Some day, if you are lucky,
you’ll return from a thunderous journey
trailing snake scales, wing fragments
and the musk of Earth and moon.
Eyes will examine you for signs
of damage, or change
and you, too, will wonder
if your skin shows traces
of fur, or leaves,
if thrushes have built a nest
of your hair, if Andromeda
burns from your eyes.
Do not be surprised by prickly questions
from those who barely inhabit
their own fleeting lives, who barely taste
their own possibility, who barely dream.
If your hands are empty, treasureless,
if your toes have not grown claws,
if your obedient voice has not
become a wild cry, a howl,
you will reassure them. We warned you,
they might declare, there is nothing else,
no point, no meaning, no mystery at all,
just this frantic waiting to die.
And yet, they tremble, mute,
afraid you’ve returned without sweet
elixir for unspeakable thirst, without
a fluent dance or holy language.
~ Geneen Marie Haugen
Leave a Reply
- What a Real Shaman Is I found a great blog post about shamanism at a pretty cool website call...
- Counting Coup The act of Counting Coup signifies a victory over an enemy or an accept...
- The False Face Society The False Face Society is the best known of many medicinal societies am...
- Ode To Counting Coup To know that I have honored My words with my deeds, Sweet victory is sh...
- The Story of Cedar “A long time ago, there lived a human being who always went out of his...
- The Promise of a Shaman If you come to me as a victim I will not support you. But I will have...
- The Story of True-Hearted Woman True-Hearted Woman lived with her husband on an island in an archipelag...
- Dreaming the Secret Wishes of the Soul One of the greatest gifts of dreaming is that it puts us in touch with...
- Power Animals Power animals are easier to contact than ancient ones. Their voices are...
- What is a Vision Quest? A vision quest is a rite of passage, similar to an initiation, in some...
- Khetani Machangana: Learn To See