This method, which resembles something from a fairy tale, traditionally uses a mandrake root, though ginseng, carrot, or any root that suggests a human form may be substituted.
- Embellish and dress the root so it looks like a person. (German folk tradition suggests using millet for eyes.)
- Wrap the root doll in silk when not in use and keep in a safe place.
- Unwrap the doll and talk to it before bedtime. Tell it your concerns and questions.
- Perch it on your pillow or tuck it beneath while you go to sleep and dream.
Queen of the Meadow is also known as Meadowsweet, is a perennial herb that grows in damp meadows. It is native throughout most of Europe and Western Asia (Near east and Middle east). It has been introduced and naturalised in North America.
- Place a Queen of the Meadow root inside a glass of water.
- Place this glass beside a burning white candle.
- Gaze into the flame, to obtain visions of the future.