Here is a spell that calls upon Ilmatar for increased creativity and spiritual growth:
The Finnish-Ugrian goddess Ilmatar was the virgin daughter of Air. she had immense creative powers, and was known as Water Mother, Daughter of Nature, and Sky Mother. Legends say that she created the world and gave birth to the first great hero, Vainamoinen. This son was a great sorcerer and magician. He invented the zither and was such a superb musician that his playing tamed wild animals. More about Ilmatar can be found here: Ilmatar Finnish Goddess of Creation
Decorate your sacred space with red eggs and flowers. Burn cinnamon incense and a pale green candle. Say:
Teacher of magick and wisdom,
Bestower of knowledge,
Open the door to ritual meaning.
Peace and contentment, I ask of you.
Sit in quiet meditation. Feel yourself riding in a boat on a gentle lake. Beside you is the goddess Ilmatar. Listen carefully to what she says. Talk with her as long as you wish. when you come back say:
Healing, knowledge, mental powers,
All come from your creativity.
Eloquence and self-control
I ask now that you give to me.
Guidance I need and inspiration.
Teachers send with motives true.
I desire to learn, to expand my mind.
For these gifts, Ilmatar, I do thank you.
From Moon Magick
Eclipses are opportunities for major transformation; this is a time when the energies of the lunations are more amplified and focused.
Solar eclipses always occur on the New Moon, and Lunar eclipses occur on the Full Moon. The eclipses reflect the lunation they correspond to, but they’re much more intense and their effects are more long-lasting, so it is a powerful time for rituals of transformation and release.
For the Eclipse Meditation Ritual you will need:
- a white candle
- purified or spring water
- small pieces of paper and pen
Take a ritual bath (add hyssop and lavender if you have it, salt if you do not) and visualize yourself releasing any blocks and fears, and affirm that you are ready to take yourself to the next level, and face the truth with an open heart and mind.
After your bath, sit in front of your altar, and do some basic grounding and rhythmic breathing. (You can ground by imagining your spine growing roots that grow down into the earth, and with each inhale, breathe in the energy from the core of the Earth… with each exhale, release anything you need to release, i.e. fears, doubt, sadness, apathy, etc. The earth can turn almost anything into fertilizer, so transform your “negatives” into something you can use!)
Drumming is a great way to get you in the correct meditational state as well… one of the fastest ways to reach alpha state is to follow the tempo of the heartbeat with your drum.
Pour the salt into the water, and clear yourself with it by lightly sprinkling yourself and anointing yourself with it.
Light your candle. Meditate on the symbolism of the flame, that fire transforms and illuminates, and stare into the flame for a while, and ask for clarity and truth during this eclipse cycle. Give yourself permission to release any and all thought forms that no longer serve your highest good. Ask the following:
- What area of my life needs some new ideas and a fresh perspective?
Write it down on a small piece of paper, and create an affirmation supporting your new goal.
- How can I break through restrictive “safe” constructs, to be fully alive and, like the Phoenix, be reborn thru transformation?
Write it down on a small piece of paper, and create an affirmation supporting your new goal.
Save those pieces of paper for later.
Write down on the remaining pieces of paper (one at a time) what keeps you from achieving the goals you are after… focus on it, then say something like:
“All energy is neutral. I now release and transform this energy into an energy source that can be utilized for the highest good for all concerned (or “in the name of Goddess / Universe / God / Creator” etc.)
Burn the paper, focusing on the transformation of the energy.
When you feel like you’re clear, thank the Deities, energies, spirits, guides, angels, etc. you’ve worked with, and bury the ashes in the earth, and imagine your goals for transformation fulfilled. Blessed Be.
The use of symbols can sometimes help make a spell more powerful… let your imagination guide you as you set up your personal lunar altar.
- Use white or silver candles and altar cloths
- Lunar Goddesses: Isis, Artemis, Diana, Hecate, Kwan Yin
- Lunar Herbs: mugwort, camphor, sandalwood
- Lunar Metal: silver
- Lunar Stones: moonstone, selenite, pearl, mother of pearl, sapphire
- Draw the symbol for the Moon on your candles
- Make a medicine bag representing what you want to transform and consecrate it; carry your medicine bag next to your skin
Tell no one about your spell work! Make a strong floor wash out of mugwort and a pinch of camphor, and clean ritual area and psychic tools with it.
©1997-2005. Sarolta G. DeFaltay
DSAS, Inc. Deep Skies Astrological Services
This is a very special exercise that is important to your ability to tap into Magick energy at any time (and for almost any reason). This exercise, not only creates the solid “base” from which your spell power comes from – but it also cleanses you of negative energy (including stress). The exercise can be done at any time, but is particularly effective during the dark of the moon.
