The summer is a very appropriate time to experiment with hydrosols, washing your intimate apparel, silks, and scarves in the gentle essences of blossoms. Here’s how:
Fill a basin 2/3 full of spring water. Add 1/4 cup soapwort infusion (soapwort is used traditionally for valuable textiles ~ but any mild soap will do as long as it is safe for use on the fabrics you are washing).
Next add 1 cup of your favorite hydrosol. Swish clothing in this water gently to work up lather. Soak 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse. Hang up to dry.
Qualities of the three most popular hydrosols to consider:
- Lavender is relaxing and unisex.
- Neroli builds confidence in sexuality, and helps with recovery from embarrassment.
- Rose lends energy, is stimulating, and aids the adventurous spirit.
From: Four Seasons of Mojo
The sweet citrusy scents of Tangerine and Bergamot combine with the clean, fresh scent of Spearmint in this room spray. The aroma reminds me of spending a warm summer day on the beach surrounded by the cool, refreshing ocean air. The result is an air freshener that’s both uplifting and energizing.
To make room spray:
- Fill 8 oz glass spray bottle about 3/4 full with distilled water
- Fill most of the rest of the way full with witch hazel
- 15 drops Spearmint essential oil
- 15 drops Tangerine essential oil
- 10 drops Bergamot essential oil
- Put on sprayer top and shake well to mix
To use: Shake bottle gently before each use. Spray into the air to freshen room. Use as often as needed.
Source: One Essential Community
Almost anyone can enjoy the benefits of an aromatherapy oil, but certain individuals, such as pregnant women, persons with allergies, and those with respiratory conditions such as asthma should only use essential oils for aromatherapy under the guidance of a trained professional.
Keep in mind that essential oils are highly concentrated botanical extracts and should never be ingested or applied to skin at full strength. Consult a professional aromatherapist or an accredited reference on aromatherapy for advice on these uses.