Igluik, an Eskimo shaman describes his shamanic enlightenment:
“I endeavored to become a shaman by the help of others; but in this I did not succeed. I visited many famous shamans, and gave them great gifts… I sought solitude, and here I soon became very melancholy. I would sometimes fall to weeping, and feel unhappy without knowing why.
Then, for no reason, all would suddenly be changed, and I felt a great inexplicable joy, a joy so powerful that I could not restrain it, but had to break into song, a mighty song, with only room for the one word: joy. Joy! And I had to use the full strength of my voice. And then in the midst of such a fit of mysterious and overwhelming delight I became a shaman, not knowing myself how it came about. But I was a shaman.
I could see and hear in a totally different way. I had gained my quamanEq, my enlightenment, the shaman-light of brain and body, and this in such a manner that it was not only I who could see through the darkness of life but the same sight also shone out from me, imperceptible to human beings, but visible to all the spirits of earth and sky and sea, and these now came to me and became my helping spirits.”
~From The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner
In the very earliest of times,
When both people and animals lived on the earth,
A person could become an animal if he wanted to
And an animal could become a human being.
Sometimes they were people
And sometimes animals
And there was no difference.
All spoke the same language.
That was a time when words were like magic.
The human mind had mysterious powers.
A word spoken by chance
Might have strange consequences.
It would suddenly become alive
And what people said wanted to happen
Could happen ~
All you had to do was say it
Nobody could explain this:
That’s the way it was.
~An Old Eskimo story
- The False Face Society The False Face Society is the best known of many medicinal societies am...
- Counting Coup The act of Counting Coup signifies a victory over an enemy or an accept...
- What a Real Shaman Is I found a great blog post about shamanism at a pretty cool website call...
- Ode To Counting Coup To know that I have honored My words with my deeds, Sweet victory is sh...
- Grandfather Sun Grandfather Sun Illumination, Enlightenment, Knowledge Out of t...
- A Shamanic Enlightenment Igluik, an Eskimo shaman describes his shamanic enlightenment: "I en...
- Dreaming The Secret Wishes Of The Soul One of the greatest gifts of dreaming is that it puts us in touch with...
- What is a Vision Quest? A vision quest is a rite of passage, similar to an initiation, in some...
- The Shamanic Journey The Shamanic journey starts when we begin to live what we have grasped...
- The Spirit of the Corn An Iroquois Legend Adapted by Harriet Maxwell Converse There was a ti...
- Khetani Machangana: Learn To See