I braid this knot, this knot I braid,
To know the think I know not yet,
That while I sleep I plain may see
The man (woman) that shall husband (wife) be,
not in his (her) best but worst array,
Just what he (she) weareth every day,
That I tomorrow may him (her) ken
From among all other men.
From: Moon Magick
New Moon New Moon,
Star in the stream,
Pray tell my fortune
In my dream.
Pale Moon doth rain
Red Moon doth blow
White Moon doth neither rain nor snow
From Moon Magick
Pick some yarrow at the time of the New Moon. Put it under your pillow and say before going to sleep:
Good night fair yarrow,
Thrice good night to thee.
I hope before tomorrow’s dawn
My true love I shall see.
From: Moon Magick
- A key
- A ring
- A flower
- A sprig of willow
- A small piece of cake
- A crust of bread
- The 10 of clubs
- The 9 of hearts
- Ace of spades
- Ace of diamonds
Wrap these in a handkerchief and place it under your pillow.
Say upon going to bed:
Luna, every woman’s friend,
To me thy goodness condescend.
Let me this night in visions see
Emblems of my destiny.
Your dreams will reveal your future:
- If you dream of storms – it means coming trouble
- If the storms end – a calm fate after strife
- If you dream of a ring or the ace of diamonds – marriage
- Dreams of bread – a good job
- Dreams of cake – prosperity
- Dreaming about flowers – joy
- Dreaming of a willow – treachery in love
- A dream about spades – death
- A dream about clubs – living in a foreign land
- If you dream of diamonds – money
- If you dream of keys – it means great power
- Birds in your dreams – means many children
- Dreams of geese – more than one marriage
From: Moon Magick
It is said that if you eat a salted herring on Halloween night just before you sleep, you will be visited by your future husband or wife. He or she will come to offer you water and quench your thirst, in your dream.
Found at: I Love India
“when the sleeper is temporarily in the primeval ocean of Nun, and he awakens in a dream, he finds himself within the confines of the farworld, and able to interact with the other inhabitants.”
~ Ancient Egyptian Text
Oneiromancy is a form of divination based upon dreams; it is a system of dream interpretation that uses dreams to predict the future. Carl Jung later focused this idea and formed theories, experiments, and terminology around oneiromancy.
Dream divination has been with us for as long as humans have been dreaming. Here are just a few examples:
- Dating from the Third Dynasty of Ur (circa 2100 BC), the Epic of Gilgamesh is often regarded as the earliest surviving great work of literature. This book reflects heavily on the belief that our ancients looked to our dreams to predict, roughly, our future, by his persistence to sleep on things and gather information from his dreams before making decisions.
- A unique example of a book of dream-interpretation survives from pre-Hellenistic Egypt, the “Ramesside Dream-Book.” Copied under the reign of Ramses II, the surviving fragments were collected and translated into English by Kasia Szpakowska.
- Dreams occur throughout the Bible as omens or messages from God
- Dream divination was a common feature of Greek and Roman religion and literature of all genres. Aristotle and Plato discuss dreams in various works. The only surviving Greco-Roman dreambook, the Oneirocritica was written by Artemidorus. He suggests that dreams are unique to the individual, and that a person’s waking life will affect the symbols in his dreams. He shows awareness of the dreaming mind’s capacity to use metaphors in its messages.
- In the Arabic tradition, dreams about specific numbers or about reading specific chapters of the Qurʼan are among the chief subjects of prognostication. The most renowned of the Arabic texts of oneiromancy is the Great Book of Interpretation of Dreams.
Found in: Encyclopaedia of Superstitions, Folklore,
and the Occult Sciences of the World
- Throwing The Bones In bone divination, bones of various sorts are ritually tosse...
- Shagai – Throwing The Bones Shagai refers to the astragalus of the ankle of a sheep or go...
- Ask The Fortune Teller Welcome to my Ask The Fortune Teller page. She is open for bus...
- Methods of Divination There are so many methods of divination, that I think it can ...
- The Zulu Bone Casting Tradition I found the following post while browsing the Magic Cafe Forums...
- Onomancy Onomancy comes from the Greek onoma (name), and manteia (prop...
- Taromancy – What is it? Taromancy is the art of divination through the use of Tarot c...
- Russian Bath House Oracle This Russian New Year's Eve women's divination ritual foretel...
- Nephomancy – What is it? Nephomancy or Nephelomancy is divination by studying clouds...
- Divination by Chicken Bones Divination by Chicken Bones is a tradition among the Kammu in...