Well, day one of finding my inner Ranger has gone pretty well, I think. I have an idea that this could possibly be the one year when I actually succeed in my quest to “be” who I want to be. But I dunno… it’s just the first day. I’m posting a clip from Lord of the Rings to give me some inspiration and some umph… especially when I just want to sit around and eat cookies… here it is:
I think it’s really interesting how I’ve decided NOT to be Aragorn AGAIN since I’ve finally come to the conclusion that I will never succeed with that idea… and yet here I am thinking I can be who? a ranger? is that what I’m calling him now? a ranger? and in my head, am I really thinking Strider? and when I think Strider am I really seeing Aragorn? and what video am I playing? who is that cool guy? and why do I always want to be the guy and not the girl in the movie?? So we’ll see what happens…
I did think it would be a good idea to come up with a “how to be a ranger” list – and here is my first draft:
- Get up in the morning and take hold of the day.
- If something needs doing – do it. Don’t sit around wishing someone else would do it for you.
- When the going gets tough, the tough get going – that does not mean they go to bed… nor does it mean they go to the couch and watch tv.
- I can take out my own trash.
- I can clean up my own messes.
- It’s not going to kill me to be hungry.
- If someone you love dies – be sad, bury them, and then kill something – preferably an Orc or something meaner and more dangerous. The point is – channel your grief into action – the bloodier the better.
- Spend most of your time listening and paying attention to what’s going on around you.
I also think I’m going to have to focus on physical fitness – I wouldn’t have lasted 20 minutes on that trek out of Bree… plus I’m looking at working out a new wardrobe… something to fit my new persona. That will be the fun part – taking on the role – how will it look to be the Ranger Twofeathers – lurking in the shadows… no pipe – but for sure the candle, the cloak, and the ale. Lots of black – and hopefully leather too… how fun!
By the way: This post was migrated from my blogger blog (shirleytwofeathers.blogspot.com) and was first published on 1/2/12.