- Planet: Venus
- Element: Water
- Symbolism: Love and Trust, Health, Garden Magick
- Stone: Emerald, Rose Quartz
- Birds: Grosbeak
- Color: Yellow-Green, Pink
- Deity: Demeter, Hera, Pomona, Frigga, Freya
- Folk Names: Fruit of the Gods, Fruit of the Underworld, Silver Branch, The Silver Bough, Tree of Love
- Magickal Uses: Love spells, Love Divination, Healing spells, Libations, Offerings, Wand creation, Poppet Magick, and Sachet or Potpourri Magick.
The forbidden fruit yields much power. Cut it in half horizontal to the stem to reveal the witches’ pentagram. A secret way to let someone know that you are a witch is to cut an apple crosswise to show the formation of the seeds in a star shape.
Apples are a food of love. Give an apple to a lover as a present, cut it in half and eat on half while your lover eats his or hers. Alternatively, offer a bite to a prospective lover. If he or she accepts, you will begin a love affair. Twist the stem of an apple while calling out the letters of the alphabet. The letter you call out as the stem breaks will be the first letter of the name of your true love. Rub apple oil or fragrance on red candles to bring true love. Leave an offering of an apple under a tree for Venus and make a request for love.
- Red apples are for love.
- Golden apples for fame and popularity
- Green apples for prosperity
Apple is a great wood for a magickal wand. It is a favorite witch tree. The fruit is used at Mabon and Samhain, and for love spells. Eating an apple opens the gateway into other realms, most often faeryland. It provides illumination and the gaining of knowledge. Dreaming of apples symbolizes prosperity and the good life.
Use apple cider in place of blood or wine if they are called for in old magickal spells and rites. Apples can also be used in place of a poppet.
At Samhain, winning the game of bobbing for apples meant that you would be blessed by the Goddess for a year. Since apples were symbols of Avalon, capturing one from the water represented crossing to the holy isle. The apple is also considered one of the foods of the dead, so they are often piled high on Samhain altars, for Samhain is sometimes known as the “Feast of Apples.”
In 19th Century Lower-Saxon Germany, the first bath water used by a newborn baby was poured over the roots of an apple tree to ensure that the child would have red cheeks, and if it was a girl, large breasts!
Apples and apple blossoms are symbolic of love, healing and immortality. Burn the blossoms as incense, wear as a perfume, and make them into herb candles for a handfasting.
Apples can be used for healing as well. Cut an apple in three pieces, rub each on the sick person’s body, and then bury them. The decaying apple will cure the illness. The same ritual is done with warts.
For fertility, the seeds can be planted in establishing a shrine of trees to Aphrodite or other fertility goddesses. Dried apple seeds can be ground into a powder with a mortar and pestle and used as incense. Apples may be eaten, the juice shared in a chalice ritual cup, or offered as a libation when seeking knowledge through the Tree of Life… an act of calling upon the wisdom from the divine.
Apple Manifestation Spell
Take an apple, a beautiful apple, and then carve a symbol of what you wish on it. This may be a heart, if you desire romance, or you can even write the actual word “LOVE” on it. You can also write a sentence like “I WANT 1000 $” or maybe “I AM HANDSOME” , “I AM HAPPY”, or “I AM A WIZARD”!
Anything you want to be manifested in your life, could be written on the apple. When you are done writing what you wish, take the apple, and start eating it CLOCKWISE. With every bite you take, you get what you desire. Now that you’ve eaten the Apple your wish has already become reality in you.
When you have consumed the apple, you can bury the seeds or you can just toss the core (seeds and all) into a natural environment or wooded area. Now that the rest of the apple is buried or lies on the soil, it will call upon the nature’s force to manifest your desire. Take few minutes to visualize what you have wished for.
Please always remember that when you are visualizing, you should see yourself ALREADY having what you want. Visualize yourself happy in a Marriage, or Rich spending you money on what you desire etc.
