Tired of Speaking Sweetly
Love wants to reach out and manhandle us,
Break all our teacup talk of God.
If you had the courage and
Could give the Beloved His choice, some nights,
He would just drag you around the room
By your hair,
Ripping from your grip all those toys in the world
That bring you no joy.
Love sometimes gets tired of speaking sweetly
And wants to rip to shreds
All your erroneous notions of truth
That make you fight within yourself, dear one,
And with others,
Causing the world to weep
On too many fine days.
God wants to manhandle us,
Lock us inside of a tiny room with Himself
And practice His dropkick.
The Beloved sometimes wants
To do us a great favor:
Hold us upside down
And shake all the nonsense out.
But when we hear
He is in such a “playful drunken mood”
Most everyone I know
Quickly packs their bags and hightails it
Out of town.
Rumi from ‘The Gift’
Translated by Daniel Ladinsky
- A Sufi Dandelion Story Mulla Nasrudin decided to start a flower garden. He... posted on January 22, 2017 | under Stories
- The Seeker and the Sufi A seeker journeyed to a far village in search of a ... posted on January 22, 2017 | under Stories
- Hello world! Welcome to Site News. This is your first post. Edit or ... posted on January 20, 2017 | under Miscellaneous
- Elephant Wondering ELEPHANT WONDERING A seed Has sprouted beneath a go... posted on January 20, 2017 | under Poetry
- A Sufi Story about Competition Once upon a time, a sultan set up a competition wit... posted on January 22, 2017 | under Stories
- In A Handful Of God Poetry reveals that there is no empty space. When ... posted on April 25, 2017 | under Poetry
- Clouds of Love Says Kabir: the clouds of love have gathered, rai... posted on January 20, 2017 | under Poetry
- The Trees and The Bees There was once a forest of trees, which lived a mag... posted on January 22, 2017 | under Stories