There are 2 kinds of sacred space:
- Internal Sacred Space
- External Sacred Space.
Obviously, Internal Sacred space exists within your heart – and External Sacred Space exists outside of your body (for example, your altar, and the area surrounding it).
So many people practicing Witchcraft are so focused on the External Sacred Space… they make their altar just perfect, they cleanse their circle, decorate it, etc… don’t get me wrong, these things are very important! The more energy you put into your External Sacred Space the better your spells will work – without a doubt!
But can you guess what is at least 10 times more important than External Sacred Space? Yup, you guessed it – your Internal Sacred Space!
And some Witches completely ignore it… it’s a shame because if you set up your Internal Sacred Space properly, it will effect your Magick in amazing ways – much more than things in your External Sacred Space (like the color of your altar cloth, etc.).
I completely understand the attention being paid to External Sacred Space, because the sight of a beautifully done altar, in a perfectly clean External Sacred Space is a wonderful, spiritual thing to behold.
But it’s your Internal Sacred Space that is the “fuel” behind every kind of Magick you ever do. So let’s do something that a lot of Witches never get around to doing. Let’s set up your Internal Sacred Space now…
- Find a quiet place where you can sit down and concentrate. Preferably outside on a nice day, but you can also find a quiet place in your house where you feel at peace.
- Grab a pen and a piece of paper of clean 8 ½ x 11 notebook paper, sit in a comfortable position, and close your eyes.
- Take a few deep breaths and think of emotional and sacred things in your life. These could be fond memories, certain people in your life, emotions, feelings, important objects, places, etc.
- If you think of negative things, immediately “sweep” them out of your mind. When you are done, you need to only be left with all of the sacred things in your mind. Relax, and concentrate until you feel you are “ready”.
When you open your eyes, let your list fall out of your pen and onto the paper. Just let it flow. I want you to write down everything in a list. Be as detailed as you possibly can about each sacred thing you can think of. (Remember, these are sacred things to YOU, and they can be anything that brings positive emotion into your heart)
When you are done, turn the paper over.
- Now, close your eyes again and think of everything that is NOT sacred to you.
- Think about your biggest long term problems, things that irritate you, things that make you sad.
- Nobody is perfect, think about your flaws as a person.
- Think about anything that brings negative emotion into your heart.
Once you have brought them all into your mind, open your eyes and write them all down on the back of the same paper. All of these negative things will keep you from creating your sacred space. You will soon find out how to keep them out of your sacred space so that you will have a true place of power within you for spell work.
Fold up the paper and get ready for the next step:
- You’ve now got your lists. On the front you have a list of things that are “sacred” to you.
- On the back you have a list of all things that are NOT sacred (the things that bring negative emotions into your heart).
- Now, you will need to gather a few tools to use to finish the building blocks of your Internal Sacred Space.
Gather the following items:
- White candle in a holder
- Matches, or a lighter
- A glass (or ceramic) bowl
- A glass of water
Set them all up in front of you:
- When you are ready, light the candle.
- Let it become your focus.
- Feel the heat and energy coming from the candle.
- Visualize it’s energy surrounding you, enveloping you in it’s light and warmth. Let it’s light fill the aura around your body.
- See this light purifying your energy, filling your heart with it’s pure, white glow.
- After you feel warm and pure from the light of the candle, take the paper and unfold it.
- Slowly read the list of sacred things aloud. Allow yourself to pause between each one and think deeply on it. When you have gone through your entire list, say the following aloud, and with purpose:
“These Sacred things that I see
Make them all a part of me
Help me raise the energy!”
- Now visualize each item from your list rising up off of the paper to brighten the white purifying light around you.
- Next, fold the paper back up without even looking at the list of negative things.
- Gently hold the folded paper into the fire on the candle (be very careful not to burn yourself or anything around you).
- Once the paper catches fire, drop it immediately into the bowl.
Now say aloud:
“Cleanse the Space inside of me
And rid all negativity
I accept no less –
So Mote It Be”
- Now watch the flames carefully as they burn the rest of the paper while you focus on feeling your positive sacred energy full of grand emotions.
- Feel the energy again, surrounding you and cleansing your space with white purifying light, filled with all of your sacred things.
- Pour some water into the bowl to put out the rest of the flames and as to “cleanse” all the negativity from your space.
- Now snuff out the candle.
