I love the sun when it appears,
since it reminds me of the appearance of matchless love
And no star is seen when she comes forth,
either from above or from below
And so, O Maya,
you have appeared in the eye of my heart,
and everything other than you has disappeared
So I see you in whatever is not you,
and I don’t see other than you whenever I see you.
—Shaykh Manna Abba “Shaykhānī” wuld Muḥammad al-Ṭulbā, (modified from the translation by Muṣṭafā Okon-Briggs)
All this time
The Sun never says to the Earth,
"You owe me."
With a love like that,
It lights the whole sky.
The Sufis often begin something new by breathing the Arabic word bismillah, which can be translated poetically:
We begin by remembering
the sound and feeling of the One Being,
the wellspring of love.
We affirm that the next thing we experience
shimmers with the light of the whole universe.
the clouds of love have gathered,
raining over me,
my soul soaked within,
green woods around.
do not be proud,
seeing your mansion.
tomorrow you will lie beneath the earth,
tufts of grass over you.
those who do not love God
know no joy –
like a guest in an empty house,
they come and depart.
Your God dwells within you
like fragrance in the flower,
musk lies within the deer,
yet seeks it afar.
Worlds pass away reading scriptures,
none the wiser.
he who understands the word `Love’
is the wise one.
The Hindu says Ram is supreme
the Muslim, Rahim.
both die fighting each other,
neither knowing the Truth.
Remembering You ever
egoless, I have merged with You.
no more the cycle of births and deaths,
wherever the eye goes I see You.
Brimming with devotion to God I am.
this world tires me no more.
a pitcher once baked, says Kabir,
needs no potter’s wheel again.
- A Sufi Dandelion Story Mulla Nasrudin decided to start a flower garden. He...
- Elephant Wondering ELEPHANT WONDERING A seed Has sprouted beneath a go...
- Clouds of Love Says Kabir: the clouds of love have gathered, rai...
- Tired of Speaking Sweetly Tired of Speaking Sweetly Love wants to reach out an...
- The Seeker and the Sufi A seeker journeyed to a far village in search of a...
- A Sufi Story about Competition Once upon a time, a sultan set up a competition wit...
- Raising Donkeys Driven by the need to achieve, we often ignore and over...
- The Trees and The Bees There was once a forest of trees, which lived a mag...
- In A Handful Of God Poetry reveals that there is no empty space. When...
- The Seed of God The seed of God is in us. Now... The seed of a pear...