The Color Indigo
Indigo is a deep midnight blue. It is the color of the night sky lit with stars and it stimulates our psychic
senses. A combination of deep blue and violet, indigo and holds the attributes of both these colors. Indigo
has a power and depth that goes beyond lighter shades of blue.
While blue is quieting and cooling, indigo is sedating. In a depressed state, indigo is to be avoided as it can
easily deepen the mood. Indigo is a slight narcotic removing fears and reassures those afraid of the dark.
Indigo symbolizes a mystical borderland of wisdom, self-mastery and spiritual realization. While blue is the
color of communication with others, indigo turns the blue inward, to increase personal thought, profound
insights, and instant understandings. While blue can be fast, Indigo is almost instantaneous. Inventors use
indigo skills for inspirations that seem to 'come out of the blue'.
Indigo is the shade that corresponds to the third eye, which has an unfathomable depth to it. It is a shade
much loved by stained glass artists to evoke the Divine in their church windows. The light shining through this
darkest shade of blue is designed to awaken a feeling of reverence and wonder at the majesty and vastness
of God. As symbol of the Mystic Borderland, it has to do with spiritual attainment and self-mastery, wisdom
Indigo is a sedative and it helps to open up our intuition. The colour of divine knowledge and the higher mind.
It promotes deep concentration during times of introspection and meditation, helping you to achieve deeper
levels of consciousness. Not suitable for areas for entertainment but for more 'quiet' places. Bedrooms or
treatment rooms for example. Some people find indigo is helpful for studying so this colour could be used as
part of the decor of a library or study
Indigo is stimulating and regenerating to mind and soul, and is one of the rays of the future race-
consciousness, extending the inner vision and opening up new fields of comprehension and knowledge. This
is the vibration on a parallel to a power in us which knows when and how to put on the brakes. Thus the
mental effects of its usual activity are concentration, poise and deliberation, suggested by the expression
Deep blue, like the deep blue of the ocean, carries a sense of unknown mysteries. To be prepared to accept
that not everything is measurable and explainable is necessary for your spiritual development. This is the
nature of indigo, to encourage you to embrace the unknowable. There is far more to this Universe than that
which can be measured, explained and classified.
Healing with the color indigo:
* Good for emotional problems, deafness, and especially good for the eyes, even cataracts.
* It has a cooling and purifying effect, and is used as an astringent or antiseptic.
* It is a slightly stimulating color, containing a little red.
* Can halt tissue degeneration, and clear skin eruptions; or be used for the clean healing of skin
eruptions or wounds.
* Indigo is one of the best pain killers. It is a safe neutral anesthetic, its anesthetic effect brought
about by causing a hypnotic condition in which the patient is insensitive to pain while fully conscious.
* Heals the etheric body and etheric template, it is deeply healing and affects all senses.
* Treatments for bone problems.
* Strengthens the pituitary gland.
* Use for sinus problems, head colds and mental illness, emotional hurt, diseases of the ears and nose,
eyes and vision problems, insomnia, removing fear.
* An astringent and purifier, use for headache but only in small doses as too much can actually give
some people headaches.
* Can help open communication and clear up confusion, any condition involving the blood, varicose veins,
boils, ulcers, and bruising.
* Can help with transition and ease dying.
* Lower blood pressure, chest complaints, back pain, reduce swellings and treatment of growths, lumps,
tumors of any kind, kidney problems, overactive thyroid.
* Indigo is also used to enhance psychic awareness and clarity of divination.
Ways to integrate indigo:
* Spend time outside on a cloudless night to admire the stars. This is awakening for the third eye and
fills one with a sense of wonder at the immensity of the Universe.
* Fill a dark blue bottle with spring water and allow the rays of the Sun to fall on it over a couple of
hours. You can then drink it, or keep it cool and drink up within the next few days.
When indigo is out of balance:
Deficiency: Its deficiency might indicate eccentricity or rashness of behavior, aimless dreaming, or
weakening of the body structure.
Excess: Too much indigo tends to increase fearfulness and caution, or poisons caused by retention of
waste in body. This color in its relation to the lower end of the spine has to do with functions which
excrete waste from the body.
Choosing indigo as a favorite color indicates that you are an excellent communicator and very artistic
and creative. Though you like the company of people you are very happy in your own company. You are
both thoughtful and deep thinking and can relate to others easily. You have a unique insight and are very
open to new knowledge.
Indigo is thought to be incredibly powerful in allowing psychic abilities and connection with Spirit to be
enhanced. Wearing clothes of this indigo colour will help you communicate better with yourself, and it
can help you meditate and enhance your intuition. Try decorating your home or just enjoying this colour
within nature too.
Put some indigo in your life when:
* you want to focus on personal issues, beliefs and ideas
* have a desire to develop your intuition
* there is a need to cool and quiet normal mental processes
* you have a need to relieve physical, mental, or emotional pain.
* you would like to step outside of everyday life for a new and interesting way of viewing a problem
* you would like to increase inner communication
* you have an inability or difficulty in assimilating and understanding new concepts or philosophies
* you have a need for space and a desire for a period of solitude.
* Do not use for depression
Questions to ask when drawn to indigo:
* Is there a need for peace and time on your own?
* What are you so close to that you cannot see clearly what is happening?
Foods and suppliments that work in an indigo way:
* Herbs with a sedative effect
* Blue foods, violet and purple foods, eggplant
Indigo essential oils:
* Lavender, Rosemary, Tonka
Indigo crystals and stones:
* Indigo gemstones open the door to the subconscious, symbolizing the bridge between the finite and
infinite. They are used as a guide to cosmic knowledge.
* Deepest blue and gold were used together in Ancient Egypt to connect those in positions of spiritual
authority to the Gods. The Egyptians used lapis lazuli extensively and those who connect to those times
are often drawn to lapis now. With its flecks of golden pyrite gazing upon a good quality piece of lapis is
like looking at the starry heavens.
* If you wish to develop your psychic awareness then indigo is the color to work with. As well as lapis
you can use the cheaper stone sodalite which is readily available. Covellite and deep blue azurite are also
excellent third eye stones.
* Indigo, sapphire, lapis lazuli, azurite, sodalite.