Some day, if you are lucky,
you’ll return from a thunderous journey
trailing snake scales, wing fragments
and the musk of Earth and moon.
Eyes will examine you for signs
of damage, or change
and you, too, will wonder
if your skin shows traces
of fur, or leaves,
if thrushes have built a nest
of your hair, if Andromeda
burns from your eyes.
Do not be surprised by prickly questions
from those who barely inhabit
their own fleeting lives, who barely taste
their own possibility, who barely dream.
If your hands are empty, treasureless,
if your toes have not grown claws,
if your obedient voice has not
become a wild cry, a howl,
you will reassure them. We warned you,
they might declare, there is nothing else,
no point, no meaning, no mystery at all,
just this frantic waiting to die.
And yet, they tremble, mute,
afraid you’ve returned without sweet
elixir for unspeakable thirst, without
a fluent dance or holy language.
~ Geneen Marie Haugen
Leave a Reply
- Counting Coup The act of Counting Coup signifies a victory over an enemy or an accept...
- What a Real Shaman Is I found a great blog post about shamanism at a pretty cool website call...
- The Return Some day, if you are lucky, you’ll return from a thunderous journey tra...
- The False Face Society The False Face Society is the best known of many medicinal societies am...
- Power Animals Power animals are easier to contact than ancient ones. Their voices are...
- Seeking A Vision In their traditional system, Ojibwa children are guarded by a spiritual...
- La Loba There is an old woman who lives in a hidden place that everyone knows in...
- What is a Vision Quest? A vision quest is a rite of passage, similar to an initiation, in some...
- Presenting An Infant To The Sun Now this is the day. Our child, Into the daylight You will go out stan...
- Being Pagan "When one defines oneself as Pagan, it means she or he follows an earth...
- Khetani Machangana: Learn To See