Some day, if you are lucky,
you’ll return from a thunderous journey
trailing snake scales, wing fragments
and the musk of Earth and moon.
Eyes will examine you for signs
of damage, or change
and you, too, will wonder
if your skin shows traces
of fur, or leaves,
if thrushes have built a nest
of your hair, if Andromeda
burns from your eyes.
Do not be surprised by prickly questions
from those who barely inhabit
their own fleeting lives, who barely taste
their own possibility, who barely dream.
If your hands are empty, treasureless,
if your toes have not grown claws,
if your obedient voice has not
become a wild cry, a howl,
you will reassure them. We warned you,
they might declare, there is nothing else,
no point, no meaning, no mystery at all,
just this frantic waiting to die.
And yet, they tremble, mute,
afraid you’ve returned without sweet
elixir for unspeakable thirst, without
a fluent dance or holy language.
~ Geneen Marie Haugen
Leave a Reply
- Counting Coup The act of Counting Coup signifies a victory over an enemy or an accept...
- What is a Vision Quest? A vision quest is a rite of passage, similar to an initiation, in some...
- What a Real Shaman Is I found a great blog post about shamanism at a pretty cool website call...
- Grandfather Sun Grandfather Sun Illumination, Enlightenment, Knowledge Out of t...
- The Song of the Twenty ~Harley SwiftDeer Let me sing to you the Song of the Twenty Powers withi...
- A Shamanic Enlightenment Igluik, an Eskimo shaman describes his shamanic enlightenment: "I en...
- The Spirit of the Corn An Iroquois Legend Adapted by Harriet Maxwell Converse There was a ti...
- Power Animals Power animals are easier to contact than ancient ones. Their voices are...
- The False Face Society The False Face Society is the best known of many medicinal societies am...
- Dreaming The Secret Wishes Of The Soul One of the greatest gifts of dreaming is that it puts us in touch with...
- Khetani Machangana: Learn To See