Weather Forecasting – Feline Style
In almost every country where they were known, cats were believed to have mystical powers, and among other things, to be able to foretell and control the weather. Here is a list of what can be expected weather-wise based on cat behavior and actions:
- When cats run about wildly, or claw at carpets and cushions, wind is coming.
- A cat sleeping with all four paws tucked under means bad weather is coming.
- When the pupil of a cat’s eye broadens, there will be rain.
- A cat washing itself is believed to be a forecast of rain.
- To throw a cat overboard causes an immediate storm at sea.
- If a cat sneezes it will rain.
- If the cat turns its tail to a fire or any substituting heat source, it foretells a possible change in weather, particularly the coming of heavy rain or hard frost.
- If a cat sits with its back to the fire, it is a sure sign of frost.
- If a cat curls up with its forehead touching the ground, it indicates that storms will happen in the near future.
- If a cat continually looks out a window on any day, rain is on the way.
- Sailors believed that if a cat licked its fur against the grain it meant a hailstorm was coming; if it sneezed, rain was on the way; and if it was frisky, the wind would soon blow.
- A German belief says that mistreating a cat can cause a rainstorm to occur on the clothes you’ve hung out to dry.
- It was a popular belief that cats could start storms through magic stored in their tails – so sailors always made sure that they were well-fed and contented.
- If a cat licks its fur in the opposite way that it naturally lies, there will be significant rain.
- Alternatively, if the cat calmly and smoothly washes itself, expect fair weather.
- Forgetting to feed your cat on your wedding day is an invitation to the rain.
- To see a cat eating grass foretells rain.
- Anyone who makes cats his enemy is certain to be accompanied to the grave with wind and rain.
- If the cat tears of the cushions or carpet with its claws, it is a sign that wind is coming, as we say, “the cat is raising the wind“.
- If cats are playing in the house and an unusually lively way, windy or stormy weather is approaching.
- If the cat while washing its face draws its paw over its forehead it is a sign of good weather. If not, it means speedy rain.
- Indonesians and Malays believe that if you wash your cat it will bring rain.
Collected from various sources
Leave a Reply
- Reading Candle Wax The art of reading a candle's melted and hardened wax is call...
- Throwing The Bones In bone divination, bones of various sorts are ritually tosse...
- Shagai – Throwing The Bones Shagai refers to the astragalus of the ankle of a sheep or go...
- Ask The Fortune Teller Welcome to my Ask The Fortune Teller page. She is open for bus...
- Methods of Divination There are so many methods of divination, that I think it can tr...
- The Zulu Bone Casting Tradition I found the following post while browsing the Magic Cafe Forums...
- Onomancy Onomancy comes from the Greek onoma (name), and manteia (prop...
- Bay Leaf Divination The oracle at Daphne, near Tarsus was obtained by dipping bay...
- Nephomancy – What is it? Nephomancy or Nephelomancy is divination by studying clouds...
- Ailuromancy – What is it? Ailuromancy or aeluromancy , also known as felidomancy, is a...