A Prayer for the World
Let the rain come and wash away
the ancient grudges, the bitter hatreds
held and nurtured over generations.
Let the rain wash away the memory
of the hurt, the neglect.
Then let the sun come out and
fill the sky with rainbows.
Let the warmth of the sun heal us
wherever we are broken.
Let it burn away the fog so that
we can see each other clearly.
So that we can see beyond labels,
beyond accents, gender or skin color.
Let the warmth and brightness
of the sun melt our selfishness.
So that we can share the joys and
feel the sorrows of our neighbors.
And let the light of the sun
be so strong that we will see all
people as our neighbors.
Let the earth, nourished by rain,
bring forth flowers
to surround us with beauty.
And let the mountains teach our hearts
to reach upward to heaven.
By Rabbi Harold Kushner
Leave a Reply
- The Fifty Names of Marduk When Babylon became the capital of Mesopotamia, Marduk...
- Invocation To The Dark Mother "We call to thee, Ama, dark Mother; thou to whom a...
- Prayer To Selene For Any Operation O three-faced Selene, come to me beloved mistress Gr...
- Prayer to Hekate Sacred flame rise to power We ask Hekate to help us...
- Homeric Hymn of Demeter and Persephone I begin to sing of rich-haired Demeter Semne Thea (Reve...
- The Courtship of Inanna and Damuzi The courtship of Inanna and Dumuzi is one of the oldest...
- The Enuma Elish Simplified This epic is one of the most important sources for unde...
- The Folklore of Falling Stars Some scholars speculate, based on common legends betwee...
- Prayer to Cerridwen What follows is a prayer to Cerridwen with the ancient...
- Wu Gang Chopping Laurel Tree If look carefully at the moon in clear nights, one...