It’s Smart To Eat Fish
It is smart to eat fish, especially fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, mackerel, herring and tuna, at least two or three times a week. Research shows that eating just an ounce of fish a day may help restore our cells to healthy functioning, saving countless people from disability and premature death.
Here is a list of disorders that fish oil may alleviate or prevent:
- Rheumatoid arthritis – Reduces joint pain, soreness, stiffness, fatigue.
- Heart attacks – Cuts the odds of subsequent heart attacks by one third.
- Clogged arteries – Keeps arteries open and clear. Reduces risk of reclosure of arteries after angioplasty surgery by 40 to 50 percent
- High Blood Pressure – Eliminates or reduces the need for pharmaceutical pressure-lowering medications.
- Ulcerative colitis (inflammatory bowel disease) – In one test, eating 4.5 grams of fish oil a day (equal to that in 7 ounces of mackerel) for 8 months depressed disease activity by 56 percent. Another test reduced need for prednisone, a steroid, by one third.
- Psoriasis – Reduces itching, redness, pain in some patients, and cuts the amount of medication needed.
- Multiple Sclerosis – Helps reduce symptoms in some patients.
- Asthma – Curtails attacks in some individuals.
- Migraine Headaches – Lessens severity and frequency in some sufferers.