A Song of Cailleach
“Bha da shleagha chaola chatha
air an taobh eile dh’an chaillich
Bha ‘h-aodann dubh-ghorm air dreach a ‘ghuail
‘S a deud cnabadach cnamh-ruadh.
Bha aon suil ghlumach ‘na ceann
Bu luaithe na rionnag gheamhraidh;
Craobh mhineach chas air a ceann
Mar choill inich de ‘n t-seana chrithinn.
There were two slender spears of battle
upon the other side of the carlin
her face was blue-black, of the lustre of coal,
And her bone tufted tooth was like rusted bone.
In her head was one deep pool-like eye
Swifter than a star in winter
Upon her head gnarled brushwood
like the clawed old wood of the aspen root.
Popular Tales of the West Highlands – Vol 3
One Response to A Song of Cailleach
Leave a Reply
- The Fifty Names of Marduk When Babylon became the capital of Mesopotamia, Marduk...
- Invocation To The Dark Mother "We call to thee, Ama, dark Mother; thou to whom a...
- Homeric Hymn of Demeter and Persephone I begin to sing of rich-haired Demeter Semne Thea (Reve...
- The Courtship of Inanna and Damuzi The courtship of Inanna and Dumuzi is one of the oldest...
- Prayer To Selene For Any Operation O three-faced Selene, come to me beloved mistress Gr...
- Prayer to Hekate Sacred flame rise to power We ask Hekate to help us...
- The Folklore of Falling Stars Some scholars speculate, based on common legends betwee...
- The Enuma Elish Simplified This epic is one of the most important sources for unde...
- Jade Rabbit Pounding Medicine The story goes about that three immortals reincarnate...
- The Prayer To Selene For Any Spell “Come to me, O Beloved Mistress, Three-faced Selene;...
- Daniel: How We Survive
- Verona: Invocation To The Dark Mother
- A albershardt: 40a84602173af71121ba20043fc2c250–naive-art-winter-solstice
- asa: The Fifty Names of Marduk
- Rita Stafford_Bones: The Story of King Frost