Spiritual experience is a modest woman
who looks lovingly at only one man.
It's a great river where ducks
live happily, and crows drown.
The visible bowl of form contains food
that is both nourishing and a source of heartburn.
There is an unseen presence we honor
that gives the gifts.
You're water. We're the millstone.
You're wind. We're dust blown up into shapes.
You're spirit. We're the opening and closing
of our hands. You're the clarity.
We're this language that tries to say it.
You're joy. We're all the different kinds of laughing.
Any movement or sound is a profession of faith,
as the millstone grinding is explaining how it believes
in the river! No metaphor can say this,
but I can't stop pointing
to the beauty.
Every moment and place says,
"Put this design in your carpet!"
Like the shepherd in Book II,
who wanted to pick the lice off God's robe,
and stitch up God's shoes, I want to be
in such a passionate adoration
that my tent gets pitched against the sky!
Let the beloved come
and sit like a guard dog
in front of the tent.
When the ocean surges,
don't let me just hear it.
Let it splash inside my chest!
Find Something Inspiring
- A Sufi Dandelion Story Mulla Nasrudin decided to start a flower garden. He pre...
- The Sufi Greeting The ancient Sufi's believed that the only way to really...
- Tired of Speaking Sweetly Tired of Speaking Sweetly Love wants to reach out and...
- Raising Donkeys Driven by the need to achieve, we often ignore and over...
- Elephant Wondering ELEPHANT WONDERING A seed Has sprouted beneath a gold...
- The Symbols of Rumi German philosopher and theologist, Rudolph Otto draws a...
- No Tigers Here Mullah Nasruddin is both a fool and a wise man. He was...
- Clouds of Love Says Kabir: the clouds of love have gathered, raining...
- A Sufi Story about Competition Once upon a time, a sultan set up a competition with a...
- The Seeker and the Sufi A seeker journeyed to a far village in search of a cert...