It is smart to eat fish, especially fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, mackerel, herring and tuna, at least two or three times a week. Research shows that eating just an ounce of fish a day may help restore our cells to healthy functioning, saving countless people from disability and premature death.
Here is a list of disorders that fish oil may alleviate or prevent:
- Rheumatoid arthritis – Reduces joint pain, soreness, stiffness, fatigue.
- Heart attacks – Cuts the odds of subsequent heart attacks by one third.
- Clogged arteries – Keeps arteries open and clear. Reduces risk of reclosure of arteries after angioplasty surgery by 40 to 50 percent
- High Blood Pressure – Eliminates or reduces the need for pharmaceutical pressure-lowering medications.
- Ulcerative colitis (inflammatory bowel disease) – In one test, eating 4.5 grams of fish oil a day (equal to that in 7 ounces of mackerel) for 8 months depressed disease activity by 56 percent. Another test reduced need for prednisone, a steroid, by one third.
- Psoriasis – Reduces itching, redness, pain in some patients, and cuts the amount of medication needed.
- Multiple Sclerosis – Helps reduce symptoms in some patients.
- Asthma – Curtails attacks in some individuals.
- Migraine Headaches – Lessens severity and frequency in some sufferers.
Here is some great diet advice to keep the cardiologist away:
- The number one advice to keep heart disease away has to be eat more fatty fish, high in omega-3 fatty acids – at least an ounce a day or a fish serving 2 or 3 times a week.
- Also go heavy on garlic, onions and all kinds of other vegetables and fruits to keep plenty of antioxidants in the blood, as well as anticoagulants that protect arteries from clogging.
- Shun fatty animal foods, such as high fat meat and dairy products.
- Use olive oil and canola oil.
- If you drink alcohol, a regular dose of a drink or two a day, especially of wine with meals, may act as antidotes to heart disease, but if you do not already use alcohol, do not start drinking, because the dangers can well outweigh the benefits. If you drink more than two drinks a day, cut down. Heavy drinking harms your heart and your general health and boosts chances of death.
- Restrict coffee to a couple of cups a day if you have heart beat irregularities. There is no known advantage to switching to decaf to prevent heart disease.
Such advice is doubly important if you have already had a cardiovascular problem. “Second-chance diets” can intervene to prevent further damage to arteries, staving off subsequent heart attacks, strokes and other cardiovascular events.
Eating garlic regularly can deter artery-clogging, and more remarkably, even reverse the damage, helping heal your arteries, says Arun Bordia, a cardiologist at Tagore Medical College in India. Dr. Bordia, a pioneering garlic researcher, discovered that feeding garlic to rabbits with 80 percent arterial blockage reduced the degree of blockage, partially restoring the arteries to health.
He then tested garlic on a group of 432 heart-disease patients, most recovering from heart attacks. Half the group are two or three fresh raw or cooked garlic cloves every day for three years. They squeezed the garlic into juice, put in in milk as a “morning tonic” or ate it boiled or minced. The other half ate no garlic. After the first year, there was no difference in the rate of heart attacks between the groups.
In the second year, however, deaths among the garlic eaters dropped by 50 percent and in the third year, they sank 66 percent! Nonfatal heart attacks also declined 30 percent the second year and 60 percent the third year. Further, blood pressure and blood cholesterol in the garlic eaters fell about 10 percent. Garlic eaters also had fewer attacks of angina – chest pain. There were no significant cardiovascular changes in the non-garlic eaters.
Dr. Bordia suggests that, over time, steady infusions of garlic both wash away some of the arterial plaque and prevent future damage. Garlic’ main weapon is probably a conglomeration of antioxidants. Garlic is said to possess at least 15 different antioxidants that may neutralize artery-destroying agents.
Note: Cooked garlic was as effective as raw garlic in warding off heart attacks and deaths, according to Dr Bordia.
A Garlic Bonus: The garlic also produced unexpected health benefits. Dr. Bordia said the garlic eaters reported fewer joint pains, body aches and asthmatic tendencies; more vigor, energy and libido; and a better appetite. Particularly impressive was the diminished joint pain in those with osteoarthritis. Five percent dropped out of the study, however, complaining of burning urine, bleeding piles, flatulence and irritability. Eating raw garlic elicited more complaints than eating it cooked.
Source: Food – Your Miracle Medicine
- Ama Pachana Spice Water Drink Ama Pachana Spice Water throughout the day for a ... under Recipes
- Wild Bilberry Sauce Bilberry, or Vaccinium myrtillus, is a true tre... under Wild and Foraged Foods
- Honey Rose Petal Wine 4 quarts fresh rose petals 4 gallons boiling w... under Recipes
- Poppy Seed Sleepy Time Tea Warm and relaxing. Aromatic cardamom balances the g... under Recipes
- Ayurvedic Vata Churna This is a recipe for a Vata Balancing spice mix, used i... under Recipes