If you enjoyed the dot-to-dot Ganesh, this will be even more fun. I found a bunch of different Ganesh coloring pages, and have uploaded them into a photo gallery. I think they are large enough to print and color, and if you have an app on your phone that allows such a thing, that’s fun too!
The materials needed are:
- Paper mache
- Latex or other water-based paint in a variety of colors
- Gold-leaf or metallic gold paint
- Paint brushes
- Sand paper
- Putty or joint compound
- Miscellaneous ornaments and cloth for dressing the image
- Replicas of the various implements he will be holding
- Mix paper mache to a firm but homogeneously wet consistency.
- Make an armature (skeleton) of wood, Styrofoam, or similar material.
- Create the image by covering the armature with paper mache.
- Make implements for each hand and make sure they can be inserted and glued later when the image is dry
- Brush the exterior smooth with a wet brush.
- Let the image dry in a cool place, away from the sunlight. (Drying time is usually one month for every foot in height for a clay image, three weeks for paper mache.)
- When dry, sand with coarse, then fine sandpaper
- Fill cracks with putty or joint compound.
- Sand again
- Apply a white primer and sand with very fine sandpaper.
- Make the image dust-free.
- Paint the torso, head, trunk, and limbs
- Use red paint and a fine brush for the Aum, swastika, and other – symbols.
- Paint, decorate, and/or assemble the various implements
- Place appropriate dress (traditionally white or red silk) upon the image.
- Glue the implements into the hands
- Decorate the image with ornaments, flowers, etc.
adapted from Loving Ganesa
by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami
An alternative method can be explored with this visual tutorial from Hobby Ideas:
- A Ganesha Road Opener Ritual If you are seeking new opportunities and wish to break...
- Prayers To Ganesh Here is an assortment of prayers for specific s...
- Other Ganesh Mantras Aum Shri Ganeshaya Namah. This is the mantra o...
- Awaken Shakti With The Ganesh Mantra Here’s some info from Mind Body Green: This is m...
- How a Mouse Became Ganesha's Vehicle Gajmukhasur was a demon who was a devotee of Lord Shi...
- Sixteen Names of Ganesha If you recite and/or listen to these sixteen names at t...
- The Ganesh Mudra The Ganesha Mudra is a powerful hand lock which, wh...
- Ganesha Road Opener Blend Fill a small bottle with equal parts of the followi...
- Lord Ganesha's Tools Shankha Conch Ganesha listens to the puja con...
- The 1000 Names of Lord Ganesha Sri Ganesha Sahasranamavali The video is a chant of...