The Pure and Blessed Spirits
In the beginning the immortals
who have their homes on Olympos
created the golden generation of mortal people
These lived in Kronos’ time when he
was the king in heaven.
They lived as if they were gods,
and their hearts free from all sorrow,
by themselves, and without hard work or pain;
old age came their way; their hands, their feet
did not alter.
They took their pleasure in festivals,
and lived without troubles.
When they died, it was as if they fell asleep.
All goods were theirs…
Now that the earth has gathered over this generation,
these are called pure and blessed spirits;
they live upon earth,
and are good; they watch over mortal men
and defend them from evil;
they keep watch over lawsuits and hard dealings;
they mantle themselves in dark mist
and wander all over the country;
they bestow wealth; for this right
as of kings was given them…
~Hesiod, Works and Days
Leave a Reply
- Ishtar Visits The Underworld by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Ishtar – The Original Myth by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- The Story of King Frost by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Homeric Hymn of Demeter and Persephone by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment
- Like Rain it Sounded Till it Curved by shirleytwofeathers - No Comment