a few feet between you. The receptive partner should have their eyes closed. Make sure this person is standing up straight, but is not braced against any structures.
2) You then try to use your willpower, breath, and intent to “push” your personal energy out and influence your partner. Use a gathering motion in the space around you to gather your personal energy as you inhale. Use pushing motions as you gently exhale, sending the energy toward your partner.
3) Take notice of your partner. If there is a third person in the room, this person might notice the action more than either of the exercise partners. Usually the receptive partner looks like they are swaying back, even if they do not consciously feel it.
4) Reverse the process by gathering the energy between you both, and pull the energy forward with your intention. Inhale and sweep your arms toward your body as you bring the energy closer. You may notice your partner pulling forward a bit. Repeat these steps several times until you feel comfortable with them. Then ask your partner, still with eyes closed, what they are feeling.
For my sources see: Recommended Reading
In this exercise, we are going to practice feeling the aura of another person, so you will need a partner to practice with. Here’s how it works:
1) As in Energy Exercise #2 sensitize your hands by rubbing them together, but instead of placing the palms facing together, put your arms out with palms facing out, as if you were gesturing to stop.
2) Stand at one end of the room while your partner is at the other. Close your eyes and slowly walk toward your partner, having your partner guide you if you get off course. As you could feel the energy between your palms, you are looking for a similar feeling when you reach the edge of your partner’s energy field.
3) Keep your eyes closed, but take note of the various levels of energy you feel. Move back and forth to explore the sensations.
4) Repeat the exercise, this time with your eyes open. Stop where you feel the first layer of resistance. Have your partner raise his or her arms straight out in front. Usually the perimeter of the aura is a hand’s length beyond the reach of a person’s arms. I have found that depending on an individual’s boundaries and current emotions, it can be larger or smaller, but in general, it is around an arm’s length. Where did you feel it? Most feel it near this perimeter, though you can also feel other “layers” closer to the body. Reverse roles and try the experiment again.
For my sources see: Recommended Reading
In this exercise, we are going to create a ball of energy.
1) Start as you did with Energy Exercise #1, but when your hands are six inches apart, imagine that you are holding a ball of energy. At first this ball is like and empty bowl, a shell, but your are filling it with the energy between your hands.
2) As you breathe out, imagine that you are blowing out energy, exhaling from your mouth, and also “exhaling” from your palms. This energy helps fill the ball. Feel it fill up. Intend to make the ball thicker and more solid. At first this will feel like you are playing pretend and making it up, but such play-acting is the way energy responds to our thoughts. By acting as if the energy is changing, it does.
3) Once you have a “solid” ball of energy floating between your hands, you can literally play with it. You can make it smaller and more dense. You can stretch it out like taffy. Discover how mutable energy can be, responding to your intent and commands.
4) When done, bring your hands together and imagine you are absorbing the energy. Then wipe off your hands to remove any excess.
Later, as you learn to work more with energy, you can draw more energy from your environment, and not necessarily your own personal energy, to create energy balls. They can then be “charged” with an intention, such as healing, and given to other people, animals, plants, and places to make your magick. You will not be limited to balls of energy, but any shape and size you can imagine. I like to weave energy “webs” of protection around myself and my home. Now that you have a feel for the power of your own personal energy, if you have a partner in this work, or a willing friend or family member, you can discover how your energy interacts with others.
For my sources see: Recommended Reading
The purpose of this exercise is to physically feel some of this spiritual energy that you personally generate. Many students find this easy with a little practice, but others have difficulty because they do not know what to look for.
I feel this energy like a very weak very subtle magnetic repulsion. If you were to take two positive ends of a magnet and try to put them together, you would have some difficulty. The fields of energy offer resistance. Take that feeling and expect something a bit less dramatic or concrete, and you can feel the resistance between your hands. They are not exactly opposing charges, so they do not offer the same kind of resistance as two magnets. Magnets are the way I would describe the feeling.
Since this is individual and subjective, others perceive it as a temperature shift. You could also feel a slight tingle or “pins and needles” sensation, as if you hands are “asleep.” Others feel a pressure or even texture. Everyone feels it differently. Once you feel it, you will be able to manipulate this energy through your will and intent. This is a fundamental building block for magick and psychic development.
1) Hold your hands about three feet apart, palms facing each other. Close your eyes if you would like. You are aware of any new information you receive from your hands, but you are not judging the experience or trying to create it. Allow it to happen naturally.
2) Bring your hands closer together, slowly. Be aware of the sensation. Notice any feelings that come in waves or layers. These are the levels of your aura, your energy body. Some layers offer more “resistance” than others. Try it several times, with eyes closed and then open. If you have difficulty, start over, but begin by rubbing your hands together vigorously, as if you were trying to warm them up. This will increase your hand’s sensitivity.
3) When you are done, wipe your hands together as if you were wiping excess water off them. This removes any other energies you might have picked up along the way. End all of these energy exercises with such a wiping motion.
For my sources see: Recommended Reading
- The Seven Subtle Bodies by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Reiki Prayers by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- The Seven Chakras by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Techniques to Intensify the Power of Reiki by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Hand Positions – Self Treatment by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Advantages of A Whole Body Treatment by shirleytwofeathers - 1 Comment
- Brief Bio of Dr Usui by shirleytwofeathers - 1 Comment
- Reiki Energy Is Never Depleted by shirleytwofeathers - 1 Comment
- How Reiki Works by shirleytwofeathers - 1 Comment
- Kirlian Photography and Reiki by shirleytwofeathers - 1 Comment