The Evolution of Reiki
The Usui System of Natural Healing has evolved over time. In its current state it is much more organized and structured than the simple, flexible, intuitive method practiced by Dr. Usui.
The following is a description of the evolution of the Usui System of Reiki:
- During his mystical experience on Mt. Kurama, Dr. Usui received the ability to do Reiki treatments, the Reiki symbols, and the ability to pass Reiki on to others.
- Later he added the Reiki Ideals and the idea that one needs to receive compensation for a treatment.
- Dr. Hayashi added the standard hand positions, the three drees and the attunement processses.
- Mrs. Takata added the fee structure.
- The required waiting periods between classes were added by several of Mrs. Takata’s Masters after she passed on.
After Mrs. Takata’s transition, a few teachers began making changes in the way they taught Reiki. Most of the changes were beneficial, and included the addition of knowledge and healing skills the teachers had learned from other systems or had acquired from inner guidance.
However, some changes were restrictive, making it more difficult for students to progress. Some took the Third Degree and divided it into several small parts, calling each new part a new Degree and charging additional money.
Often, the fact that the Usui system had been modified was not mentioned and when their students became teachers, they began teaching what they thought was pure Usui Reiki when in fact it was not. In this way, many varieties of Reiki have developed with some thinking they have the only authentic version of Reiki when actually what they are teaching is a modified form.
For my sources see: Recommended Reading