Monthly Archives: November 2016
There isn’t much to be found when it comes to omens, signs, and superstitions surrounding Thanksgiving. Here are a few tidbits from various sources:
- To entirely prepare a thanksgiving-dinner is a sign that you will have a house of your own before another Thanksgiving.
- Always be bright and cheerful on Thanksgiving day, no matter what your troubles are, and you will have cause to rejoice thrice before the year is out.
- If all the members of the family are not home at Thanksgiving, there will be one death in the family before the next Thanksgiving.
- Before putting the turkey in the oven, knock 3 times on a wooden board and the meat will taste succulent.
- If you eat a child’s turkey leftovers then it will make a boy naughty and a girl cry.
Pulling the wishbone:
Two people take hold of opposite ends of the turkey’s clavicle, known as the wishbone, and pull. The one who ends up with the biggest piece is given the chance to make a wish. As long as they don’t tell anyone else what the wish is, the wish is supposed to come true. If there are newlyweds at your Thanksgiving table, it is customary to give the wishbone to the new couple so that good luck will follow them throughout their marriage.
- A key
- A ring
- A flower
- A sprig of willow
- A small piece of cake
- A crust of bread
- The 10 of clubs
- The 9 of hearts
- Ace of spades
- Ace of diamonds
Wrap these in a handkerchief and place it under your pillow.
Say upon going to bed:
Luna, every woman’s friend,
To me thy goodness condescend.
Let me this night in visions see
Emblems of my destiny.
Your dreams will reveal your future:
- If you dream of storms – it means coming trouble
- If the storms end – a calm fate after strife
- If you dream of a ring or the ace of diamonds – marriage
- Dreams of bread – a good job
- Dreams of cake – prosperity
- Dreaming about flowers – joy
- Dreaming of a willow – treachery in love
- A dream about spades – death
- A dream about clubs – living in a foreign land
- If you dream of diamonds – money
- If you dream of keys – it means great power
- Birds in your dreams – means many children
- Dreams of geese – more than one marriage
From: Moon Magick
Sew an ounce of Yarrow in a piece of flannel and place it under the pillow before going to bed. Repeat the following words, and you will receive a vision of your future husband or wife:
Thou pretty herb of Venus’ tree,
Thy true name it is Yarrow;
Now who my bosom friend must be,
Pray tell thou me tomorrow.”
From: A Modern Herbal
Yarrow, in the eastern counties of England, is termed Yarroway, and there is a curious mode of divination with its serrated leaf. The inside of the nose is tickled by the leaf while the following lines are spoken. If the operation causes the nose to bleed, it is a certain omen of success:
Yarroway, Yarroway, bear a white blow,
If my love love me, my nose will bleed now.”
Found in: A Modern Herbal