In Our Bones
We locked up our wisdom into our bones
And swallowed the keys
They sank in our rivers of blood
And we forgot the maps
Because we had to forget the mysteries
To keep them safe.
We wove our hair into brooms
And swept over our paths
And then burned the earth with our rage
We didn’t teach our children
It was the only way to protect them,
But in them we planted seeds, seeds and keys
And told them stories and riddles and songs
With no roots, just tangled threads
That would take years to unwind
Just enough time
For the rains to fall again
And put out the fires
For the dams to break
For the rivers to flood
For the paths to be walked again
For the soil to breathe
And as the old bones crumble
Deep beneath the rubble
We find we’ve always had the keys
Our stories and our maps
Our paths are revealed to some
And the seeds grow again
The threads are unspun
And woven again
Leave a Reply
- The Fifty Names of Marduk When Babylon became the capital of Mesopotamia, Marduk...
- Invocation To The Dark Mother "We call to thee, Ama, dark Mother; thou to whom a...
- Prayer To Selene For Any Operation O three-faced Selene, come to me beloved mistress Gr...
- Prayer to Hekate Sacred flame rise to power We ask Hekate to help us...
- Homeric Hymn of Demeter and Persephone I begin to sing of rich-haired Demeter Semne Thea (Reve...
- The Courtship of Inanna and Damuzi The courtship of Inanna and Dumuzi is one of the oldest...
- The Enuma Elish Simplified This epic is one of the most important sources for unde...
- Prayer to Cerridwen What follows is a prayer to Cerridwen with the ancient...
- The Folklore of Falling Stars Some scholars speculate, based on common legends betwee...
- Wu Gang Chopping Laurel Tree If look carefully at the moon in clear nights, one...