How We Survive
If we are fortunate,
we are given a warning.
there is only the sudden horror,
the wrench of being torn apart;
of being reminded
that nothing is permanent,
not even the ones we love,
the ones our lives revolve around.
Life is a fragile affair.
We are all dancing
on the edge of a precipice,
a dizzying cliff so high
we can’t see the bottom.
One by one,
we lose those we love most
into the dark ravine.
So we must cherish them
We will lose them
or they will lose us
This is certain.
There is no time for bickering.
And their loss
will leave a great pit in our hearts;
a pit we struggle to avoid
during the day
and fall into at night.
unable to accept this loss,
unable to determine
the worth of life without them,
jump into that black pit
spiritually or physically,
hoping to find them there.
And some survive
the barren, empty aching,
the unanswered prayers,
the sleepless nights
when their breath is crushed
under the weight of silence
and all that it means.
Somehow, some survive all that and,
like a flower opening after a storm,
they slowly begin to remember
the one they lost
in a different way…
the irrepressible spirit,
the generous heart,
the way their smile made them feel,
the encouragement they gave
even as their own dreams were dying.
And in time, they fill the pit
with other memories
the only memories that really matter.
We will still cry.
We will always cry.
But with loving reflection
more than hopeless longing.
And that is how we survive.
That is how the story should end.
That is how they would want it to be.
One Response to How We Survive
Leave a Reply
- The Fifty Names of Marduk When Babylon became the capital of Mesopotamia, Marduk...
- Invocation To The Dark Mother "We call to thee, Ama, dark Mother; thou to whom a...
- Homeric Hymn of Demeter and Persephone I begin to sing of rich-haired Demeter Semne Thea (Reve...
- Prayer to Hekate Sacred flame rise to power We ask Hekate to help us...
- The Courtship of Inanna and Damuzi The courtship of Inanna and Dumuzi is one of the oldest...
- Prayer To Selene For Any Operation O three-faced Selene, come to me beloved mistress Gr...
- The Enuma Elish Simplified This epic is one of the most important sources for unde...
- The Folklore of Falling Stars Some scholars speculate, based on common legends betwee...
- Wu Gang Chopping Laurel Tree If look carefully at the moon in clear nights, one...
- Jade Rabbit Pounding Medicine The story goes about that three immortals reincarnate...
- Daniel Knirs: Ask Now Of Death
- shirleytwofeathers: Ask Now Of Death
- Daniel: How We Survive
- Verona: Invocation To The Dark Mother
- A albershardt: 40a84602173af71121ba20043fc2c250–naive-art-winter-solstice