You can use your turkey leftovers after Thanksgiving dinner or even buy turkey drumsticks which are huge and very cheap. If you have any leftover sliced turkey meat add it after you’ve boiled the carcass and taken the meat off of the bones.
- Boil the turkey carcass for about two hours,
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add herbs (your choice), preferably fresh.
- Add some pearl barley after the first hour, just a handful or so.
- Drain the liquid from the carcass and pick the meat off of the bones.
- Now add the sliced meat (if you have some).
- Add chopped carrots, and turnips to liquid.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Make dumplings.
- Add them and cook for 30 minutes on stove.
- Add sliced leeks and a handful of frozen peas.
Serve with a loaf of fresh white or brown bread.
Disclaimer: I found this recipe back in 2006 and didn’t make a note of where I found it. If you know the author, let me know so I can give credit and a link.