You have now set up your basic internal sacred space that you are going to build on in the future. When you first set up your sacred space in this way, do this once a week for 4 weeks to reinforce it and grow the power of your space. (you can write down different things, or the same things every time)
Going forward, you are going to want to do this once a month to keep your sacred space clean so that your Magick will work to it’s fullest and won’t be tainted with negativity.
Source: Rose Ariadne
This exercise expands your experience beyond the realm of personal energy and into the feelings of Earth energy. Our ancestors slept on the Earth and exchanged energy with it every day. Most people barely touch the Earth now, with the ubiquity of shoes and floors. Earth walking helps us come back into balance with the energy field of the Earth. Earth walking is a simple meditative walk outside.
Start in some natural setting, on grass, in a field or park, on the beach, or in the woods, rather than on concrete or asphalt. If you feel comfortable enough to do this barefoot, so much the better, but with practice, you will feel this experience through your shoes. Walk slowly and meditatively. Be aware of the Earth below your feet. Be aware of your personal energy, the auric field around you, touching the land, where your energy mingles. As you inhale, imagine that you are not only breathing in through your mouth, but breathing in through your feet.
My yoga teacher tells me that a wise man breathes through the sole of his feet. I think that applies to a wise witch, too. Imagine drawing in life force, Earth energy, through your feet as you walk. This energy grounds and centers you. It bolsters your metabolism and energy level, creating health and joy in the moment. For now, don’t worry about doing anything special while exhaling. Breathe normally. The excess energy will be released naturally through your daily activity. We release energy all the time. Focus on the connection you make to the Earth.
When on these walks, look for a quiet place that could serve as a meditation spot for later exercises. When you feel you are done with this experience, walk and breathe normally and resume your day-to-day activities. If you feel too energized, too charged, get on your hands and knees, placing your palms on the ground. Imagine the excess energy flowing out of your palms and even pouring out of your head. You release only the excess energy to the Earth, grounding yourself. As you release this energy, you can place the intent that such energy be used for healing the planet. This is a basic method of grounding yourself if you are not releasing excess energy.
The greatest lesson to learn about working with these energies is that all energies and powers are fundamentally neutral, meaning they are not good or evil. At times we can pick up on the energy of a place or person and feel it is “bad” energy, but it is only energy being used for a less than good intention. Intention rules everything. Electricity is electricity; it can be used to power a light build, a life-support machine or an electric chair. The energy itself does not judge its use, so people who use the energy must take responsibility. Personal, Earth, Sky, and Divine energies can be used to heal or to harm, depending on the intention behind the action.
Power moves are movements that we make with our bodies that assist us in concentrating and directing the energy. Most martial art use power moves to one degree or another. When people dance from their hearts, they are doing power moves, allowing the power to speak through their bodies. Power moves are a dance of power. Tai Chi is an ancient example of power moves.
Whenever you handle energy, you receive it with your left hand and send it with your right hand. Your left hand acts as an antenna and your right hand broadcasts the energy you have received. If you are open to its direction, power will instruct you-it will “tell” you what to do. Flowing with that energy can be a powerful and centering experience. It can also be distressing when you fight it or cannot control it. This dance of power begins as you relax and become mentally centered.
Stand quietly with your legs shoulder-width apart. Mentally give the power permission to flow through you and ask it to guide you. Raise your hands and hold them in front of you. Let your hands and body move as you feel guided. Your movements will be smooth and rhythmic, almost like a ballet. Power moves are a form of moving meditation. They are relaxing and energizing. As you do them, you collect a great deal of power in your body. They are healing to both mind and body.
If it feels appropriate, you can play gentle music or light a candle. Relax and let the energy move your body. Notice how it feels as it flows through you. After you have relaxed into the energy, allow it to move you for about fifteen minutes and then stop. Gently sit down and close your eyes. Ask the universe how to use the energy you have collected. If you don’t get a specific answer, send the energy to Mother Earth so it can heal the planet, yourself, and the people you love.
Allow yourself to bathe in the joy of that energy. If you are having a difficult time feeling the guidance of the energy, start with your hands. Hold them in front of your face and move your right hand clockwise and your left hand counter- clockwise. Move them slowly and rhythmically in and out. Gently notice how it feels. Then while you are sitting in a chair, begin moving your legs in a circular motion, noticing how it feels.
After you are comfortable with those movements, stand up and again begin with your hands. First move one hand out and away from you and then step rhythmically out with one of your legs. Next do the same with the other hand and leg. Slowly begin moving around the room. Notice your body and let yourself enjoy its movements. Allow the process to be sensual and rhythmic.
Be gentle with yourself as you practice allowing your awareness to expand. Enjoy the process.