Samhain Apple Spell For Love
There is an old Scottish custom of eating an apple on Samhain night while looking into the mirror. Legend says that you will see your true love reflected there. A Victorian Halloween card states the following verse:
On Halloween look in the glass,
Your future husband’s face shall pass.
A modern adaptation of this charm could include standing before the mirror at midnight on Samhain. The new charm will help you to recognize a future or potential love.
Slice the apple crosswise to expose the star-shaped arrangement of seeds inside. Light a tea-light candle and place the apple slices and the candle before the mirror. At midnight, say the following charm three times:
As this Samhain night rushes past,
Reveal to me a love that shall last.
May I know them when next we meet
May our love be both strong and sweet.
Allow the candle to burn out, and the next morning leave the apple pieces outside as an offering to the nature spirits. Pay attention and see who you “meet” within the next thirty days.
Witchy Ways To Use Apples
1. Use apples in tarot spells. Surround the Empress card from the tarot with apple slices (dried or fresh) and leave them on the altar for help with fertility.
2. Pour a libation apple juice to encourage wisdom. In Western lore, apples strongly symbolize knowledge and self-awareness. Pour a libation of apple juice during your next ritual to ask for the gift of insight or to seek help with life decisions.
3. Include apples in spells to avert temptation. Apples may be used in weight loss spells or spells for seekers fighting addictive patterns. Bury an apple with tobacco (or another symbol of vice) and light a candle every night for a full moon cycle to support earnest efforts at breaking negative habits.
4. Toss in cauldron brews for love. Add apples peels to a large pot or cauldron of water with cinnamon, allspice and/or ginger root to infuse your home with romance. Great for date night!
5. Cut an apple in half to find the pentacle. If you cut an apple in half (the “fat way,” not the “tall way,” if that makes sense), you will find a pentacle star in the middle. Press spell ingredients into the flesh or or use it to symbolize earth on an all-natural altar.
6. Make a wand from the wood. Apple branches make gorgeous wands. Leave yours natural, or decorate it with gemstones, shells, sea glass, feathers, ect.
7. Fill a basket of apples and put it on your Samhain or Mabon altar. As the “veil between worlds” thins between Mabon and Samhain, our connection to our ancestors grows closer. Apples symbolize the food of the dead, so leave them on the altar to honor your ancestors and welcome them to “feast with you” during the harvest season.
8. Burn apple blossom incense to enhance your connection to other realms. All parts of the apple are appropriate for inclusion in rituals for heightened awareness, but the dried blossoms make especially convenient loose incense.
9. Include the seeds in protection spells. The bitter seeds of an apple make excellent additions to mojo bags, spells or amulets for protection.
10. Pour apple cider to give life to a newly dug field, or garden.
11. Plant an apple tree your yard to bless your home for prosperity. Apples symbolize abundance and growth, making them the perfect “centerpiece” tree for garden magic. If you live in a climate where apple trees do well and you lucked into a home with land, the commitment of an apple tree to your homestead with bless you for years to come.
12. Use a crabapple, or a cultivated apple if you don’t have crabapples available. If possible, use one that you have hand picked. Carve the initials of the one you love and desire, and your own initials, in a ring around the apple. Bury it in the ground, or commit it to a body of water.
The Lesson of Apple
The apple teaches the lesson of love and faith, generosity and gratitude. Love not just between man and woman but as the driving force behind our existence and the relationships that we share with others; faith both in ourselves and in others; and generosity and trust in the understanding that a heart that is open to give and receive is both the gateway to personal happiness and fulfillment and the key that unlocks the secrets of the Otherworld. The generous apple satisfies body, mind, and spirit, and warns against miserliness, for like attracts like. What we give will be the measure of all we receive.
Leave a Reply
- reyna: Tiwaz Rune Magick
- Azra: Hyssop Magick and Lore
- MoonShyne: Purple Loosestrife Magick and Lore
- Anne lunch: Night-Life-oil-on-panel-painted-by-Carla-Strozzieri
- Vicky Rowden: Holly Magick and Lore