Notarikon (Hebrew: נוטריקון Noṭariqōn) is a method of deriving a word, by using each of its initial (Hebrew: ראשי תיבות) or final letters (סופי תיבות) to stand for another, to form a sentence or idea out of the words. Another variation uses the first and last letters, or the two middle letters of a word, in order to form another word. The word “notarikon” is borrowed from the Greek language (νοταρικόν)), and was derived from the Latin word “notarius” meaning “shorthand writer.”
Notarikon is one of the three ancient methods used by the Kabbalists (the other two are gematria and temurah) to rearrange words and sentences. These methods were used in order to derive the esoteric substratum and deeper spiritual meaning of the words in the Bible. Notarikon was also used in alchemy.
Here is an example:
First — write out your goal using as few words as possible; yet, keeping the focus clear. Here are a few examples:
- Answers come easily to me = ACETM if just using the first letter of each word.
- Psychic ability is my gift = PCAYISMYGT if using the first and last letters in each word.
- Wisdom is within me = DOISTHME if using the two middle letters in each word.
- I Understand What To Do = IUWTD if just using the first letter of each word
- The Path Ahead Becomes Clear = TEPHADBSCR if using the first and last letters in each word.
- Clarity Comes Quickly = AROMIC if using the two middle letters in each word.
The letters become a sigil of power that you can use in a variety of magickal applications. Only you know what the letters stand for; therefore, no one can destroy your intent with doubt. (Except you, of course.)
This type of sigil works well with other images. For example, you may wish to draw a circle around the letters and add pictures, other sigils such as an Ankh (life), a Pentacle (protection), or the Six-Rayed Star (manifestation). You may prefer to use appropriate colors in your design. Remember to write your full name on the reverse side of the talisman.
Your next step is to empower your Notarikon, and here are the guidelines (which of course, can be changed depending upon your training and your belief system):
- Always include and say aloud divinity during the activation.
- Always say aloud precisely what you desire and the power you are calling on.
- Always include and say aloud the element or elements pertaining to the request. (Example: By the Power of Great and Mighty Mars, Element of Fire…)
If you are a Pisces, or doing this ritual when the Sun or Moon is in Pisces, you can call upon the Spirit of the Universe (you can change this), by the power of Jupiter (which rules Pisces) and the element of Water. (Pisces’ element is water). Alternatively, you could call upon the power of The Invincible Sun and the element of Fire… etc. Think about this, and make it your own.
A Basic Ritual:
- Cleanse and create sacred space.
- Cast a circle if you like.
- Create your talisman.
- Bless it with a dab of holy water or oil.
- Call upon the Spirit of the Universe, by the power of (your choice) to: insert your desire here.
- As you do this, rub the talisman in your hands, then begin blowing on it softly, running the energy from the field of potential around you into the talisman.
- Rock back and forth if you like.
- Let the experience be free flowing.
- When you are finished (you’ve lost the thought), draw an equal-armed cross on the talisman to seal it and announce that it is sealed.
- Carry the talisman with you, place under a candle for further empowerment, or put in a conjuring bag until you desire has manifested.
- If you have called upon the element of water for assistance, when it is time to deactivate the talisman, put it under running water, see the light in your mind that is around the talisman dissipate, and then throw it away. For the element of fire, you might burn the talisman… etc.
- Throwing The Bones In bone divination, bones of various sorts are ritually tosse...
- Shagai – Throwing The Bones Shagai refers to the astragalus of the ankle of a sheep or go...
- Ask The Fortune Teller Welcome to my Ask The Fortune Teller page. She is open for bus...
- Methods of Divination There are so many methods of divination, that I think it can ...
- The Zulu Bone Casting Tradition I found the following post while browsing the Magic Cafe Forums...
- Onomancy Onomancy comes from the Greek onoma (name), and manteia (prop...
- Taromancy – What is it? Taromancy is the art of divination through the use of Tarot c...
- Russian Bath House Oracle This Russian New Year's Eve women's divination ritual foretel...
- Nephomancy – What is it? Nephomancy or Nephelomancy is divination by studying clouds...
- Notarikon Notarikon (Hebrew: נוטריקון Noṭariqōn) is a method of derivi...