- Practice finding power spots wherever you go.
- Find your special power spot. We all have places on this earth that are sacred to us. Take time to find your sacred place. Once you find it, spend some time there. Let that place heal you and fill you with its love. Let your heart guide you to that place. It will call to you if you are willing to listen.
- Buy a packet of seeds and divide it in half. Do some power moves and then sit quietly with half of the seeds. Allow yourself to feel their life energy and then slowly begin channeling energy to them. Mentally see them growing big and strong. Plant each group of seeds in separate pots and give them equal care. Notice how much healthier the energized group is.
On your altar place two red candles at either end. Before doing this, rub the two candles with rose essential oil. This spell is best begun on a Friday, the day of the week devoted to the Goddess Aphrodite, perform this task to attract your beloved.
Write your name on one candle, and your beloved’s on the other. If you do not know his or her name, simply write “my beloved” or “my true love.” Try to use language that will ensure positive magic. If you simply write “handsome” you may well end up with someone gorgeous, but who is harmful for you in some other way.
Each evening at seven, light the candles and move them slightly closer together. Carve into your candle a word of special significance to you, perhaps taken from insights while meditating. Perhaps the word “devoted” should be carved into your beloved’s candle. On your own, write the same. Meditate on this quality for several minutes, then snuff out the candles. Repeat this for seven nights, using a different quality each time, until on the seventh, the following Friday, both candles are finally standing as close together as possible. Light them and let them burn down and out.
If any wax remains, scatter it before you as you walk through a beautiful place, wishing it to bring good fortune to others hoping for love.
The idea is to relax in your personal meditational spot – you know where it’s nice, cozy, silent and you’re sure not to be disturbed for at least half an hour, and build up some Zee Energy. Burn some frankincense or copal incense or whatever works for you.
When you think you’ve reached a highly charged, powerful state envision a cone of power going counter-clockwise (for banishing) like a cyclone above your house, slowly bring the cone down into your house and envision all the little nasty energies being taken up into the cyclone squealing and kicking and being enveloped by the giant cone.
Drive the cone down below your house and deep into the earth, using the earth’s magnetic field to rise through the cone and clear out all the little nasty creatures and energies. Once you are sure nothing is clinging, when you feel that the earth energy has cleared it, take the cone back up into your house and go through the process again, a little bit stronger and more determined this time, so as any smart little things can be washed out in the “rinse cycle”.
Again, plunge the cone deep into the earth and clear it again. When it has cleared, allow the cone rise out of your house, high into the sky, and disperse into the sunshine.
Relax and feel the positive energy and the lack of negativity in your house. Focus now on positive thoughts and the things that you love. All is well.
Spell by Madame Fortuna
Coconut possesses a very special aroma. Not only is it sensuous and evocative…. but it provides long-term spiritual purification. Here is a great idea for a purification ritual using the scent and the energy of the coconut. This spell is most effective if you make the candle yourself.
To make the candle, you will need:
- Candle wax which can be found at any craft store – white or brown are the preferred colors.
- A candle wick – which can also be found at the craft store.
- Something to heat the wax with.
- A good set of instructions (it might come with the wax) – or watch this video on how to make a candle.
- Coconut essential oil – be sure that this is a natural product, not a synthetic chemical substitute.
- A hollowed out half coconut shell – if you cannot get the real thing, you can substitute any suitable container. (Remember, it’ll be holding hot wax and a burning candle.)
Here’s what you’ll do:
Prepare the candle shell before melting the wax. Use any type of container you choose, but a hollowed out half coconut shell is the best.
Melt the wax until it’s liquid. Stir in pure coconut extract. The quantity depends on your desired intensity of fragrance.
Make sure the wick is attached securely to the container by holding it in place until the wax hardens, or by attaching it to a pencil stick laid across the top of the container.
Pour the scented wax into the container. Allow the wax to harden.
NOTE: If you wish, supplement the fragrance with a few drops of ginger, frankincense, or lemon essential oils…this is not required though.
Now that the candle is made and finished, here’s the meditation that goes with it:
Put on some calming music… whatever calms you. It must be peaceful. The room should be dimly lit, and you should sit comfortably in front of your candle.
Light the candle. Close your eyes and visualize the purity from the candle going into your nose, and through your whole body…cleansing your spirit. Visualize being filled with a cleansing white light of pure energy and purity. Then very softly say three times… “My spirit is cleansed from this moment on…”
Let the candle burn for 15 minutes while you sit, relax, reflect, and breath deep…
Spell by: Rose Ariadne